Menu

Florida people - Is there anyway to keep the lizards out of my house?

Joker

I'm used to one getting inside every now and then but lately it seems there is at least one a day. I'm pretty sure they are getting in through my sliding door in the kitchen but I can't figure out where. We've hurt two of them recently getting them back outside and I really hate that but I don't want them in my kitchen.

Any ideas on where to check for how they are getting in and any ideas for helping them stay outside?

No longer in Florida, but you need a caulk gun and some caulk.  Make sure you get the mold-resistant kind that you can paint over.  Caulk every crack you can find then offer your kids a dollar each for every crack THEY can find.

Yep, caulk any cracks. The lizards (and frogs and toads) here mostly hang out around the doors and windows because the lights at night attract bugs the lizards then eat, so we focus on making sure those are secure. And get a pet that likes to catch lizards, because some always get in. :glare:

Keep bushes and other cover plants trimmed back away from your house, and pull shades at night, so the lizards aren't attracted by light. I'd suggest turning off porch lights if possible, too, and definitely make sure there aren't gaps at windows/doors near a porch light. Getting some solar powered lights away from the house may help, too.

My cat eats the geckos that come in my house, but I am sure that is not the solution you are looking for....

ETA: I am in Texas, not Florida, so the lizards might taste different here :tongue_smilie:

I was also going to suggest a cat. However, if the cat uses them as toys instead of snacks, you will likely find lizard carcasses in the most unlikely places. I unfortunately have personal experience with this.  :tongue_smilie: