Menu

New to Craigslist...is this common?

I don't allow pick ups at my house.  I tell them I can meet up with them at McDonald's or another restaurant where there are people around.  That being said, it takes me 10 min to get to the McDonalds but I usually tag another errand or 3 to do at the same time I'm out.  I will not deliver anything to a strangers house, period.  If they want it they can work within my comfort zone.

some people have no qualms in thinking other people were put here to cater to them. almost as though they are doing you a favor to purchase your item. (that they want in new condition, for pennies on the dollar.) 

I've generally had good luck with craigslist, but some people :svengo:   I'd have texted there would be a $50 delivery fee (or more.  more expensive items would also be more) plus generous mileage.  then I'd move on to the next interested party.

I recently had one buyer that wanted to meet me on the other side of a toll road.  she wouldn't have to pay the toll, but I would, twice.  and I'd be going significantly further.  I thought about charging the $50 delivery fee, but honestly, it wasn't worth my time.  I simply responded if she was interested, she could come to me.  (the item was eventually sold to someone who was ecstatic to get it.)

Psssh I'd say sorry.

We put two sofas up for free today. I couldn't believe how many people wanted me to hold them.

Nope. First come first serve. They were gone within 2hrs of listing. I had to email 20 people that were supposedly coming that they were gone.

Psssh I'd say sorry.

We put two sofas up for free today. I couldn't believe how many people wanted me to hold them.

Nope. First come first serve. They were gone within 2hrs of listing. I had to email 20 people that were supposedly coming that they were gone.

I was selling my mom's car.  in responses (I had more than two dozen to choose from) to interested parties, I explicitly stipulated do NOT call before ___ time. (they had to call to get an address)  I don't care if it's one minute before - you're off the list.  (I didn't answer.)

then the first guy to actually arrive to test drive wanted me to hold it for FOUR hours until his son got out of school.  nope, I'm moving on the to next person on the list.  I did take pity on him and held it for 30 minutes while he went to the bank and got cash to pay for it.  He paid me, I gave him the keys, and he left it parked in front of my house until his son got out of school. (it was easier for me too.  and it was full price. I should have asked more - the body was soooo not pretty.)

I have had a few beg me to deliver, even FAR distances......sob stories about how they really needed it and their car was in the shop or whatever.

Um, no.  I am not spending $10 in gas and two hours of my time to deliver a coffee table.  One person I said no to was downright rude in response.  

I can't imagine paying a $50 delivery fee

After agreeing to do a freecycle swap (I had the item) the person told me they didn't have a car! Next day I saw them asking for more free things on the network... once again failing to tell anyone that they had no transportation to pick up said items. I feel like they were scared to tell anyone for obvious reasons.

the point of the $50 delivery fee is to discourage those who think sellers are their delivery service. uh, no.

as for your flake with "no car", did she eventually come get the item?  or ask you to deliver it?  it could also be she decided she really didn't like your item and was too much of a wuss to say she changed her mind.   I had one potential buyer (back in the day before the list was even a gleam in craig's eye) who would hang up in the middle of her sentence to make it seem like the phone was disconnected.  (she responded to the listing two different times - not realizing it was the same item.  imagine, she didn't like harvest gold for a working washer and dryer.)

"crazy" is common on Craigslist.  We rarely use it anymore.  Once my husband sold someone a computer system for $25.  The person expected my husband to set it up and take calls daily about how to use it (for 2 weeks after). 

Not that we are jerky and don't want to help people, but come on.  You don't get 2 weeks of daily text support, set up, AND a computer for $25.  Time is money. 

that's why 1ds refuses to work tech support.  they're not allowed to say "put the computer back in the box and take it back to the store.  you're too stupid to use one."  (he was level 3.  meaning problems got handed off to him.  coworkers were known to mute the call so they could laugh. . . . just couldn't keep it in until the call was over . . . )

one of my recent sales was a 'orthopedic boot/lower leg cast' (dh refused to wear it for more than a few hours for a few days.) that they guy even sent me an e-mail the next day to tell me how wonderful it was.

lol that's strange about the hang ups. We did our communication via facebook or phone texts.

it was back in the dark ages before craigslist put newspaper classifieds out of business.  no internet.  no cell phones - let alone texting.