Menu

Food allergy question

BarbecueMom

I don't have much experience with food allergies, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned about what happened last weekend.

DH cooked fish for dinner on Sunday, a type that I can only remember having once before on my honeymoon nine years ago (mahi-mahi). We frequently eat salmon and catfish with no problems, and I make shrimp for myself several times a year (no one else likes it), so no other issues with seafood.

About 10 minutes into dinner, I started to feel a little uneasy. Not quite nauseous, but not hungry anymore, and a little "out of it". Because I'm nursing and need the calories, I finished my plate anyway. DS5 wanted me to read him a book after dinner, so I tried, until I was too uncomfortable to continue. I didn't have any trouble breathing, but my esophagus felt "tight" or full (lump in the throat feeling), I was a little lightheaded, and I ended up with very sudden GI problems (both ends) shortly after. I went to bed and slept it off.

It didn't feel like a virus or food poisoning or like my stomach wasn't digesting food. DH and DS5 both ate the fish and felt absolutely fine, it was handled on our end correctly, and the fish was definitely not undercooked! I thought it was acid reflux, but I had taken Zantac earlier in the evening, as I usually do.

This is the exact same reaction I get with oats, which I thought was related to my gluten intolerance, but now I'm wondering if this was an allergic reaction. There's still more fish in the freezer and while I don't want to waste it if the fish wasn't the problem, I don't want to mess around with an allergy either. It didn't occur to me until reading recent threads that food allergies could be more than the obvious throat-closing anaphylactic reactions and itchy hives. I did develop an itchy, bumpy rash on my elbows this week, but I think that's just eczema/dry skin. Or maybe it's related, I don't know. Or it could be some source of cross-contamination that I can't identify yet.

Thoughts?

Sounds like it might have been an allergic reaction.  Who knows, though?  I think the only way to find out for sure is to have testing or eat the fish again(!) and see what happens.

GI distress at both ends is how my son reacts to peanut exposure.  He will also sometimes have integumentary responses, like hives and eczema.

Even though it didn't 'feel' like a stomach virus, it certainly could've been, especially since you do have acid reflux, and that could easily explain the discomfort in your throat.  There can be breakthrough episodes of reflux, even when you are taking a PPI.

So, maybe an allergic reaction could explain all your symptoms.

Maybe you had 'breakthough' reflux and a mild stomach virus.

Maybe it was just a mild stomach virus.

Maybe it was just reflux (reflux can rarely make me vomit like that and can also cause the diarrhea).

Maybe you just got a bad piece of fish?

Maybe there was a gluten cross contamination? That is how my friend reacts to gluten: throat aggravation and GI distress at both ends

It could be a kind of fish poisoning as well, from the sound of it.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002851.htm

Regardless, I definitely wouldn't eat any more of it.

I saw that earlier this week in my Googling, but since DH and DS had no symptoms, I thought it less likely.

It's the frozen stuff from Costco. I think I'll just toss it to be safe. So long fish tacos.

I saw that earlier this week in my Googling, but since DH and DS had no symptoms, I thought it less likely.

It's the frozen stuff from Costco. I think I'll just toss it to be safe. So long fish tacos.

It does sound a little like Scomboid poisoning.  I would toss the fish and I would report it to Costco with the package information so they can investigate and pull the rest of the lot if necessary and possible.

I would also make an appointment with an allergy/immunology physician or go through your PCP for allergy testing.  The problem with food allergies is that they can worsen with repeated exposure and escalate into anaphylaxis so, if this is the case, it is important to make the diagnosis, start avoidance strategies, and have a plan for accidental ingestions (including access to an EpiPen). 

Are you sensitive to msg? My dh has a similar reaction (all except the vomiting) as what you described when he eats something with msg, particularly shrimp. I remember reading somewhere that some seafood is treated with msg before packing/shipping but I don't have a source for this.

The throat is one body system and GI is another. Two body systems is anaphylaxis. I would see an allergist. Until an allergist does  testing, I would be careful with fish. If you have a good doctor, you might see if he or she would prescribe an epi pen if you have a wait for the allergist. This would make me feel better in case you were reacting to a seasoning or similar additive rather than the fish itself.

FWW, that lump is how my son and father describe their throat swelling. Both also have hives usually. But my husband has anaphylaxis that hasn't ever involved hives. My son once had anaphylaxis that was "only" GI and asthma. I might have missed it had he not had previous known anaphlyaxis to the food.

I hope it's not a food allergy, but there is no way I feel you can safely try it out at home. Anaphylaxis can be mild once and deadly the next time. An allergist should be be able to safely sort it out for you.

Since you react this way to oats, I would think it was less likely that the fish needed to be thrown out, but rather you reacting it vs. poisoning. If you didn't have a gluten intolerance and hadn't had the same reaction to oats before and if someone else was sick, I would be more cautious that the food might have bacteria. Of course, it's totally your judgement call as whether to throw it out, but Mahi is expensive and fish tacos are delicious. I'd hate for no one to get to eat it if the more likely cause is an allergy for you.