Menu

6th grade math in PS

Up until the adoption of Common Core, pre-algebra in 7th and algebra 1 in 8th was the standard college prep sequence in my district. Algebra 1 in 7th and geometry in 8th was the accelerated sequence. 75% of students in my district currently take algebra 1 prior to 9th and 20% take geometry prior to 9th. 6th grade math is the same for everyone who is not in remedial classes.

Now with Common Core, I've heard references in passing to the algebra 1 material being split between 8th and 9th. I haven't been able to get a straight answer out of them as whether a full algebra 1 course would continue to be offered in middle school. I keep getting told that "it's under discussion".

7th grade is pre-algebra. Public school kids that take pre-algebra in 6th grade will be in pre-algebra class and not in 6th grade math class. Each public school in my school district has their way of streaming the kids. So some kids may be skipping prealgebra and going to algebra in 7th grade.

My dd12 was slated for the advanced math class in 6th, and they stated the goal to be all of 6th grade math and 1/2 of 7th grade. We pulled her and shored up all the holes that she had from public school and are just now 2/3 of the way through MM6. She may not have covered all of the topics that she would have in ps, but she is strong in the ones that she has.

7th grade is pre-algebra. Public school kids that take pre-algebra in 6th grade will be in pre-algebra class and not in 6th grade math class. Each public school in my school district has their way of streaming the kids. So some kids may be skipping prealgebra and going to algebra in 7th grade.

Are they still allowing this? I have heard some rumblings in our district that it's now math 6, math 7 and only in 8th grade they begin to track kids. Just wondering.

In my current district they separate the students into 2 groups accelerated and "not" accelerated. The accelerated students do Algebra 1 in 8th grade.  The thing is if you're in the accelerated math you also have to do the accelerated Lang Arts... If you can't do the higher Lang Arts then you have to take the lower math. This goes the opposite way too.  Makes a lot of sense right? 

We considered having DS go to school for 8th grade so that he might get some help with his LDs until we found this out.  They would want to put him in regular 8th grade math even though he would have already done Alg. 1.  DD who is considering PS has some math gaps but excels at Lang Arts.  We are trying to shore up her Math skills so she doesn't get put in the lower level lang. arts where she will be bored to tears. Another reason why I hate the current P.S. model.

Are they still allowing this? I have heard some rumblings in our district that it's now math 6, math 7 and only in 8th grade they begin to track kids. Just wondering.

Yes. I have neighbors in 7th and 8th grade in my neighborhood public school. Some neighbors doing algebra 1 in 7th grade. There is parental pressure for that and money talks.

ETA:

Just an interesting "gossip". A private school in San Jose claims their 4th graders are taking either prealgebra or algebra in their advertisements.

Yes. I have neighbors in 7th and 8th grade in my neighborhood public school. Some neighbors doing algebra 1 in 7th grade. There is parental pressure for that and money talks.

ETA:

Just an interesting "gossip". A private school in San Jose claims their 4th graders are taking either prealgebra or algebra in their advertisements.

It's so much more relaxed here! :)

Is it Harker? I haven't seen any ads but I've heard through the grapevine that Harker pushes acceleration in math and that kids take algebra 1 by 6th.

I think it depends on how the individual state or district is interpreting and implementing Common Core. There is a lot of variation between different districts and different states, and I think we'll continue to see adjustments to the sequence

This past year my district tried to end acceleration, since Common Core decrees no tracking before 8th. All 6th graders went into Common Core Math 6, but 7th graders who had already taken pre-Algebra were allowed to take Integrated Math 1 (our state's replacement for Algebra I). It was meant to be a sort of transition year to get everyone onto the same math track going forward. The new sequence was meant to be CC Math 6, CC Math 7, and then either CC Math 8 or Integrated Math 1 in 8th grade. There were so many complaints from parents that their 6th graders learned nothing this year that our district is bringing back tracking in the fall. Now rising 6th graders have 3 tracks: CC Math 6, CC Math 6 Plus (prepping them for Integrated Math 1 in 8th), and CC Math 7 Plus (prepping them for IM 1 in 7th grade).

It feels like a constantly shifting standard here as everyone tries to figure out how to implement the standards and find what works.

Is it Harker? I haven't seen any ads but I've heard through the grapevine that Harker pushes acceleration in math and that kids take algebra 1 by 6th.

No, it is Champion school in San Jose. I think that school's paper and poster advertisement may be in reaction to the opening of Basis Silicon Valley this fall. Basis is offering algebra in 5th.

ETA:

It is stated in their online FAQ.  Quoted is from the FAQ.

"100% of Champion’s continuing 4th graders are learning either Pre-Algebra or Algebra-1 as a

natural part of their academic progress."

My Dd goes to a 6th- 12th classical charter school.   One thing they've found is that most of their students come into the school significantly behind in math.   They use sixth grade to catch them up for their rigorous program.   In sixth, they focus on mastery of math plus proficiency with decimals, fractions, ratios, proportions, and percentage.  

In our district 6th grade math is either standard or advanced with a very few in pre-Algebra. Those in the standard track don't end up with Algebra before high school. Those in the advanced track usually all take pre-Algebra in 7th and Algebra in 8th, but there are some who get to Geometry in 8th. My ps 6th grader is on the advanced track and is taking a placement test today to determine if she is pre-Algebra or Algebra I next year for 7th, so implementation of CC really hasn't changed acceleration here at all.

For most kids prealgebra is just a repeat of previous skills.  It is a method used by middle school and public school in general to make sure all kids are ready for algebra studies.  In order to do that without testing, they provide an entire extra year of demanded practice.  It isn't necessary.  It is merely a guarantee necessary when you have a huge room full of kids and you cannot tell what level they are all at.  If you homeschool, you can tell.

I am not saying that PreA is not a class kids should take, but merely that it is not a necessary.  My son is taking PreA this year because I knew he was not completely stone cold ready for Algebra.  He is also 9 and it would not have been a worthwhile consideration to speed him up any faster than he is currently flying through material.  A fourth or fifth grader can take PreA really easily.  It isn't crazy - fractions, decimals, ratios, percents, basic linear equations, a little beginning geometry.  That is the natural progression after a kid has the four operations down.  However, I have taught ninth graders who were still cycling through PreA because they weren't ready.  It has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with skill set.

Here it varies a bit between districts.  It seems that most schools offer a "standard" of 6th, 7th, 8th is prealgebra, and 9th is algebra.  The accelerated sequence skips 7th grade math for prealgebra in 7th, algebra in 8th. 

They are still working on implementing Common Core changes in most of the districts with which I'm familiar, so it remains to be seen whether this holds beyond the next couple years.  Meanwhile, my rising 6th grader is ready for prealgebra this fall, and that's factoring heavily into my decision as to whether we continue homeschooling.

Our middle school has three tracks:

'regular' = math 6th, math 7th and pre-Alg 8th

'accelerated' = math 6th, pre-Alg 7th and Alg I 8th

'advanced' = pre-Alg 6th, Alg I 7th, Geo 8th

The issue with not going through the advanced track in our district is that students aren't prepared for the honors science track at the high school if they don't take advanced alg with trig their freshman year. The HS honors science progression is honors bio for 9th, honors chem for 10th, AP physics for 11th, and a choice of AP bio or AP chem for 12th. Students need advanced algebra skills to get through math portions of the honors chem their sophmore year, but some of them are taking the advanced alg w/ trig the same year they are taking honors chem (my daughter included). Many kids in her class aren't doing well and I suspect it is because of the math component. She is going to step out of the honors track and take regular physics next year - she easily understands the science but needs more solid math skills. In the meantime, this year has been a beast. She is interested in a STEM career, so doing well is very important to her.

6th take 6th grade math. It looks like pre-algebra to me, but is not called that.

7th take either 7th grade math or Algebra I

8th take Pre-Algebra, Algebra I or Advanced Algebra

7th graders who get less than a B in Algebra I must repeat the course. In order to get into 7th grade algebra, kids have to pass an algebra readiness exam that measures abstract thinking, as well as do well in 6th grade math. If they get an A in 6th grade math and ace the state math test, there is still a possibility of no algebra recommendation for 7th.

Some students, a tiny proportion, are very advanced and go the the middle school for math while in elementary and go to the high school while in middle school. There are also classes with extra support for those echo need it.

Math is the most differentiated of all the core subjects. School is especially picky about algebra, and there is a state test in algebra, in addition to, not instead of, annual test for math.

So is regular 6th grade math just more fractions, decimals, grafts, angles with bigger numbers? With a little variables thrown in?

Of course it varies widely with publishers/authors but yes, in general 6th grade math is the 4th and 5th grade math topics with 1) larger numbers 2) more fractions/decimals 3) multi-step word problems and 4) more coverage of "gravy" topics such as stats, probability, graphing and number theory.

Oddly enough, if the book is well written then it is almost indistinguishable from 7th grade, 8th grade and PreAlgebra mathematics.

Of course it varies widely with publishers/authors but yes, in general 6th grade math is the 4th and 5th grade math topics with 1) larger numbers 2) more fractions/decimals 3) multi-step word problems and 4) more coverage of "gravy" topics such as stats, probability, graphing and number theory.

Oddly enough, if the book is well written then it is almost indistinguishable from 7th grade, 8th grade and PreAlgebra mathematics.

:iagree:    Each year reviews a great deal from the previous years at this stage.

So is regular 6th grade math just more fractions, decimals, grafts, angles with bigger numbers? With a little variables thrown in?

I look through DS next year. this is what covers

Unit 1 - GCF, LCM, Distributive Property

Unit 2 - Ratios, Rates, Percent

Unit 3 - Division, Decimals, Fractions

Unit 4 - Rational Number

Unit 5 - Expressions and Equations

Unit 6 - Geometry

Unit 7 - Statistics

Generally, any math above pre algebra can be put on a high school transcript.

That really depends. At the current time in my district, while students taking (or re-taking) Algebra 1 in 9th will get high school credit for it, it is normally considered a middle school course and therefore not eligible for high school credit. Most students' high school transcripts will start with either geometry (standard college prep sequence) or algebra 2 (accelerated sequence).

Now with Common Core, I've heard references in passing to the algebra 1 material being split between 8th and 9th. I haven't been able to get a straight answer out of them as whether a full algebra 1 course would continue to be offered in middle school. I keep getting told that "it's under discussion".

San Jose Unified is offering for Common Core pathway Algebra in 7th and Geometry in 8th.

No, it is Champion school in San Jose. I think that school's paper and poster advertisement may be in reaction to the opening of Basis Silicon Valley this fall. Basis is offering algebra in 5th.

ETA:

It is stated in their online FAQ.  Quoted is from the FAQ.

"100% of Champion’s continuing 4th graders are learning either Pre-Algebra or Algebra-1 as a

natural part of their academic progress."

So... if a student takes algebra 1 in 4th grade, that puts the student on track for taking calculus in 8th grade.

That makes me curious to see what four-year math sequence the high school offers. 

San Jose Unified is offering for Common Core pathway Algebra in 7th and Geometry in 8th.

It's definitely an option under CC, but I haven't been able to get a straight answer from our district as to whether or not they will make it an option in their middle schools. Just because they can does not mean that they will.

We'll be affiliated with a charter school next year.  They have a homeschool program.  Based on the info I was given, most students start pre-algebra in the 7th grade.  All the students are given a placement test and that's how they decide if a 7th grader is ready for Algebra 1.