Menu

Age-Appropriate Chapter Books, Advanced 6 Year Old

My son will be 6 this summer so I'm currently planning curriculum for fall, his 1st grade year though it'll be mostly 2nd grade work. His reading however is way ahead of everything else and this year he (yet again) shocked me by jumping several levels ahead in decoding and comprehension. Last time I checked this he was decoding about a 6th grade level and comprehending a 3rd grade level but that was this fall before his mental growth spurt when he started reading more challenging chapter books without my knowledge before bed so I'd say he's currently decoding at 7-8th and comprehending at a 4th grade level. 

So this year he read, independently, Mr. Popper's Penguins, the first 3 Narnia books, Sparks Story Bible (80% of it at least), Charlotte's Web (twice), Frog and Toad, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and many more I can't remember at the moment. I'm running out of appropriate chapter books for him. Harry Potter is definitely the highest I'll let him go in the mature-content area....I've already warned him he's not allowed to read Harry Potter 2 until next year and #3 until 8 and #4 until 10 because the content jumps up quite a bit in the 4th book. He's read half of the Magic Treehouse Series and all the classic Beatrix Potter, A.A. Milne, etc. 

Anyway, so what books in the 3rd-6th grade reading level did your advanced readers enjoy that were appropriate for a 6 year old boy? He's not overly sensitive to things but I want to maintain a certain level of innocence of course. I'm thinking Stuart Little by EB White would be a good one he hasn't read yet and I might read aloud The Hobbit with him but am blanking on others. 

Berenstein Bears Chapters books are good - hard to find, but great.

Bobbsey Twins - not sure if a boy would like those though. My dd loves them

Hank the Cowdog? They are mostly pretty tame, and written by a homeschool dad

Boxcar Children

Just about anything on the SL lists for Core B, C, D or E would be a good bet too. Especially Homer Price.

I've bookmarked these lists:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/AJ9YYU9EDTNHJ

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/47468.Gifted_Young_Readers

Recently, Ds6 has really enjoyed The Tale of Despereaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. He's also currently obsessed with the "Who was" series of biographies and The Boxcar Children. 

Anything by Kate Di Camillo. You can start with her Mercy Watson books but they are only the lower end, akin to Frog and a Toad. My son finds them hilarious though. Her other books take a bit of a leap in reading level. And the ones that we have read are all pretty safe thus far.

My son really enjoys The Little House books. I will only let him read the first few books as the content is more mature.

I see several of my dd''s favorites listed already, some as read-alouds earlier and some independent.

She also enjoyed Trumpet of the Swan, which would be great for a boy that age. Anything Pippi Longstocking, but especially the South Seas book. Dr. Doolittle we did as a read-aloud as I wanted to discuss a few issues with her. The Railway Children she enjoyed as well, Wind in the Willows, and a couple of Roald Dahl like Matilda, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

On our list:

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

The Black Stallion/Black Beauty

The Borrowers

Bridge to Terabithia

Half-Magic

Holes

The Jungle Book

Swiss Family Robinson

My Side of the Mountain (we shall see..)

And just because he is loving the longer books, don't forget some of the more advanced shorter stories...advice to myself as even though my dd is reading advanced books I do not want her to miss out any any great lit for littles:) sometimes I find myself reading the EASIER books as read-alouds for this reason whilst she tackles something she has become interested in. She just read The Reluctant Dragon after reading a passage in our WWE lesson and it was fantastic:)

Oh I forgot!

My son absolutely loved The Secret Garden and A Little Princess. I know that they are typically girly books. But he really enjoyed them.

He also Liked The Five Little Peppers.

We still do a lot of pictures books. We are reading. James Herriot right now. A dictionary might be handy if your son is not familiar with British (Scottish I think?) vernacular.

Here is a section of my library book list.  I'm very particular about content and have skimmed or read all of these books myself.

Jenny Goes to Sea                                       Averill                       

The Indian in the Cupboard                        Banks           

American Fairy Tales                                    Baum                       

Paddington Bear (series)                             Bond    

The Penderwicks                                          Birdsdall 

Twenty and Ten                                            Bishop      

A Lion to Guard Us                                      Bulla     

John Billington                                             Bulla  

The Sword in the Tree                                 Bulla   

White Sails to China                                     Bulla  

The Incredible Journey                                 Burnford 

The Enormous Egg                                       Butterworth 

Hieroglyphs                                                   Callery

The Family Under the Bridge                       Carlson      

The Mouse and the Motorcycle                   Cleary      

The Cat Who Went to Heaven                     Coatsworth   

The Wheel on the School                             De Jong       

The Silver Skates                                           Dodge  

The Twenty-One Balloons                            Du Bois   

Half Magic                                                       Eager     

Magic by the Lake                                          Eager        

The Saturdays                                                Enright            

The Four-Story Mistake                                Enright     

Thimble Summer                                            Enright     

The Black Stallion                                           Farley     

Calico Bush                                                     Field, R        

My Father’s Dragon                                        Gannett            

Three Tales of my Father’s Dragon              Gannett          

My Side of the Mountain                                George    

The Reluctant Dragon                                    Grahame          

Adam of the Road                                           Gray             

Phoebe the Spy                                              Griffin        

King of the Wind                                              Henry       

Paddle to the Sea                                            Holling           

Tree in the Trail                                               Holling         

Seabird                                                             Holling            

The Boy Who Held Back the Sea                 Hort           

The Great Turkey Walk                                   Karr                   

The Cuckoo Child                                           King-Smith          

The Water Horse                                             King-Smith           

Just So Stories                                                Kipling            

The Jungle Book                                             Kipling           

They Were Strong and Good                         Lawson            

The Story of Doctor Doolittle                         Lofting                      

Centerburg Tales                                              McCloskey            

Homer Price                                                       McCloskey            

The Golden Goblet                                           McGraw            

Gentle Ben                                                         Morey                     

Kaspar the Titanic Cat                                      Morpurgo            

Owls in the Family                                             Mowat                       

The Story of the Treasure Seekers                 Nesbit                    

Mrs. Frisby and the rats of NIMH                    O’Brien           

Island of the Blue Dolphins                              O’Dell                    

Egyptian Diary: journal of Nakht                      Platt                 

The Wonder Clock                                             Pyle                       

A Place in the Sun                                             Rubalcaba           

The Dragon of Lonely Island                           Rupp                     

The Invention of Hugo Cabret                        Selznick    

Black Beauty                                                       Sewell         

Five Little Peppers and How They …            Sidney                       

Five Little Peppers Abroad                               Sidney                   

The Minstrel in the Tower                                 Skurzynski           

The Sign of the Beaver                                     Speare                       

Detectives in Togas                                            Winterfeld           

Mystery of the Roman Ransom                        Winterfeld           

Mountain Born                                                     Yates                       

You're ahead of us, so I don't have a list of titles. But I'll pass along the advice that was most helpful to me as I find appropriate reading material for my daughter - Look for lists of "read alouds for x age" and pass those on for independent reading. The content is typically appropriate but with higher reading levels meant for the parent to be reading to the child. It has worked perfectly for us so far!

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Wind in the Willows

Rabbit Hill (also Mr. Revere and I, Ben and Me)

Cricket in Times Square

Clyde Robert Bulla books (Chalk box kid, Shoeshine Girl etc..)

Moffats

Peterkin Papers

Edit Nesbit books (Five Children and It, Phoenix and Carpet, Treasure Seekers, Wouldbegoods, Railway Children etc)

The Light Princess (George Macdonald)

Father Brown stories for children (fyi, second book deals with murder)

Snow Treasure

Phantom Tollbooth

Owls in the Family

Enid Blyton books (mystery)

Whipping Boy

My 7yo is at a very high reading level, but we have a lot of content issues. Some favorites that she will reread over and over (not necessarily all super advanced reading level!) include:

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Beverly Cleary (Ramona for my daughter, but Henry might be better for a boy)

TumTum and Nutmeg

Children of Noisy Village

Borrowers

Betsy Tacy

Little House (and the Rose spin off books)

early boxcar children

Pippi Longstocking

My Naughty Little Sister

These are books my DD has read this year and last year. She does jump from easier to harder books at time - mostly though I just want suitable content. Some of the ones I listed are still on our list to hand to her later this year.

Pioneer Cat

Capyboppy

My Naughty Little Sister series (if you use the ones with Bad Harry you might spark a boy's interest slightly more)

The Monty series (Amazing Monty, Magical Monty etc)

Enid Blyton's Secret Seven, Famous Five and various stand alone Enid Blyton books

The Magic Finger, Matilda and other Roald Dahl books 

The Children of Noisy Village

Beverley Cleary - it is the stand alones she is enjoying more than Ramona/Henry (Socks and Emily's Runaway Imagination)

Many of the younger Meindert De Jong books

B is for Betsy (this is more for girls)

Honey Cake

McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm (there are more in this series)

Many of the Dick King Smith Books (variable reading levels - some are beginning chapter books and others are a much higher reading level)

James Herriot - not just the treasury, but many of the other books too

Mrs Piggle-Wiggle

The Animal Ark Series (there are numerous of these and I know boys who raced through them at age 7)

The Sword in the Tree (my DD enjoyed this one despite it being supposedly more boyish)

Sable

The Indian in the Cupboard series

How to train your dragon series

The Toothpaste Millionaire

Jungle Doctor (numerous)

Dr Doolittle

My Side of the Mountain (I am using this as a read aloud now and it has been fine for my DD)

The Year of Miss Agnes

Don't forget to let him read some really lower level books too - I have been reading Poppleton to my 3 year old and my 6 year old who can read at a high level loves to come and sit and listen or read them to her sister.

I wrote a post on my blog today that listed all the books dd5 has read this past year.  The first half is picture books as her reading skills developed, but the last half you might find something.  She reads a lot of graphic novels, because she loves the artwork.  She is also into sci-fi/fantasy, so I am not sure if your son will be interested or not.

http://proverbs2pursuit.blogspot.com/2014/05/ones-chances-of-survival-increase-with.html