Menu

Homeschoolers in NYC or anywhere else in New York

My dh may be transferring from his job here in London, UK to the company's office in NYC.  I am VERY nervous about this transfer.  Homeschooling here in the UK is easy in that I don't have to report anything to anyone.  We do not unschool, but we are pretty relaxed and use an eclectic mix of materials.  Before moving here 2 1/2 years ago we lived in Delaware, which also had very lenient homeschool laws.  I only had to report how many students I was schooling at the beginning of the year and then report how many days of school we did at the end of the year.  New York's laws scare me to death!  My dc will be in grades 11,10,6 and 2.  Please tell me homeschooling in NY isn't as bad as it seems!!

Also, for those who live in NYC, is there an active community of homeschoolers?  

Any other information about living in NYC in general is also greatly appreciated.  I never lived in a city until moving to London.  I love London, but can't say I have loved living here.  Mostly because it is so far from family and I am not a city person.  NYC is probably our only option in order to get back to the US without dh switching jobs.  It'll probably still mean city living, but most of our families live in Delaware and New Jersey.  Being close to them is a huge plus.

Homeschooling in NY isn't that bad. This group is an awesome yahoo group for NY homeschoolers.  Many people there are very knowledgeable about the regulations.  Basically, a letter of intent, a homeschool plan for each child, quarterly reports, and some final assessment either parent done narrative or testing you choose depending on the age of the child which you can also administer.  There are no portfolio requirements, you don't have to involve a third party.  The yahoo group has lots of examples of the paper work for you to model on as well.  As for NYC, there are many groups and the extras are amazing, such as access to all the museums etc.

Homeschooling in NY isn't that bad. This group is an awesome yahoo group for NY homeschoolers.  Many people there are very knowledgeable about the regulations.  Basically, a letter of intent, a homeschool plan for each child, quarterly reports, and some final assessment either parent done narrative or testing you choose depending on the age of the child which you can also administer.  There are no portfolio requirements, you don't have to involve a third party.  The yahoo group has lots of examples of the paper work for you to model on as well.  As for NYC, there are many groups and the extras are amazing, such as access to all the museums etc.

Wow!  I guess that's doable, but it sounds like a lot to me.....especially for four children.  It's going to be a big adjustment coming from not having to report anything.  

Thank you for the link.  For some reason it is not letting me join.  I keep getting an "an error has occurred, please try again" message.  I'll try again tomorrow.

NY's regs have lots of words, but they don't mean all that much.  Even I could do it, lol.

Good to know.  I'm especially intimidated by all the specific subjects that have to be covered and the quarterly reports.  And what happens if we decide not to use a particular book or curricula after all or make a change to something else?

Homeschooling in NYS is really not so bad! Plenty of relaxed hsers and unschoolers do fine with the reporting regs.

Definitely join the NYHEN Yahoo group to learn about reporting requirements.

Also, NYC has an active homeschool community: join NYCHEA to get on the Yahoo lists (here is the link: https://nychea.org)

Thank you.  An active homeschooling community is going to be important for us.  

Good to know.  I'm especially intimidated by all the specific subjects that have to be covered and the quarterly reports.  And what happens if we decide not to use a particular book or curricula after all or make a change to something else?

Well, if you read the regs carefully, they say to provide "a list of the syllabi, curriculum materials, textbooks, or a plan of instruction."  So don't tell them which materials you want to use. Or tell them, but there's nothing that says you can't change, or that you have to tell them which page in which book you used (if you used a text). You tell them "a description of the material covered in each subject, and (3) a grade or narrative evaluation in each subject (the superintendent has no authority to judge the adequacy of these reports)."

You could always live across the river in NJ.  We have NO homeschool requirements at all and there's a very active community in Essex County (GECHO).  it's not a bad commute especially if you just hop the train.  As expensive as NJ is, it's usually still cheaper than living in the city.

There's no problem if you change. I just start reporting progress in the new book or I start reporting the topics that are covered. Think of the regs as being more broad than that they want to know everything you are doing. It's more that they want to know you have a plan and that you are progressing. They don't really care how you do that.

It's not so bad. You get in a groove. I have a template for each child and just "save as" a new quarter and then type out the progress. At this point it takes 5-10 minutes a child. The IHIPs take a bit more time but it's really just listing what you are doing. You can say:

ABeka Science 4

or

We will cover physical science using library books, videos and hands on experiments.

For the quarterly you would list:

ABeka Science 4, Chapters 1-2

Or

We covered simple machines and forces.

I hope all that isn't too confusing. It's more of a nuisance than a burden.

My dh may be transferring from his job here in London, UK to the company's office in NYC.  I am VERY nervous about this transfer.  Homeschooling here in the UK is easy in that I don't have to report anything to anyone.  We do not unschool, but we are pretty relaxed and use an eclectic mix of materials.  Before moving here 2 1/2 years ago we lived in Delaware, which also had very lenient homeschool laws.  I only had to report how many students I was schooling at the beginning of the year and then report how many days of school we did at the end of the year.  New York's laws scare me to death!  My dc will be in grades 11,10,6 and 2.  Please tell me homeschooling in NY isn't as bad as it seems!!

Also, for those who live in NYC, is there an active community of homeschoolers?  

Any other information about living in NYC in general is also greatly appreciated.  I never lived in a city until moving to London.  I love London, but can't say I have loved living here.  Mostly because it is so far from family and I am not a city person.  NYC is probably our only option in order to get back to the US without dh switching jobs.  It'll probably still mean city living, but most of our families live in Delaware and New Jersey.  Being close to them is a huge plus.

I just wanted to chime in here and say that homeschooling in NYC is so amazing.  The resources and experiences are endless.  The paperwork is really easy - the NYC district office never bothers you and they give the kids Metrocards to get around town for free.  There are several very active homeschool groups, like NYCHEA, the homeschoolnewyork Yahoo group, and many others in the outerboroughs, Long Island, and nearby upstate.  

I've been homeschooling in the city since 2005, so feel free to ask more questions.  :)

It is really not a big deal. The specific subjects are pretty much what most people do anyway. We have covered health with the same thing every single year "(Child name) will understand the relationship between good nutrition and health. He will demonstrate good hygiene. He will practice good traffic, water, bicycle, and fire safety"

And if you decide to use a different book you just tell them you changed. I have. I say "blah blah book wasn't meeting our educational needs so we switched to yadda yadda book for the rest of the year. He has made adequate progress this quarter."

I swear once you do it, the whole thing takes 10 mins. And everyone I know reuses them for their younger kids. I am using all the same materials for my younger son, so I see no reason for writing the IHIPS twice. Just make sure to change the dates and the names. One friend realized she hadn't on one she had already sent in and nothing was ever said. Honestly I am not sure they really read them. I  know my homeschool liaison does because he always sends back a very nice note that mentions specific things, but he could just be skimming.

You can give them the PASS test at the end of every year or two if anyone bothers to ask. It's not timed and basic skills. Really school districts do not have the money to keep on top of home schoolers. They do their best to check for the paper work they are required to have by law but they don't have anyone to go through it carefully or call you or anything.

You can give them the PASS test at the end of every year or two if anyone bothers to ask. It's not timed and basic skills. Really school districts do not have the money to keep on top of home schoolers. They do their best to check for the paper work they are required to have by law but they don't have anyone to go through it carefully or call you or anything.

I have not found this to be true at all. The Central Office in NYC gives you a few months leeway but they send letters in the spring if you are behind on your quarterly reports. And they get uptight if you neglect to send an annual assessment and send a letter in the fall...and won't give your child a Metrocard until you are up to date. They also make phone calls and home visits if you are really behind. The paperwork is tedious...but they do notice if you don't send it in. They were way more relaxed 10 years ago.

When I was schooling 4, it took me about 2 hours every quarter, mostly because I am not super organized and I would have to go look at their books to see exactly what I should put! I use a template to speed things up, and my husband proofs them - he always notices when I forget to change a date or something else is screwy. Now that I am only schooling 2, it goes a lot faster.

Our LEAH group in Brooklyn has been doing a lot more (just finished our first Co-op!), and I know that the Queens and Staten Island groups are busy. I have known a few women in NYCHEA and they seem like a great group! You definitely have options.

Thank you!  It seems like no big deal.  I'm just worried about having to deal with it in the middle of a move in the middle of the school year.  

It's so good to hear there are lots of homeschool groups for support!

I have not found this to be true at all. The Central Office in NYC gives you a few months leeway but they send letters in the spring if you are behind on your quarterly reports. And they get uptight if you neglect to send an annual assessment and send a letter in the fall...and won't give your child a Metrocard until you are up to date. They also make phone calls and home visits if you are really behind. The paperwork is tedious...but they do notice if you don't send it in. They were way more relaxed 10 years ago.

When I was schooling 4, it took me about 2 hours every quarter, mostly because I am not super organized and I would have to go look at their books to see exactly what I should put! I use a template to speed things up, and my husband proofs them - he always notices when I forget to change a date or something else is screwy. Now that I am only schooling 2, it goes a lot faster.

Our LEAH group in Brooklyn has been doing a lot more (just finished our first Co-op!), and I know that the Queens and Staten Island groups are busy. I have known a few women in NYCHEA and they seem like a great group! You definitely have options.

Part of that has to do with the local person who is the liaison. That does drive me nuts. If the district gets a liaison who bothers to learn about homeschool law and is generally comfortable with homeschooling, then things are easy peasy. But, all it takes is a new hire and things can get escalate very quickly. Things got very ugly in the next district over from me when they hired a new person who did not believe that NY has homeschool regs and she couldn't make her own.

And as for sending letters in the spring if you are behind in quarterlys and getting 'uptight' if you don't send an assessment etc, that is just making sure you are following the regulations. We are not supposed to get behind with quarterlys. The school teachers get the same treatment with their own quarterly reports for each student. We are supposed to send in the end of year assessment, just like the school teachers do. If we don't follow the regs, then why should the school district?

That said, there is more leeway in some districts than others. We just sent in our last two quarterly reports last night. :blushing:  And I can't do our end of year assessment yet because I am having the boys take the CAT test this week. I forgot about it :blushing: :blushing:

I didn't get a email asking me to submit my reports, but I am sure I got it in just under the wire. All they do is send a letter reminding you to do it. It's not a biggie. I did have a friend get a rather serious phone call, but she was only doing her paperwork once a year. She was sending in last year's paperwork in August. She fully admits she messed that up, lol.

I agree one has to do the paper work but I don't know anyone who was called because of content.

I can see that it depends on the district...here all homeschoolers in the 5 boroughs send our reports to the same office. So if the OP were to move in NYC, she should be aware that the office actually checks to be sure that you send them in.

Of course, it is only a problem if you don't fulfill the law! Last year I got a letter in September asking about my daughters annual assessment...we were doing "summer school" and I was going to have her take it at the end of August. I had forgotten about it. Totally my bad! The first letter is not a big deal - but after the second/third letter, they start to really get involved! And a woman who used to be in our group stopped filing her reports because her teens wouldn't do their work, and then got so behind she said she could not handle it. She got a lot of attention form the office...and then she left our group and I heard that she put them back in school.

Really, if you stay fairly current they don't seem to care about anything. I am quite vague on my reports and I doubt they read them that closely - just need them on file.