Menu

Tomorrow is the day - moving oldest into dorms and leaving him there

I'm still a little in awe that this whole homeschooling 'experiment' worked! And it worked well! In our little town it is thought that 'professional' families just don't homeschool. But now that they see how well our oldest ds has done, some of the die-hard public schoolers are thinking that homeschooling can be a good thing. The upper social strata here is *very* proud of their public schools (although I haven't figured out why yet :tongue_smilie:).

So, I just want to encourage you all who have younger kids. It can be done and it can be done well.

And to all those moms who are seeing their kiddos off this weekend - I'll be thinking of you as I dry my eyes on the trip home:001_smile:

Saturday is the day for us. I'm so frazzled that I'm not sure that is how you spell Sat. You wouldn't believe the amount of errands I've done this week. Well, yes you would, because you've probably done the same amount. And as usual, I've been labelling clothes. I always seem to be labelling clothes - scout camp, peace walking, and now college. I don't remember my mother labelling my clothes before college, but my son and his friends have a rather communal attitude towards such things. It has been very handy to read the labels and know which friend to return them to when I'm sorting laundry GRIN. I can't imagine that the dorms are going to be any different, hence the labelling. I'll be thinking of you and you can think of me, ok?

-Nan

Ha! I've been living with various piles all over the house for a couple of weeks. Across the back of the couch were 3 piles of clothing - some for hangers, some to be packed, and some for further consideration :-) Thankfully now it's all loaded into the car ready to go. But now I'm stressing because I didn't put his name on anything - argh! Does it count that the brand name on his undies is "Jake" and his name is Jacob?:rofl: Maybe his roomie will leave those alone!

I will be glad to have fewer shoes cluttering up the entryway :D.

That is funny about the underwear! I bet it does help. As I said, I don't remember my stuff being labelled and I don't remember it being a problem. I think it depends on the child. If it worries you (and you wouldn't believe what worries me when I've sent one of mine off somewhere), then pack a sharpie into his desk stuff and tell him to label at least his jacket and backpack when he gets there. And his books and notebooks, of course. Those, I do remember having labelled, and I also remember having them returned to me when I'd left them someplace. I just hope my son manages to hang onto his shoes. We go without so much that it is really easy to walk out of someplace leaving them behind and not notice. Fewer shoes in the entryway is definately good, a good thing that hadn't occurred to me. I no sooner managed to get the piles from our 2 month trip put away than the piles for college showed up. The living room has been unusable for weeks.

It is so strange, how fast the years go. I am still having trouble accepting the fact that my "baby" isn't even a toddler any more...and meanwhile, my "big" baby (oldest) is drawing ever closer to my height. Sigh.

(((Cynthia))), I hope all goes well tomorrow. Where will your son be attending college?

I know what you mean about the errands. You think you've got everything covered and then you remember something you need. We've even discovered a couple of things tonight. I told Dh we'd just have to get it tomorrow once we get there. I didn't label my dd's stuff, didn't even think about it but it should be okay, she's packed a sharpie so we can label her stuff tomorrow if we have to. I've been doing pretty well up until this evening. It's finally hitting me that my friend and confidant is going away. It will just be me, my husband and my ds. 2 men against 1 woman. What am I going to do?

We're leaving bright and early (6 am) this Sunday to drive my son off to college. (My dd will leave the following Sunday). :auto:

Today's list -- we still need sunglasses and we need to go to the bank. I am TRYING to be organized but it isn't going well!

I know that he is ready, and I know that it is time for him to go, but reading this thread made me cry!

Hugs to all of you who are sending your not-so-little-ones off. (I'm not sure that the smile of the emoticon in the car is appropriate here!)

:grouphug:

And in a week should we get together for hugs, stories about the drop-off, and :lurk5:?

I wish I had a new baby. This year is the beginning of the end of me. The middle one goes (probably) next year and my youngest just grew taller than I am this summer, and we're starting his high school record. I guess I'll have to settle for the dog my oldest is leaving behind. Animals are good, right? Most people I know have done it the other way round - gotten a puppy first, then discovered what they really wanted was a baby and had one of those. I'm the other way, getting the dog last when I have no more babies. She's amazingly satisfactory. I think I just need to be taking care of something constantly. But I'm babbling now. We're going to the beach today, after we finish dealing with the electrician and the last of the packing.

(((Alyce))) You know, one of the nice things about college is that it is in session much less than high school. Your daughter will be home for almost half the year, unless she opts to do winter or summer terms. I remember my father complaining that he was paying an awful lot for my sister to be home so much. She got out early in April and didn't go back until Sept. I got out at the end of May, but I had more than 6 weeks at Christmas plus all the normal public school week-long breaks. (I'm been 4 to just me. The people at the animal shelter couldn't understand why I was so set on getting a girl cat.)

I love/hate threads like this, because I know my time is coming next year. It all makes me want to start crying one year early. Best wishes to all of you packing up your big kids and sending them off. Prayers for the moms, and prayers for the kids, too!!

And BTW, can any of you post the list of necessaries that I'll need to be shopping for next year? :001_smile:

You asked for it! This list is from the school district where my niece attends school, but my sister-in-law has added some items. It is VERY complete! :tongue_smilie:

Belmont (MA) High School’s College Supply Listing*You will not need everything on this list, but you

will find good suggestions from which to pick and choose.

Category Item

Banking

SUGGESTION: Plan ahead so that the following accounts are ready for use

before heading off to college

Checking account

Savings account

ATM/debit card

Credit card/ traveler’s checks (for travel in case of emergency)

BathBath Shower caddy

Shower shoes

Bathrobe

Slippers

Towels

Wash cloths

Soap dish

Facial soap

Body soap

Drinking cup (shatterproof)

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Floss

Shower cap

Shampoo, conditioner

Shaving items

Deodorant

Clothing Underwear/bras/socks

Pajamas

Bathrobe

Belts

Formal outfits

Pants/skirts

Shorts

Shirts

Beach towel/swim suit

Sweaters/sweatshirts

Athletic shoes

Casual Shoes

Dress shoes

Computer

SUGGESTION: Check with college before purchasing

Laptop or hard drive, monitor & keyboard

Printer & cables

Ethernet cables

Surge protectors (6 plug outlet recommended)

Extra print cartridges

software (CDs)

Extension cords

Gel wrist rest

Desk

Backpack

Student planner

Desk lamp

Clip on lamp

Floor lamp

Bulletin board

Dry erase board and markers (for the door)

Calendar (hard copy or computer program)

Dictionary (hard copy or computer program)

Thesaurus (hard copy or computer program)

Supplies SUGGESTION: use Ziploc bags to create small packets of paper clips, rubber bands, push pins, etc.

Pens

Sharpie pen

Pencils

Eraser

Correction fluid

Highlighters

Paper clips (small & large)

Push pins

Sticky tack

Scotch tape/removable mounting tape (double sided tape)

Glue

Packing tape

Rubber bands

Tab dividers/pockets for binders

Hole punch protectors

File folders

Hanging folders/tabs

3x5 note cards

Binders

Binder filler paper

Spiral notebook

Computer printer paper

Post-it notes

Stapler/staples

Scissors

3 hole punch

Ruler

Pencil sharpener

Pencil cup/holder

Letter opener

Flash Drives/CD’s/Diskettes and storage box

Magic markers, colored pencils

Clipboard

Calculator & batteries

Book ends

Lap desk

Note pads

Electronic

Cell phone or Telephone (some colleges supply telephones)

Telephone extension cord

Telephone calling card (great for emergencies or if no power)

Alarm clock or CD player/alarm (w/ battery back up)

CD’s & storage box

MP3 player/headphones

TV (VCR or DVD)

Movies & DVDs

Extension cords (some colleges only allow plug strips)

Plug strips (including 15 ft. extra long)

Tape recorder

First Aid

SUGGESTION: Use sample sizes of toiletries from a store like a Target/Walmart

to create a first aid kit. Use small Ziploc bags to store items within the kit.

Buy generic products as they will be much more economical.

Antihistamine/decongestant

Advil (ibuprofen)

Alka-Seltzer or similar product

Antibiotic ointment

Band-Aids (assorted sizes)

Cough drops

Cough syrup

Dramamine

Hydrocortisone cream/Neosporin

Kaopectate

Scissors/tweezers

Thermometer

Tylenol (acetominiphen)

Benadryl

Vaseline

Vitamins

Aspirin

Any prescription medicines

Rubbing alcohol

Kitchen

SUGGESTION: You know what you will use. Buy accordingly.

Ice cube trays

Refrigerator

Microwave

Flat plate, cereal bowl

Mug

Drinking glass

Knife, fork, spoon

Potholders

Dish towel

Dish detergent

Scouring wand (for detergent)

Scouring pad/SOS

Small pad & lid

Fry pan/sauce pan

Cookie sheet

Serving utensils

Measuring cup

Measuring spoons

Paring knife

Cutting board (small)

Peeler

Can/bottle opener

Chip clips

Sports bottle

Ziploc bags/plastic bags

Paper plates/cups/napkins

Plastic wrap/aluminum foil

Water, soda, juice, hot chocolate

Snacks, microwave popcorn, etc.

Broom

Laundry

Laundry bag or small laundry basket

Mesh lingerie bag

Roll of quarters

Detergent/bleach

Fabric softener sheets

Stain removers

Drying rack

Hangers, pants/skirt hangers

Laundry marker

Iron

Ironing boards (dorms often have these)

Static guard

Linens

Zippered mattress protector (plastic-XL Twin)

Mattress foam/egg crate pad (really helps with older mattresses)

Cotton mattress pad (XL twin)

Pillow

Pillow protector

Pillowcases (good to have an extra set in case sheets do not get washed on a

regular basis)

Sheets (2 sets-XL Twin)

Flannel sheets—XL Twin (depending on the climate)

Blanket

Comforter

Bedrest

Bed reading pillow

Bed light

Miscellaneous

Door mirror

Dust pan/brush

Waste basket (some colleges require metal)

Vacuum (dorms often have these)

Floor rug

Light bulbs

Night light & bulbs

Fan—small size (even if the dorm is air conditioned)

Shelf liner for dresser & desk drawers

Sleeping bag w/ small pillow (for guests)

Cleaning products (Windex, Multipurpose spray cleaner)

Scrap paper

Trash bags

Rain coat/slicker

Winter coat/gloves/boots

Move-in Day

SUGGESTION: Pack the car so that these very important items are accessible

first when you unpack at the dorm.

Shelf liner

Scissors

Paper towels

Sponge

Spray cleaner/Windex

Tools (tape measure, screwdriver, hammer, pliers, etc.)

Surge protectors for computer, telephone, etc.

Ethernet cable

Plug strips (particularly 15 ft. in length for behind dressers, etc.)

Water, juice, snacks

WD-40

Self-stick hooks

Personal

Framed photographs

Photo albums

Posters

Address book

Yearbook

Umbrella

Camera/film

Deck of cards

Frisbee

Sunglasses

Hat

Cash

Wallet

Check book

Personal Care

Contact lenses and case, solutions, glasses

Air freshener

Suntan lotion

Hand sanitizer/wipes

Baby Powder

Hand mirror

Brushes/combs

Hair dryer

Q tips/cotton balls

Travel pouches & plastic pouches

Tissues

Nail clippers/scissors/brush/file

Sunscreen/Insect repellant

Toilet paper

Cosmetics/bag

Curling iron

Hair accessories

Nail polish/remover

Personal hygiene products

Sewing Kit

SUGGESTION: Put a few of the following items in a Ziploc bag

Assorted thread

Needles

Safety pins

Common pins

Buttons

Tape measure

Stationery Kit

SUGGESTION: Use a large Ziploc bag to create a bag of a few of

each of the less essential mailing items.

Address book (small size) that has extended family and neighbors’

addresses and phone numbers (helpful for traveling or emergencies).

You asked for it! This list is from the school district where my niece attends school, but my sister-in-law has added some items. It is VERY complete! :tongue_smilie:

Wowzer! We needed that list 2 days ago. I'm already assembling his first care package!! Oldest ds was delivered to Grove City yesterday (sniff). We feel like he is in the right place. It is wonderfully exciting and slightly painful at the same time.

all other WTM'ers who are moving their dc into college today/this weekend:

I hope your days went smoothly. I found it all a bit overwhelming, but my dh said he was surprised that I handled it as well as I did (no breakdowns or tears, I guess, lol!)

Cynthia, it seems like just a few years ago we were posting about our elemementary-aged boys, and now here we are sending them off to college. Yes, the homeschooling experiment worked in a grand way.:D

Blessings to you and your families!

Deb in PA, aka periwinkle

It's really been fun and educating to follow all of you as you've walked through the process of going from homeschool to college. I do *not* envy any of you the next duty of seeing your dc settled in college. It's a step we'll be taking in 2 short years and I've already resolved to cherish every single moment in the next years that all of my dc are under one roof! Hmm. . . I'll have to remember that the next time I have to wade through their rooms or shush them at bedtime or remind them again for the zillioneth time!

Best wishes as you make the transition ~

Lisa

I think college location and access to a car makes a HUGE difference in how much stuff you send your kid off to college with.

We actually ended up sending our daughter off to college with a fair amount of what was on the list. She definitely headed to college with a LOT more stuff than I did.

HOWEVER, she was going to school in a small rural town that has absolutely NO shopping aside from expensive boutiques in the downtown area, and she did not have a car or access to one. She was VERY appreciative of the fact that she did not need to pay bookstore prices for Tylenol!

We are sending a car with the kids this year, so my son is leaving home with significantly less stuff. If he needs something, he can pop in the car and drive to the local Wal-Mart (which isn't that far away but due to its location on a highway you can't walk to it).

...this year, this list is a help to me. It's a lot of stuff, but I love being able to look at such a comprehensive list to decide what things will be available to a student with no car and what will be best to send with my son.

I'm sending three off to college this year, and I'm glad that the oldest two are off a week before my freshman boards the plane. We haven't started checking off his list yet. I have never gone with my dc to help them settle into their college dorm, so I try to anticipate their needs in advance for their freshman year.

I'm really going to miss them all this year. I think sending my children off to college is the toughest part of homeschooling. They've been such an ever-present part of our family's life that each absence is a vacuum apparent every hour, especially that first semester. It's such a bittersweet time.

I think college location and access to a car makes a HUGE difference in how much stuff you send your kid off to college with.

Yes, that's probably true. My parents didn't go to college themselves (or not in this country, in the case of my mother) and I was the first in my family to attend. We didn't consider all these details. For us, it was just a matter of me packing some things, going to the airport, and flying on my own across the country. It never occured to me at the time to take a great deal of stuff. I didn't have a car, but I was in downtown New Orleans so there were things available close to campus.

It's interesting for me to hear about the whole college application, visitation, selection process, followed by the actual process of sending a student off to his freshman year. My experience was so different, it's good to hear what's "normal" so I can be prepared with my own guys, should they choose to attend college.:)

We actually ended up sending our daughter off to college with a fair amount of what was on the list. She definitely headed to college with a LOT more stuff than I did.

HOWEVER, she was going to school in a small rural town that has absolutely NO shopping aside from expensive boutiques in the downtown area, and she did not have a car or access to one. She was VERY appreciative of the fact that she did not need to pay bookstore prices for Tylenol!

Exactly.

My daughter is going to college in a small-ish city (population about 25,000). There is little public transportation and not much of anywhere to go, anyway. The closest larger city is about 45 minutes away.

When I first moved her in last year, we realized we'd forgotten something (I don't remember what). I went to the small and half-empty mall looking for a housewares store, couldn't find one, asked at a couple of places where the closest one would be and got blank looks, followed by, "Wal-Mart?"

The bookstore at her college is tiny compared to what I remember and maintains pretty limited hours. So, we've learned not to count on it for anything important.

I end up sending her a care package about once a month.

even so, it was a huge hassle and took half a day. I didn't have the time or inclination at the beginning of the year, especially my first year, so I was really grateful that my mother sent me with things like asprin and packets of cocoa and instant soup and an extra toothbrush and all my school supplies and mounting tape to hang posters and stuff like that. I also was grateful to my parents for making my bed and stowing all my stuff. I was busy meeting people and filling out last minute paperwork and stuff like that. Even later, when I was older, it was very handy to have my family to carry stuff and settle me in. They wound up doing it for my husband, too, since he was just sort of dropped at the doorstep. In the case of my son, even though he is older I'm trying to make sure that everything is all set for him for those first confusing day. If we can do it ahead, like order his books and make sure there are batteries in his calculator and that he has laundry detergent, we're doing it. Orientation is confusing enough without having to go shopping.

-Nan

My son is actually moving to the big city! There is a local Best Buy so he is a happy guy. He didn't pack much because he thinks he'll be coming home every couple of weekends. Univ. Oklahoma is only 3 hours from home so it is do-able. His roomie, on the other hand, is in the marching band so only has 1 weekend off! He brought all his summer stuff and winter stuff and looks like he's been living in the room for several months now :-).

Only drawback about the size of the city is the fact that there is a lot more traffic. After driving for 30 years, I had my first accident in at OU in Norman. A lady rear-ended me at a stop light. Thankfully the big ol' SUV had a good hitch - her little Honda didn't fare as well. I hope he does his errands during the off hours.

Cynthia, it seems like just a few years ago we were posting about our elemementary-aged boys, and now here we are sending them off to college.

Boy, the time flies, doesn't it? I've often thought that kids change so much in toddlerhood and through the elementary years, but when I look at the teen years - particularly around age 15 - I think I just grabbed hold of anything I could and held on for the ride! My son went from a nerdy, bossy, first born to a mature, responsible young man in a few short years. What a ride it has been:001_smile:

But now I'm looking at the next 3 and realizing that it's going to be a lot faster! I had 3 years between the first 2, but only 3 years between the 2nd and the last. OK, I've *got* to get more organized!

We just got home from taking our son to college. Working at a camp all summer long certainly put things into perspective. When his RA was apologizing for the older resident hall ds was thrilled with the size of the room and the fact that it had AC. Ds said several times before we left that he is just "really happy." He was ready for us to go and it was easy to leave him because he feels he is in the right place and so do we.

We did pick up a few things at the closest grocery store and discovered that they have valet parking there. :001_huh: I don't know if he can afford life there outside the college. :lol:

We drove 10 1/2 hours today and I am typing this post from the hotel in Hillsdale! We move dd into the dorms tomorrow.

I am also in awe that she has made it this far in our homeschooling adventure. We have hsed her since K.

Honestly, I can't decide if I will cry or just be very, very happy as this is what she has been working towards for the last 6 years (when we first read about Hillsdale on these very boards, checked it out and decided that it was our first "college of choice"), LOL! Now we are just hoping she can keep up with the requirements here.

My heart and thoughts are with the rest of you gals that are also dropping off your babies at the colleges. Good luck to them!

We drove 10 1/2 hours today and I am typing this post from the hotel in Hillsdale! We move dd into the dorms tomorrow.

How exciting for your dd...Hillsdale certainly is an excellent school! It is interesting to see the variety of colleges represented on this board by our kids. I hope you have a terrific moving-in day:D

Jenny -- I think your daughter is in a small town (Staunton, right?) about 20 miles away from my kids' small town (Lexington) -- in western Virginia. Things get pretty remote out there, don't they?

Yep, Staunton it is.

You know, it's kind of nice knowing that she's not in the big, dangerous city all by her lonesome, but there is a certain frustration in not being able to buy certain things (like books) or get to a movie or whatever.

We did sign her up for a membership at the local YMCA so she has access to the pool and other facilities. And I got her a card at the local library. Hopefully, that will ease some of the irritaiton for her this year.

Wow! What a list! I bet, though, that even though it was a short list to bring, the prep work was much greater and it was harder to let go. I felt like we brought lots, but as you said, compared with some people... How long was she without her cello? Was she worried about losing ground?

Ok - we're back. It went ok. What a weird mix of relief and excitement and grief and missing. I just want to tuck him in tonight, even though I haven't done that since he was about 9. I can't wait to climb into bed and escape into my book. Phew! Thinking about everyone else tonight and hope all you other mums go to sleep and stay asleep ok.

Aw, I'm sorry. Saturday night was rough for me because ds called and indicated he was a bit lonely. Classes start today so he really only met his dorm mate who left town for the weekend! Turns out he didn't eat anything Sat except a pop-tart in his dorm room.

The good thing is that while he was feeling emotional, he was very matter of fact about knowing that this is temporary and he would meet others once classes start. This past year he took concurrent courses (full time) with several friends (and one special young lady). They would go out for brunch every day after classes and before work. I think he misses that socializing.

But it was hard for the mama in me to hear that he hadn't eaten (he's rather skinny as it is) :-(

Sunday was better because he went to church and enjoyed it. He's a level headed kid, but I know he wasn't telling me everything about how he feels because he knows I would worry. It was weird, though, going to church yesterday with just the other 3 boys. I kept getting that feeling like I had forgotten my purse :D

I hope it gets better for you soon! Is he very far from home?

My son is now dropped off too. Thankfully dd is still at home for another week. My eyes watered a teeny bit, but I didn't actually cry. The woman in front of me during the President's talk after we had said goodbye to our kids was crying BUCKETS. I sat there sympathizing with her!

So now ds1 is somewhere up on the Appalachian Trail hiking.....he's never backpacked before! (At least he has done a lot of hiking!)

I woke up this morning envying all the folks in my church who do NOT let their kids go to college....and then having to remind myself very sternly of all the reasons why we decided he SHOULD go to college! :mellow:

• 2 years later...

It was a good thing too. Dd didn't use half of the stuff we sent with her, especially all the stationary and school supplies. We did send a refrig with her and I didn't see that on the list. Her dorm room was small so there was no room for microwave. This year she has gone off with a more reasonable list. We did do the first aid kit and that helped a lot especially since she ended up with the flu last winter. The bath kit was helpful but we just did the basics such as shampoo, conditioner, brush, flip flops, towels, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, and small plastic basket to carry stuff in. My sis had bought a big bag full of school supplies. She has used very little of it and it had most of what was on the list. She ended up prefering individual spiral notebooks and pocket file book for each course, pens and pencils and the occasional rubber band or paper clip. We bought a mirror and found out you could nail anything on the wall so it had to be put up with the sticky tape that had to be able to be taken off wall at end of year. We tried using several kinds and none of them could hold the mirror so it didn't go back this year. I'd use the list as a guideline but it is definitely overkill even for a child without a car (which my dd was last year). Be prepared to bring back more than you took even if you take a lot of stuff. If you've seen the room or can get a map of it, you'll be better able to tell what stuff will fit. We were able to see the room firsthand and new it wouldn't be able to handle a lot. It was also helpful that her college gave out the name of her room mate. They were able to get together and bring things so there weren't duplicate items. Like Dd brought TV and room mate brought refrig. This year dd brought both because her roommate never replied to her inquiry and she wanted to make sure she'd have everything she needed.