Menu

Washington DC on the 4th!

Samiam

So we've been mulling over quickie vacay ideas...it has to be over the week of the 4th of July, because DH is off work as his company closes for the week, and it's DS15 birthday on the 4th. We'll arrive on the 2nd and leave on the 5th, so not a lot of time, just enough to get a glimpse.

We think we've settled on DC. It's within driving distance, lots of free things to do, and will have fantastic fireworks.

So what do we need to know? We want to do a hotel in the DC area, so we can use the metro for most things. Staying outside the city to save money but deal with traffic is not how

we want to do it.

We are on a budget but hotel is the one area we feel can not be neglected. Any areas to avoid?

Any restaurants that are must-eats?

What about the Mall on the 4th? I see fireworks start about 9p....what time do we really need to get there to have a grassy spot with a blanket?

Anything else a DC first-timer should know??

Thxs!

We used to go down to DC on the 4th when we lived in the area.  It is a fantastic experience.  The Smithsonian puts on a great exhibition kind of thing on the mall, the theme changes yearly.  We usually got a hotel room in the city....the metro is INSANELY CROWDED after the fireworks end.  We usually just sat around, waited for the crowds to thin, and walked back to our hotel.  We got there mid-afternoon to save a spot with our blanket.  We usually tried to stay on the Capitol end of the mall.  Less crazy.  If you do metro out after the fireworks, it's worth walking to a stop away from the mall.  You have a better chance of getting on, though you'll still probably have to stand.  

Enjoy your trip, it's a wonderful place to visit!

Just...be prepared for the crowds on the 4th on the Mall.

It's insane.

People start picnicking in the morning. It's blanket to blanket with barely any room to go between.

Going to the metro from the Mall after the FW are over is a hold-tightly-to-your-kids deal. Really tightly. Think bodies pressed together in massive crowd. Sweaty, grownup bodies that will carry you along.

Not to be negative or anything. I have a lot of fun there on the 4th, but I won't do the metro then anymore.

I also remember a thread on the same topic last year.   Try this one  or this one, although I think there are others.

We went to DC in September/October and it was fabulous (except that we were there during the shutdown).   We stayed at the Homewood Suites in Alexandria, which had free shuttle service to the King Street Metro station.   The Homewood Suites had a full kitchen, living area, and a bedroom (with doors that could be closed off so kids could go to bed while parents watched TV in another room).    They also served a full hot breakfast AND a full hot supper on weeknights.   I'd recommend them again in a heartbeat.

There was another big hotel (Hilton or Mariott?) in Alexandria that was literally right across the street from the metro that would be a good choice.   

I'm pretty sure I also remember seeing specials for the Metro for July 4th, so check that out online.

There will be activities and stuff all day on the mall.  If you like live music and stuff then you should enjoy it.  I've only been downtown 2x for the fireworks.  We park away and walk the rest of the way in.  Metro is crazy  that evening when everything is done.   

Anyway, I don't think we got there before 8pm the last time we went and we didn't have trouble finding a little spot to sit down and watch the fireworks.  There will be security you have to get through.  Bathrooms (port-a-potties)  are gross and disgusting by the end of the day, but not much you can do about it.   Lines are long for them too.    It's not unusual to get a thunderstorm most evenings that time of year, so come prepared to get wet too.

I'm not sure any of the museums are open since it's a fed. holiday.  You should check.  But, you can definitely go to the Tidal basin, and the Reflecting pool.  Probably to any of the outdoor type memorials (Lincoln, Vietnam War).    You could walk along with C&O canal.  Or go up to Great Falls (both sides are nice). 

Spy Museum is fun (costs money).  It's downtown ... and the food around there is pretty good. 

If you have your car and want to go about an hour from Washington, then 4th of July weekend is a BIG weekend for Gettysburg.  Maybe check out the activities up there.

It will be beastly hot and sticky that weekend.  It's almost always miserably hot then, although my personal prediction is for a slightly cooler than normal summer.

Okay, that's what I can think of for now.

When we lived on Capitol Hill, we would walk down to the fireworks around 6 or 7 pm. We'd set up chairs outside the Botanical Garden and watch the fireworks. We had a great view and didn't have to spend all day down on the Mall.

I second the recommendation of HOmewood Suite in Alexandria. We've had friends stay there.

Yeah, it's crowded, but it's doable crowded.  We rarely go down, but we've braved it in the past.  If we walk a few blocks away, we have a good view of the Mall fireworks and it lets us see the neighborhood craziness (you haven't seen backyard fireworks until you've seen DC backyard fireworks...  just sayin).  Just give yourselves plenty of time and be patient with the time frame.  It is wall to wall people returning on the Metro, but I've had some bad Metro experiences with crowds and there's not a fourth of July that's in the top 5.  They plan for it.  They have crowd control going.  It'll be okay.

One thing I'll say is that "outside the city" doesn't mean outside the Metro system.  You can stay in Arlington on the Orange line or in Crystal City on the Blue and Yellow and be pretty close in and right near a Metro stop.  I can't really give hotel advice, but I wouldn't limit yourselves to DC proper if you're on a budget.

So we've been mulling over quickie vacay ideas...it has to be over the week of the 4th of July, because DH is off work as his company closes for the week, and it's DS15 birthday on the 4th. We'll arrive on the 2nd and leave on the 5th, so not a lot of time, just enough to get a glimpse.

We think we've settled on DC. It's within driving distance, lots of free things to do, and will have fantastic fireworks.

So what do we need to know? We want to do a hotel in the DC area, so we can use the metro for most things. Staying outside the city to save money but deal with traffic is not how

we want to do it.

We are on a budget but hotel is the one area we feel can not be neglected. Any areas to avoid?

Any restaurants that are must-eats?

What about the Mall on the 4th? I see fireworks start about 9p....what time do we really need to get there to have a grassy spot with a blanket?

Anything else a DC first-timer should know??

Thxs!

Our experience as first time DCers on 4th of July about six years ago:

We stayed in the Crystal City Marriott across the river from DC.  Because it was a weekend, there were deep hotel discounts (in general, hotels are much cheaper in DC on weekends).  We decided to skip the Mall for fireworks, because we were unfamiliar with the Metro and the Mall, and it was rainy.  We totally lucked out and had an amazing view from our hotel room!

I would look at tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews.

We took the Metro to the Mall the next day and met up with friends.  It was crowded, just like the other weekends we've been there since.  It was a BLAST to be there for July 4th weekend!!!!

Sorry that I have no more specific advice, but I bet you will have a fantastic time!