Menu

why would I keep my Kindle 1st gen??

ProudGrandma

I just bought a kindle Fire HD and I also own a Kindle 1st generation.  My kids or my husband don't need it, so is there any reason to keep it, especially if I have a friend who is willing to buy it from me?  I can't seem to come up with a good reason...but I don't want to sell it only to decide later, I wish I hadn't. 

what do you think?

Can you read on a Fire in bright sunlight like you can an e-reader? That might not be something you typically do, but it's one possible issue that popped in my mind.

:iagree:

I doubt the first gen Kindles are worth much money now, anyway, and I personally prefer the lack of glare and non-backlit screen on the regular Kindles.

Also, my old Kindle is thinner and lighter than my Fire, which is convenient for when I want to pop it in my handbag and take it with me when all I want to do is read a book and not get online for anything.

I would keep both.

I can't read with it outside, so that wouldn't be a reason to keep it.  My friend is well aware of what it is and how long I have had it etc....so she is willing to take that risk, I suppose.

It is smaller...and so that might be the one reason I would keep it....my friend is willing to give me $50...which isn't much...but with our very limited money supply...I could do several things with that $50...but I still don't know.

thanks for helping me think this through.

It is smaller...and so that might be the one reason I would keep it....my friend is willing to give me $50...which isn't much...but with our very limited money supply...I could do several things with that $50...but I still don't know.

Sorry, I couldn't in good conscience take $50 for a first gen Kindle. A new entry level Kindle is $69.

I can't read with it outside, so that wouldn't be a reason to keep it.  My friend is well aware of what it is and how long I have had it etc....so she is willing to take that risk, I suppose.

thanks for helping me think this through.

I wouldn't in good conscience be able to take that much for it. A new one is only $69. 

I bought one in great condition and plastic still on the cover for $10. I am a NOOK girl but for $10 it is great for the kids to take when traveling and I won't feel to upset if something happens to it. Not sure if that is reason enough for you to keep it though.

The only problems I've heard of are with batteries.  And those can be replaced.

That's not my experience. Perhaps it's true overall, but it doesn't jibe with what I've seen. Out of all the many, many people I know who had 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation Kindles, only a couple of people still have working ones of that vintage. Most died due to screen issues, not batteries, including both of the 3rd generation ones we had in our house. 

I certainly couldn't feel good selling a very old (as these things go) Kindle to a friend for $50 when the new ones are $69 and regularly discounted down to $49!

That's not my experience. Perhaps it's true overall, but it doesn't jibe with what I've seen. Out of all the many, many people I know who had 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation Kindles, only a couple of people still have working ones of that vintage. Most died due to screen issues, not batteries, including both of the 3rd generation ones we had in our house. 

I certainly couldn't feel good selling a very old (as these things go) Kindle to a friend for $50 when the new ones are $69 and regularly discounted down to $49!

My post was based on what I've learned over several years by reading about user experiences on kboards.com (formerly known as Kindle Boards).  It's an excellent source for all things Kindle.  You're of course right that there can be other issues besides battery life.  But there are quite a few members there still using first generation Kindles who've had no trouble with them at all other than needing to replace the battery.

I have a third generation Kindle that still works as well as it did the day I bought it, and I have no doubt my first generation would still work fine if I replaced the battery. :)

But I agree there's no way I'd sell a first generation Kindle for $50.

Do you really need the cash?  I would be tempted to make this a gift.  I see them offered via Freecycle fairly often, and a new one would be only a few dollars more for her, and it would have warranties, etc.  I couldn't sell a first gen for that much and feel good about it.

Or is she, perhaps, trying to find a way to slip you some cash without seeming to give it to you?  

My post was based on what I've learned over several years by reading about user experiences on kboards.com (formerly known as Kindle Boards).  It's an excellent source for all things Kindle.  You're of course right that there can be other issues besides battery life.  But there are quite a few members there still using first generation Kindles who've had no trouble with them at all other than needing to replace the battery.

I have a third generation Kindle that still works as well as it did the day I bought it, and I have no doubt my first generation would still work fine if I replaced the battery. :)

But I agree there's no way I'd sell a first generation Kindle for $50.

having owned several of these Kindles, I have to say that they all died within two years from nonbattery related issues. Yeah, 4 is a small sample size; but it is a 100% fail situation. I'm now on a Paperwhite and am only having questionable things happen now and then that seem to resolve themselves with a reboot (less than a year old). So, why do I keep buying them? The way I use them, they are still a good deal even with their short lifespan. I did find my problem on the kindle boards. I did not post or respond in any way because there are no resolutions other than throwing it in the trash. I'm guessing that is why there aren't many posts about it.

I guess I never priced the new ones...but if they are really only $69...I also wouldn't accept $50...I am so glad you guys pointed that out to me...and actually that information makes it even easier to decide....if it's not worth much...then why sell it...I am keeping it.

thanks.