Menu

Fish oil?

Bensmom

So annoying!  That used to happen to dh and me when we bought a brand sold at Walmart (can't remember which one).  We switched to Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil softgels and it doesn't happen anymore. A friend of ours, who is also our chiropractor, recommended that brand.

I read that you are supposed take fish oil a half hour before your meals.

When I take Nordic Naturals lemon fish oil softgels, I do get lemon-flavoured burps, but they are not unpleasant to me.

When I take Nordic Naturals lemon liquid fish oil, I don't get burps at all. But the liquid doesn't taste like lemon, only smells like it. It tastes like nothing I know.

Occasionally, instead of fish oil, I take Barlean's flax seed oil. That has a sweet, smoothie-like taste and doesn't cause burps. I am only concerned that it contains xylitol and other additives.

On a related note, I noticed some manufacturers advertise enteric-coated softgels, which are supposed to survive your stomach acid and go intact to the intestines. So which is better, fish oil that is absorbed in the stomach (which is probably why we get those burps) or fish oil that is absorbed in the intestines?

We keep ours in the fridge and none of the four of us have ever had any fishy burps. I did tons of research and finally ended up with the enteric coated Spring Valley that you can get at Walmart. Wish I knew where I read it, but they were one of the "approved" brands that are supposed to be "clean" and have the amount of stuff they claim to have. Before that, we took the Kirkland Signature enteric coated ones, and then the Vitacost brand uncoated. Always kept in fridge, no fish burps with any brand we tried.

We take Nordic Naturals ProEFA and haven't had any problems with fish burps.  DS1, DD1, and I take the adult size.  DD2 and DS2 take the junior size and they just chew them up and swallow them, no complaints and DS2 always asks for his "yellow fish".