Menu

Read Alouds while studying American History?

My3Munchkins

Those SL cores were my first thought as well.  We're not using SL anymore but those were some of our favorite books ever and I'm looking forward to doing them again with my younger children.  I would think that you could easily incorporate those books without actually using the SL guides.

We're doing American History next year (up to the civil war).  I sat down with the book lists from:

• Sonlight
  • MFW
  • Veritas
  • HOD
  • Elemental History

to see which read-alouds seem to be universally recommended.  There are sooo many to choose from!

(I'm about to head out the door to take the kids to P.E. but I'll come back later and add in the book list I came up with.:))

These are some of the ones we read and enjoyed: 

1. Toliver's Secret

2. Amos Fortune, Free Man

3. The Witch of Blackbird Pond

4. Childhood of Famous American series (these are fun biographies)

5. The Little House Series

6. The 39 Clues (this one is a stretch, but it DOES center around Ben Franklin, lol, and they start out in America so that counts, right?)

7. Journey to the New World: the Diary of Patience Whipple

8. Heroes of History series (also good biographies)

9. The Sign of the Beaver

10. Johnny Tremain

Hope that helps! :)

We're doing American History next year (up to the civil war).  I sat down with the book lists from:

• Sonlight
  • MFW
  • Veritas
  • HOD
  • Elemental History

to see which read-alouds seem to be universally recommended.  There are sooo many to choose from!

(I'm about to head out the door to take the kids to P.E. but I'll come back later and add in the book list I came up with. :))

This is my problem!  There are so many great books I'm having trouble narrowing them down to make a manageable list!  We may just spend the whole year reading!

Witch of Blackbird Pond--favorite colonial book EVER.

Sign of the Beaver--some don't like this for its portrayal of NA peoples but we enjoyed it

Books by Kenneth Thomasma--written from an NA perspective. We liked Om-Kas-Toe and Doe Sara (I think that was the title)

Caddie Woodlawn--FAVORITE--set in Civil War, but about a family in Wisconsin--tomboy girl

Little House books--FAVORITE

Tree in the Trail (and Paddle by the Sea)

Streams to the River, River to the Sea--Lewis and Clark

By the Great Horn Spoon--and anything by Sid Fleishman!

Across 5 Aprils--Civil War

Miracles on Maple Hill--WWII--dad comes back changed

Does anyone have a recommendation for a comprehensive narrative read aloud for advanced kids this age? Unfortunately HE Marshall's "This Country of Ours" is not acceptable for our family. I'm thinking of using the first 2 Gerald Johnson's history for Peter books for assigned reading but would like something as a read aloud. I have a 4th edition(1971) of Bailey's "American Pageant", this was among the last single author versions of the text, which I received as a discard when I was a lad *many* moons ago. It has a decent narrative flow but I would hope there is a better choice. Bennet's "last best hope" is appealing since it is shorter but is pitched at too mature an audience both for sophistication and content. I don't need to get into promiscuity and syphillis   in the 1st chapter ;).

I have a schedule of what we are using for US History on my blog with lots of supplemental book options, many of the SL ones are scheduled. 

Some favorites

The Maestro Books

Jean Fritz books

D'Aulaire biographies

Om Kas Toe

Naya Nuki

Ben and Me

Mr. Revere and I

The Courage of Sarah Noble

The Little House books

Sarah Plain and Tall

The Cabin Faced West

Toliver's Secret

Squanto Friend of the Pilgrims

Pocahontas the Stranger

Paddle to the Sea

Johnny Tremain

Matchlock Gun

A Lion to Guard Us

These are all from the first half of US History...we will be using most of the SL Core E books for the 2nd year. 

We're using The Complete Book of US History as our spine, so the following categories are based from that...  Also, my kids are a bit younger than the OP's so I've got a fair bit of picture books included.  I've also mixed fiction & non-fiction (much of the non-fic is just what my local library had available).  This is just my "potentials" list -- I doubt we'll read all of these.  I'll narrow them down once I actually see them in person (most of these are from library searches, Amazon searches, etc...)

First Americans:

Dreamplace (Lyon)

Ancient Cliffdwellers of Mesa Verde (Arnold)

The Very First Americans (Ashrose)

North American Indians (Gorsline)

Aztec, Inca & Maya (Baquendano)

Explorers:

Eric the Red (Grant)

Eric the Red & Leif the Lucky (Schiller)

Leif the Lucky (D'Aulaire)

Who Was First (Freedman)

Pedro's Journal (?)

Follow the Dream Christopher Columbus (Sis)

The story of Columbus (Ganeri)

Explorers Who Got Lost

Colonial Times:

Roanoke: The Lost Colony (Yolen)

The Lost Colony of Roanoke (Fritz)

Pocahontas and the Strangers (Bulla)

The Story of Pocahontas (Jenner)

Squanto's Journey (Bruchac)

Pilgrim Stories 

If You Lived in Colonial Times

Tattered Sails (Kay)

Molly Bannaky (McGill)

Our Strange New Land (Hermes)
A Lion to Guard Us (Bulla)

The Legend of Daniel Boone (Blair)

The Matchlock Gun (Edmunds)

American Revolution:

Did it all start with a Snowball Fight? (Carson)

Paul Revere (Martin)

Paul Revere's Ride (Niz)

A Picture Book of Paul Revere (Adler)

Henry and the Cannons (Brown)

Farmer George Plants a Nation (Thomas)

Meet George Washington (Heilbroner)

Sybil Ludington's Midnight Ride (Amstel)

Sarah Whitcher's Story

The Bear that Heard Crying

(lots of pictures books on Thomas Jefferson/Ben Franklin)

If You Were there in 1776 (Brenner)

The One and only Decl. of Indep (St. George)

The Decl. of Indep.: A-Z (Osornio)

Whew, I have more for Western Expansion... but most of them are what my library had.  We'll read aloud:

Farmer Boy/ On the Banks of Plum Creek

Apples to Oregon

Sarah, plain & tall

The Cabin Faced West

Caddie Woodlawn

Lots of Tall Tales compilations

We, too, did a year of American History with the Complete book of US History as our spine. We added in quite a few American Girl books as we were theoretically using Portraits of American Girlhood (although we didn't use it much). My schedule - with readalouds - is at the link here. Some of the historical fiction reading was for an older child (5th), but you would want to preview anything because what didn't bother me might bother you. :-) 

I will tell you which books the kids disliked the most:  Johnny Tremain, the Story of Eli Whitney, Carry On Mr Bowditch, and Francis Parkman & the Plains Indians. 

Of the books they read, they most remember things like By the Great Horn Spoon.

They loved the songs the most - from I Hear America Singing! You could definitely spend an entire year (or two) reading. We read, drew, read, read, sang, and read some more.

There are some great suggestions here.  It's hard to just pick some of them.  

The Witch of Blackbird Pond is one of my all time favorite books.  I think growing up in CT maybe made me love it even more.  It's too complicated for my kids at this age, I think.  Maybe in a couple years.  I just read it this week actually since we are studying the colonial times.  Love it.

The Felicity Stories are good if your children like the American girl books.  We enjoyed them.

We liked: 

The Corn Grows Ripe

Tikta'Liktak

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Welcome to Kaya's World (not really a read-aloud, but a good discussion book), also Welcome to Kirsten's World, Welcome to Josefina's World and Welcome to Molly's World

Ben and Me

King George: What was His Problem?

The Courage of Sarah Noble

Farmer Boy

On the Banks of Plum Creek

By the Great Horn Spoon

Understood Betsy

Thimble Summer (set during the Depression, though it's not explicitly stated)

I didn't like Om-Kas-Toe as a read-aloud at all. It was really choppy. It's a good story, but better read silently. 

Others on my list we haven't gotten to yet:

Blood on the River: James Town 1607

Streams to the River, River to the Sea

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Rip Van Winkle, The Headless Horseman

The Ballad of Lucy Whipple

Two Miserable Presidents

Behind Rebel Lines

Little Women

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

A Family Apart 

A Girl of the Limberlost

Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself

Bridge to Terabithia

Wonder

I wouldn't use these as read alouds but DS has read ~1/2 of the Garrard Discovery series biographies, http://www.valerieslivinglibrary.com/garrard.htm , this year. I quite like them. They are written at a roughly 3rd grade reading level and are ~75-90pgs each. They are OOP but are better written than anything I've found in print. We get them through ILL. For us, DS can read them in a day and doesn't begrudge reading them. Sure they are some what light and naive but for a first exposure I think they are great... on subjects of greater interest we have followed up with Landmark books which are roughly twice as long and a couple a grade levels higher in reading level.

I didn't like Om-Kas-Toe as a read-aloud at all. It was really choppy. It's a good story, but better read silently. 

We have friends who read this & loved it. I couldn't figure that out since I was left with the same impression you had. I couldn't figure out how such an exciting idea was turned into such a terribly-written book. It turns out that when she read it aloud, she was modifying it as she went to make it flow better. I don't know if reading it silently is any better, but it could be such a great book if it were rewritten. Naya Nuki, by the same author, was a much better read.

I will say there were several books I really liked that the kids didn't love (like Swift Rivers, for instance). Often, we would barely tolerate a book & friends of ours loved it. Everyone is different, so you might just have to try some out. Also, we used audiobooks for some of the books.

We just finished Soun Tetoken, which was also by the author of Naya Nuki and Om-Kas-Toe.  It was a pain to read as well.  However, it was a great as far as historical fiction of the Nez Perce go.  We learned a lot.  So it was worth my pain in reading it.  The kids enjoyed it as well.