Menu

First email address for kids

blondeviolin

Either a family account or an account that you have access to.  Our email (through our internet provider) allows for up to 5 email names, and we also have it set so that I can see a short snippet of all incoming emails along with th sender. Never had a problem, but I can also catch span and creeps before they ever see it.

gmail will automatically forward mail from one account to another. We can set it to have dd's e-mails forward us a copy of anything she receives.\

We also have all passwords which are not allowed to be changed by dd.

1. Pick gmail or another option unrelated to your internet provider. Providers change.

2. Pick a username that is not childish so they can grow with it.

3. For now have the emails forwarded to your email account or create a family account to forward all kids emails too if you want to keep yours private.

4. Have a clear, but not overly restrictive, set of rules in place from the beginning.

5. Teach them internet etiquette.

I made DD a gmail account. She can email, and uses the account to sign on to YouTube and khan academy. I know her password and can get in and look at her messages, etc. And change settings as needed.

There was no age inquiry when I set it up several years ago.

I made DD a gmail account. She can email, and uses the account to sign on to YouTube and khan academy. I know her password and can get in and look at her messages, etc. And change settings as needed.

There was no age inquiry when I set it up several years ago.

When I signed my boys up a few years ago I don't recall an age inquiry either.

Zoobuh.com is specifically for kids. All mail is filtered. You can choose to create a contact list where your your dd only receives email from those people on the list.

We use Zoobuh.com. It also has some sort of way that it flags messages with potential inappropriate content (for example, predatory and bullying content) and alerts the parent.

Erica in OR