Menu

Dr Hive, quick

This morning I woke up with a reddish face.  It got more irritated when I washed it (I used bar soap because my face wash was out of the shower) and even more after I used my normal lotion.  Now it's very red and splotchy and spreading down my neck.  My chest and arms and hands are breaking out into little red dots, some raised and some not.

I ate shellfish last night, about 12 hours ago (late date for DH's birthday).  I had eggs this morning, but I normally have eggs, and the redness started before that.

Does this sound like an allergic reaction?  What do I do?  Can I take benadryl if I'm nursing?  It's also possible I'm pregnant (ovulated a week ago today).

It sounds like an allergic reaction to me, and I've heard of that with shellfish before.  I read online that Benadryl is generally safe to take while nursing, but could you call your clinic to double-check?  It seems like if the allergy is still progressing you'd want to stop it before it gets worse.

It sounds more like a topical (skin-exposure) allergy than a food-based reaction.

Have you recently changed laundry detergent / laundry practices? How recently have you changed your pillow case? Have you snuggled anything unusual, or rubbed your face on any other kind of clothing or cloth? Started using a new skin product? What about a hair product?

Update - the phone nurse said to get into the ER ASAP.  I started having trouble breathing and needed oxygen, an EKG, benadryl, and steroids.  They said it was most likely a reaction to the shellfish.  They said it was very good that I came it when I did, and to get to a hospital at once if it ever happens again.  Whew....I need a nap now!

Update - the phone nurse said to get into the ER ASAP. I started having trouble breathing and needed oxygen, an EKG, benadryl, and steroids. They said it was most likely a reaction to the shellfish. They said it was very good that I came it when I did, and to get to a hospital at once if it ever happens again. Whew....I need a nap now!

Oh I'm glad you went in and are doing better now, have a good nap!

Update - the phone nurse said to get into the ER ASAP. I started having trouble breathing and needed oxygen, an EKG, benadryl, and steroids. They said it was most likely a reaction to the shellfish. They said it was very good that I came it when I did, and to get to a hospital at once if it ever happens again. Whew....I need a nap now!

Wow, thank goodness for a sensible nurse!