Menu

How long do you hold an item you're selling for someone?

Hannah

How long after someone has expressed interest in purchasing books will you keep them before letting the person next in line know that they are available? 

Its been 10 days since I advertised books for sale on a local list and I got a mail asking me to hold books a few hours later.  I let the person know the shipping cost, but in spite of sending two follow on mails I've not heard anything more from her. 

Ten days? You're very nice. I would have allowed at most a 24-hour hold, if not said, "First person to offer payment gets the goods." The next in line may have already purchased from someone else by now!

(Disclaimer: I haven't sold curriculum; I'm just getting started with this. But I do regularly sell/give away large amounts of stuff, every 2-3 years before a move. They go to the first person who tells me a day and time when they'll be by to pick them up.)

How long after someone has expressed interest in purchasing books will you keep them before letting the person next in line know that they are available? 

Its been 10 days since I advertised books for sale on a local list and I got a mail asking me to hold books a few hours later.  I let the person know the shipping cost, but in spite of sending two follow on mails I've not heard anything more from her. 

move on down the list.  you've let her know how much they'll cost with shipping, and she hasn't responded. I would consider holding for 24 hours generous - unless I got a notice they would be out of wifi range for a period of time, but they really wanted it.  some people are too wimpy/lazy to say they aren't interested (for whatever reason).   or wanting to keep one door open while looking for a better deal somewhere else.

unless I have an actual time to meet, or there are active attempts to set up a time, we don't have a deal yet - and I will move on.

(and it was oh so sweet, when the only interested party was like your buyer, stringing me along, making more and more demands for a period of weeks - and telling me how costco had the books and she could buy them there.  then I had someone come along and buy the entire lot for what I asked.  the first one did eventually contact me again finally ready to actually buy - and it was with much pleasure I said "they're sold".)

24hrs for the person to let me know unless the person has asked for more time in the first place. If I don't hear anything after 12hrs, I would send a reminder email to ask especially if others are asking for the same items (in my case it was Lego Duplos). Mine are all cash and carry though and the buyer is either a neighbor or neighbor's friends.

I had hold for a neighbor who had confirm purchase and was waiting for her hubby to swing by and get it over the weekends.