Menu

San Diego People? I hope you are staying safe!

MyLittleWonders

I know there are many other San Diego people on the boards besides me.  It's been eerie and scary, especially after having the fires hit close to home during the '03 and '07 fire storms. This afternoon is really bad for the folk in the San Marcos/Escondido area.  Houses area being lost. 

My son is close, stationed at Camp Pendleton. living in Oceanside. He says it is close, but no evacuation yet.

My brother is just south of Pendleton....they had a fire get too close a couple years ago. I can't find any maps showing the fire on-line (I do find links but they refuse to load!) so I can't tell how close he is to this fire.

We are in Carlsbad so, yesterday was a nail biter. It was close enough that we were ready to leave at any moment. Our cats did not enjoy spending the day in a carrier!

The San Marcos and Camp Pendalton fires are raging. It is so bizarre to watch your city burn around you. We've evacuated several times in years past, but we've be safe this time.

The fires have been getting closer to my niece's house all day. They have bags packed and are waiting to hear if they will be evacuated.

ETA: Just heard from my niece that the fires got within a few miles of her house but it has been contained!

I live in San Marcos but am fortunate to be on the non-burning side of the 78. Many of my friends are evacuated, although they are slowly being allowed back in. From what I can tell, the fire was dying down and winds whipped it back up into a fire tornado so it's still growing , away from San Marcos into Escondido. It was arson and they're looking for the person(s) responsible.

Right now my children are there with my MIL. I'm with my dh on a business trip trying not to panic from far away. It's a very strange thing to watch your town on cnn international and see your house.

Right now my children are there with my MIL. I'm with my dh on a business trip trying not to panic from far away. It's a very strange thing to watch your town on cnn international and see your house.

Oh Felicity -- that would be sooo very hard.  

I have friends evacuating from the Del Dios highway area, but am hoping the winds are going to quiet down with sunset.

Margaret -- I've been thinking of your Navy girl.  There are military helicopters doing water drops.

I live in San Marcos but am fortunate to be on the non-burning side of the 78. Many of my friends are evacuated, although they are slowly being allowed back in. From what I can tell, the fire was dying down and winds whipped it back up into a fire tornado so it's still growing , away from San Marcos into Escondido. It was arson and they're looking for the person(s) responsible.

Oh I couldn't imagine. 

Prayers for safety for all of you in the area as well as the men and women on the front lines trying to fight the fires. 

The winds should be dying down in the next few hours it the fire is actually creating its own weather now. It's just huge. And while I'm beyond grateful it's turning away from my family, I know exactly where it's going now.

It was all I could do not to jump on the first plane home ala Home Alone when I first read about it.

The heat is abating slowly now, it' only supposed to be in the 80s on Friday, not 102 and there is rain the forecast next week. I just hope we all make it to next week without more starting. Whoever did start these...well, I'm usually a peaceful person, but maybe the rack?

We are here :( It's pretty awful. So many friends are being evacuated. The first fire started in our neighborhood about a mile from our house. Thankfully for us, it blew away from our area. But it's literally everywhere, like a war zone. We are set to move into a new house we are in the process of buying in three weeks, and it just started in that neighborhood today, with homes burning to the ground.

And they are suspecting arson, which is even more horrifying. My kids have been terrified since this started two days ago.

We are here :( It's pretty awful. So many friends are being evacuated. The first fire started in our neighborhood about a mile from our house. Thankfully for us, it blew away from our area. But it's literally everywhere, like a war zone. We are set to move into a new house we are in the process of buying in three weeks, and it just started in that neighborhood today, with homes burning to the ground.

And they are suspecting arson, which is even more horrifying. My kids have been terrified since this started two days ago.

Oh no! :( 

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

We are so close, yet so far away.  Here in Mira Mesa, other than seeing the smoke behind Black Mountain from your fire, it's like any other day around here.  We can't even really smell the smoke or anything - my kids wouldn't even know there were fires (we have no t.v., so no local news) except that I told them we had to be prepared and pointed out the smoke.