Menu

when mommy goes on bed rest...

I am 26 weeks along with number 4 and have a complete previa, everything has been fine up to this point but I have started bleeding which means I go on strict bed rest for the next 12 weeks. I need some ideas on how you would carry on with school whilst in bed. I have to carry on because they're half a year behind in history and science, up to date with language arts and maths

These are the curriculums we're using

OPGR

FLL 1 AND 2

WWE 1 AND 2

AAS level 1

MUS primer, alpha, beta

SOTW2

AiG our planet

Play and learn French

And then I just wing art and music

Looking forward to reading your ideas

I am 26 weeks along with number 4 and have a complete previa, everything has been fine up to this point but I have started bleeding which means I go on strict bed rest for the next 12 weeks. I need some ideas on how you would carry on with school whilst in bed. I have to carry on because they're half a year behind in history and science, up to date with language arts and maths

These are the curriculums we're using

OPGR

FLL 1 AND 2

WWE 1 AND 2

AAS level 1

MUS primer, alpha, beta

SOTW2

AiG our planet

Play and learn French

And then I just wing art and music

Looking forward to reading your ideas

I had to go on bedrest for #4 as well, but my oldest was in K, so no big stress. I am sorry for you! And I hope your pregnancy remains safe. That's the important thing, so don't jeopardize that for schooling.

My first thought is that you are up-to-date in LA and math, so it doesn't matter if you're behind in history and science. I would immediately drop science. I would drop any projects in SOTW. I would do school in bed. All the books right there, or student brings them back and forth for you. I would also drop AAS1, just for this time. Can't do that in bed! So it seems obviously cut. OPGTR is enough phonics for now, and when you pick up spelling again after baby is born, they will master the lessons sooner. So that'll be enough phonics, and spelling will be caught up.

MUS, just watch the videos, and put the blocks you need in a bag, just enough to get you through. Hopefully you don't have to do any lessons on place value/decimal street?! Those always take the most manipulative work. Maybe move a children's table into your room?

All worksheets are done nearby you at a little table or right there on the bed with a hard surface underneath. Of course, you're more understanding about handwriting sloppiness. :) French is out. Since you wing art and music, that's out too. You need to triage right now, and baby's health is more important. Perhaps even take 4 weeks completely off school to get this baby further along in pregnancy and catch up afterwards. Do NOT put stress on yourself because of history and science in 1st and 2nd grade!

I have only had modified bed rest, but we have to plan for it every time. I also have a chronic illness,  so this is our ongoing reality.

OPGTR and SOTW -read and discuss only- can be done in bed, laying on the couch, in a lounge chair, anywhere you can lay down. Lap desks would be a good investment. WWE can be done on the little desks or the floor. I can't help with math, but I would consider switching to workbooks for this time. We use LOF with supplements. This will be good for us when I am glued to the couch.

FLL I would cut back to the essentials, mostly oral work.

I would drop everything else. If you really need science, pick a topic and just read and discuss. 

I'm guessing by the curricula you listed that your kids are, what, 8-9 and under. You mentioned being behind in science and history. Please don't stress about this. I know, I know, easier said than done. But take it from a mom with older kids that your kids could only read the science and history topics which interested them for the next several years and they would be fine.

History and science are gravy. I promise. In this season math, phonics/reading, handwriting, spelling are the meat.

Were I in your shoes I'd:

(1) put my dh in charge of weekly library runs and provide him with lists of what to check out

(2) subscribe to something like Audible.com for audio books for everyone (or check them out from your library)

(3) work on math and reading/phonics daily with the school age kids, maybe spelling depending on their level

(4) require mandatory, non-negotiable quiet (or nap) time. This can be your assigned silent reading time.

(5) either check-out or stream lots of good science and history documentaries. There are a tone out there!

(6) focus on resting and not stressing :)

I promise your kids will be fine. If you need a list, then every Sunday evening sketch out what you want to accomplish for the week. It will be great! Good luck with everything.

I was on bed rest from 18wks-36wks with the twins. Oldest was doing 1st grade. I was on meds also to stop labor that made me a bit woozy.

I would equip a "workbook" for you  with clipboards, books, pencils, maybe a small white board. I would also get just library books for the topics you want to cover in science & history(place holds at the library and have someone pick it up for you or order from Amazon or get ebooks to read aloud). MUS could be done in bed. Even AAS tiles could be used on a cookie sheet (one of the big non-coated ones).

We read a lot and watched some science videos on you tube. Grammar I did using flash cards (we were using Shurley). Math was MUS for us back then and a flat board worked fine. Our room was small, but I made spaces they could sit with a clipboard and finish a worksheet or curl up with a book next to the bed.

I was on 24 weeks of bedrest give or take, with my multiples, many hugs and best wishes to you.   I agree with everyone else.  Drop everything but the 3 R's.  If you are really worried about science and history then audio books or videos are enough at this age, kids can easily pick up these things later, science and history are rotations for a reason, they repeat.   I would focus on OPGR, WWE, MUS, and just reading books, listening to audio books, and watching quality videos or documentaries.  As perspective, we just took a year break with all my kids.  We did the basics in math and english, and everything else was interest led with library books and read alouds, and some of my kids are much older than yours.  

Rest and grow a healthy baby. :)

I'm going to say that you can't really be behind in history or science in the elementary grades.  I would focus on assigned reading, read alouds, and audio books for literature, history, and science.  I would do whatever math works for your family.  If MUS is working, then keep using it.  If it starts feeling like too much, then try just doing review worksheets for awhile.  As for writing, if you can keep up with WWS great. If that is too much, then I would let them either write or orally narrate what they have read. Streaming video and dvd watching will probably be your friends for awhile, but reading, reading, and more reading will be the best thing you can do.  

Wishing you a happy, healthy baby!

But what about the 3rs? I'm a tick the box kinda person so the thought of not being able to tick off is freaking me out... Would we ever catch up?

So make a list of all the books you want you read when, make a chart of the days and chapters and check them off. You will know you've accomplished something.

Catch up to what? I know what you mean, but who are you trying to impress? You don't need to finish things by a certain date. It's your school, your home, your rules. You're the boss.

Placenta previa is a real serious thing. Are you willing to risk your life and your child's life over a few months difference in math skills? Drop it. Do skip counting songs in bed. Watch educational videos. Neflix has a bunch of leapfrog ones. Watch documenatries, listen to audio books, read books. Coloring! You can get coloring books about any subject off of amazon. And relax. You can make up the math/english one summer between now and graduating at age 18. Seriously, it is NOT a big deal. Call it a summer break and be done. 

So make a list of all the books you want you read when, make a chart of the days and chapters and check them off. You will know you've accomplished something.

Catch up to what? I know what you mean, but who are you trying to impress? You don't need to finish things by a certain date. It's your school, your home, your rules. You're the boss.

I hear you, I think I forget why we homeschool. Because a book says do xyz,I feel like I'm failing if I don't do xyz.

Sigh...

I've done complete bedrest with all of my pregnancies. With #3, I was on hospital bedrest from 27 weeks on, which really sucked. At least with #4, I was home.

When I was on bedrest with #4, school focused a lot on reading and watching documentaries, because that was pretty much all I could do. Each morning, the kids did their math and brought completed work to me. Then I just had them read and we all watched documentaries together, except for my son who hated documentaries. It didn't ruin their long term development at all to take things slower for a while. :)

Another tip, if you're not already aware... There's a non-profit organization called Sidelines that provides support for pregnant moms on bedrest. My Sidelines peer support counselor was awesome, and helped a lot.

I would put what you have mostly on hold and use this time to read together. They could continue printing something every day to build their printing stamina, but other than that I would read.

Can you put books on hold at your library from your computer? Do you have a tablet or ereader? I would get someone to bring library books you request each week. For science, you can do the Let's Read and Find Out series, the Robert Wells science books, Seymour Simon, or Magic School Bus. You could read classics together (most of which are available free in ebook form). You could ask the kids for topics they want to learn about or types of stories they want to hear and then get those from the library. You could do living math books (check here for huge list: http://www.livingmath.net/ReadersbyConcept/tabid/268/Default.aspx). If you have a tablet they can play math games for math fact practice. You can do poetry readings, read about famous artists and musicians, and listen to wonderful music together (which you may be able to get from your library). Do you have a way to watch DVDs in bed? If so, I would check your library for great documentaries you can all watch.

The important thing is that you get the rest you need and stay in bed. You will be surprised how much they learn from a reading semester or two.

You can do most of that just reading in bed. *nods* See if your husband can drag a work table into the bedroom for the kids and supervise from there. I totally understand, I was on bedrest with all four bio babies for months on end. It's tough to parent from bed but it'll pass and the kids won't remember it a year later.