Menu

Dancers - bruises common?

Pegasus

DD14 comes home with new bruises from her dance classes all the time.  They heal quickly so I'm not too concerned about an underlying medical condition.  Just curious if all the other dancers are going home bruised as well or if DD is just lucky. :glare:

Sometimes the bruises are understandable as when one of the other tap dancers landed on top of DD's foot. Other times, it is just from sliding on the dance floor in jazz or various other dance moves.

Edited to add: Don't try Googling dancing and bruises. . .mostly pole dancing links come up!

so, i just asked dds who dance pretty much every day, for 2-3 hours a day.

she said, "i have had four bruises i can remember.  its worth paying attention to."

her younger sister said, "if she is rolling around on the floor in modern or jazz, she'll get bruises.  if she is just doing tap and ballet, that's a problem."

hth,

ann

I don't know about dancers, but I can tell you figure skater sure get colorful from doing slides across the ice. My kids are many colors of the rainbow all across their knees and thighs.   Skating pairs can often lead to arm and leg bruises so I would imagine the same would be true for dancers doing lifts, as well.

What kind of dance is she doing?  Ballerinas should not come home bruised.  Modern dancers, yes, but it should be minimal.

this.

dds also said that if there is a lot of bruising from modern/contemporary/jazz, it may be because the moves aren't as controlled as they might be.  this can happen when the weight isn't balanced in the right place, if the hips aren't square when they can be and/or if the core is not strong enough for what they are doing OR if they aren't engaging it.

hth,

ann

so, i just asked dds who dance pretty much every day, for 2-3 hours a day.

she said, "i have had four bruises i can remember.  its worth paying attention to."

her younger sister said, "if she is rolling around on the floor in modern or jazz, she'll get bruises.  if she is just doing tap and ballet, that's a problem."

hth,

ann

Agree with this!

I also agree that it depends on the type of dance.  I would be concerned about bruises after a ballet or tap class, but not after acro, jazz, hip hop or other styles that might have her rolling around on the floor.

And this.

In DD's jazz dance this year they end the dance literally throwing themselves across the floor.  DD has worked very hard on learning that this year so that she doesn't bruise from it- but all it takes is one knee or elbow not quite right and she'll come home with a pile of bruises. 

The more difficult and intense the dancing is getting, the more bruising I'm seeing.  They go away quickly though and don't seem to linger from week to week for those classes. 

I appreciate all the input.  DD is doing ballet, jazz, modern, and tap.  Except for the accidental foot stomp in tap, most of her bruises come from jazz and modern.  I think the comment about moves that aren't as controlled as they could be pretty much sums it up.  DD loves her dance classes but is definitely at the recreational level.