Menu

Meatless/Vegetarian Dried Bean Recipes

I remember a few months back there was another post on this, and I did do the search for it. Most of the recipes there had some sort of ham/bacon/lard in them. I have no problem with a bit of bacon in my beans (yum), but my husband will not eat ham or bacon because of the sulfates and nitrates :confused:. However, he will consume HUGE quantities of cheese, so don't think he's some sort of nutritional saint. He ain't.

But... if you have a favorite MEATLESS and LARDLESS :D bean recipe out there that you'd care to share with us, I have about 20 pounds of dried pinto beans just waiting to be flavored and savored! We are on a quest towards, um, less-meat-an-ism these days. We'll see how far we get. Thanks!

My pork-free-friend just uses lots of garlic and a bit of salt to replace the bacon or ham. She flavors them with onions, dried herbs and fresh chicken or beef stock. Her beans are always pretty good. ;)

I guess you could replace the stock with vegetable stock or water.

You make it in the crock pot. DEE LISH!!

3 c pintos

8-9 c water

1 onion, peeled and halved

2 T minced garlic

1/8 t cumin

5 t salt

1 3/4 t fresh ground pepper

1/2 fresh jalapeno, seeded and chopped (I never have done this because I don't keep fresh ones on hand but I may try using chopped ones from a jar when I make it again, which might be today since I have this recipe out!!)

Dump everything in the crock pot and cook on high 8 hours.

If you want them as a side of refrieds, just smash, or reheat and smash if they've been in the fridge.

You can eat them as-is and they taste great.

If I want to kick them up a notch, I cook them down more and dump in a can of ro-tel and some fresh cilantro and make a charro-type bean (I prefer the mild rotel because if you don't use enough beans, the regular will make it pretty hot - and we're used to hot and I find it too hot). I love them like this with a side of mexican rice - YUM!!

I wind up making these almost every week and we just use some daily as needed. It doesn't make a TON, but I have some bean haters so only a few of us eat them.

ENJOY!!

Confetti Bean Soup

1 lb. package of dried 9 bean mixture (or something

with a combination of beans, black beans, northerns,

red kidney, pinto, split peas)

Seasoning:

3 bouillon cubes, use vegetarian

3 tbs. dried chopped chives

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. dried savory

1/2 tsp. cumin

1/4 tsp. black pepper

1 bay leaf

Directions:

Rinse beans, cover with water and soak overnight. Drain and rinse. Cover with 5 cups of water and add seasonings. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add 16 oz can of tomatoes with liquid. Simmer 15 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf.

Another thought. Could you use a bit of liquid smoke to get that "ham" flavor?

You make it in the crock pot. DEE LISH!!

3 c pintos

8-9 c water

1 onion, peeled and halved

2 T minced garlic

1/8 t cumin

5 t salt

1 3/4 t fresh ground pepper

1/2 fresh jalapeno, seeded and chopped (I never have done this because I don't keep fresh ones on hand but I may try using chopped ones from a jar when I make it again, which might be today since I have this recipe out!!)

Dump everything in the crock pot and cook on high 8 hours.

If you want them as a side of refrieds, just smash, or reheat and smash if they've been in the fridge.

You can eat them as-is and they taste great.

If I want to kick them up a notch, I cook them down more and dump in a can of ro-tel and some fresh cilantro and make a charro-type bean (I prefer the mild rotel because if you don't use enough beans, the regular will make it pretty hot - and we're used to hot and I find it too hot). I love them like this with a side of mexican rice - YUM!!

I wind up making these almost every week and we just use some daily as needed. It doesn't make a TON, but I have some bean haters so only a few of us eat them.

ENJOY!!

:iagree:

I make this very often & we all love it. I usually double the recipe - it just fits in my 7 quart slow cooker - and freeze some for later use.

Would this crockpot recipe use canned beans (ie already cooked) or soaked dried beans (not yet cooked)? I really want to cook beans in the crockpot, but wonder how canned beans turn out after 8 hours cooking. I have heard that toxins in beans are not cooked out in the slow cooker.

Thanks,

Pam

Would this crockpot recipe use canned beans (ie already cooked) or soaked dried beans (not yet cooked)? I really want to cook beans in the crockpot, but wonder how canned beans turn out after 8 hours cooking. I have heard that toxins in beans are not cooked out in the slow cooker.

Thanks,

Pam

I've always wondered this too. I did some googling and it looks like the concerns are mainly with soy beans and red kidney beans. Most of the links said "beans should be boiled" for at least 10 minutes, but then went on to discuss soy and red kidney specifically almost every time.

http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/beantoxins.htm

This site has recipes foregoing any kind of oils/fats, but you could easily fry in oil when this seems appropriate rather than follow the strict fatfree recipe Sorry, but I don't know how to do proper links, so you will have to cut and paste.

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/beans/beans.shtml

I have used this site extensively, and have found some real stayers.

Pam.

Thanks,

Pam

Dried beans. Just rinse them and put them in & they turn out fine. No soaking or boiling necessary.