Menu

I am hysterical and need a bit of help please (Updated in top post!)

Blueridge

Some reasons why they might have fallen off the wall:

1. Cabinets not attached to studs. Oy!

2. Screws used to fasten cabinets to the wall were too small in diameter or length or didn't have a big enough head.

3. The screwhead ripped through the material used for the back of the cabinet. In this case, the screws would likely still be attached to the wall.

4. Improper cabinet construction (back panel too flimsy or not properly secured to the frame) 

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/causes-cabinets-falling-71586.html

IIRC, a single cabinet should be able to hold at least 500 pounds. I'm not sure if I got that right, but they should be properly and securely attached.

Stay away from the cabinets for now if any from the same business are still up on the wall. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

ETA: That is good they were so prompt in getting back to you.

Our daughter left for a summer in Europe yesterday, we drove 6 hours to the airport to get her there and us back home, so I was already sad and tired. This morning my dh left on a business trip for a week and I was weepy for him to go. This afternoon my beautiful new kitchen cabinets collapsed, throwing literally every beautiful glass jar and special crock I own to the floor. There is more broken glass than I have ever seen. I am crying like a ridiculous 3 year old. I can't seem to figure out what to do. I will call the cabinet shop in the morning, but in the mean time the cabinets are suspended, bending my new Ikea roller cart under the weight on 1 side, cookbooks hanging out over the sea of glass. I am afraid of it falling the rest of the way. Do I leave the mess for the cabinet people to see or keep cleaning it all up?

attachicon.gifmess.jpg

Update: I didn't sleep much last night since I feared the cabinet falling, so I was up and ready early. I called the cabinet shop at 8:00 and told the person what had happened. She said they would get someone out here as quickly as possible. I got a call from the original installer at 8:05, and within 15 minutes there were 3 men here. They got the cabinet down without further damage, cleaned up all the mess, and apologized repeatedly. Before leaving they said the owner will be in touch with me today to discuss all the damages and 'make it right'. New cabinets will be started this morning and hopefully installed this week. I am still quite sad at the loss, but happy with their integrity. I also learned a valuable lesson...never have all your valued things together in one location. :tongue_smilie: Thanks everyone for your support yesterday! It meant so much!

Wow! I have never seen such! I am so glad they are making it right for you. Hugs!

so sad about your things :(.

so glad about the company responding so quickly and so well.

one of the things that has helped me with loss of things that matter to my heart is ebay.  i have replaced more than a few things that way, and for most of them it has helped.  the "new to me" replacements still remind me of the people who used the things that broke/were lost, and it turns out that it is the idea of the person rather than whether they actually used that specific thing that matters to me.

hugs,

ann

Some reasons why they might have fallen off the wall:

1. Cabinets not attached to studs. Oy!

2. Screws used to fasten cabinets to the wall were too small in diameter or length or didn't have a big enough head.

3. The screwhead ripped through the material used for the back of the cabinet. In this case, the screws would likely still be attached to the wall.

4. Improper cabinet construction (back panel too flimsy or not properly secured to the frame) 

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/causes-cabinets-falling-71586.html

IIRC, a single cabinet should be able to hold at least 500 pounds. I'm not sure if I got that right, but they should be properly and securely attached.

Stay away from the cabinets for now if any from the same business are still up on the wall. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

ETA: That is good they were so prompt in getting back to you.

Do be sure the cabinet company does some serious investigation as to what they did wrong, so that the new cabinets are secure. Make sure they can explain the problem, and what they will do differently next time to fix it. Ask questions based on the excellent suggestions in MBM's post - are they using the appropriate size and type of screws, do they feel the cabinet backs are strong enough to hold, and so on.