Menu

What would electronics be classified as?

Two of our sons are learning electronics from their dad, using a book from "Make" which involves some pretty high level electronics.  They will have at least 60 hours in by the time they are done, and possibly 90 hours.

My problem is not knowing what to call this for transcript purposes.  Is it a science course, or an elective?

Thanks!

Locally it would be "fine and industrial arts."  The state diploma requires one credit in that area.  One of mine is doing welding, and the other studio art.  For science, they only count the traditional three (bio, chem, physics) and a few others (earth science, environmental science, forensic science). 

Since electronics fall directly under physics (at least AP physics), I'd throw in some extra physics and give them a science credit.   :D

Oh, and I think that's especially fun, because you have some learning challenges in your house, right?  How awesome to take kids who might have been challenged to handle physics with a textbook, go through the topics by DOING, and bam they're there, doing great and engaged.  That's awesome.   :)

Here's a quick link with the list of topics.  See how many they're hitting...

http://www.learnapphysics.com/apphysicsb/  Admittedly in an AP class you'd cover the math as well.  I'm just saying don't underestimate that you're hitting legitimate science topics.  :)

Thank you all so much!  I was hoping we could count it as science.  The reviews on the book we are using from Amazon reflect it is a very deep learning experience, as many reviewers are electrical engineers and are praising it as "the" primer they wish they had learned from.

Oh goodie!  I am so happy! The boys will be, too!

This is the book we're planning on using:

http://www.makershed.com/Make_Electronics_book_by_Charles_Platt_p/9780596153748.htm

It may not be the OP's though

Over here it wouldn't count as science for a high school class. It would be a technology credit. 

Yes, this is the one we are using, and it is quite thorough.  We are going to use it for a science credit, I think, along with some more hands on work in addition.  We have less sciency kids with a number of learning challenges, and the traditional route doesn't always work for us. This being so hands on and well illustrated, it is working beautifully!

FYI:  From the Makershed.com web site you can by a complete parts kit to accompany this book, we added a few tools and we were set.  It is NOT a cheap course if you actually plan on doing the entire book, but if you do they will be well versed in electronics.   We are super pleased thus far.

Depending on the specific balance of theory vs. hands-on work, it could either count as a science lab course or a "Career and Technical Education" course. We've got that Make book and have been using that to prepare for the Science Olympiad circuits event. DH (who studied Electrical Engineering undergrad) spent an afternoon at B&N looking over their selection of electronics books as well and picked out this one: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Electronics-Self-Teaching-Guide-Projects/dp/1118217322/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395934260&sr=1-1&keywords=complete+electronics+self-teaching+guide+with+projects

Yes, this is the one we are using, and it is quite thorough.  We are going to use it for a science credit, I think, along with some more hands on work in addition.  We have less sciency kids with a number of learning challenges, and the traditional route doesn't always work for us. This being so hands on and well illustrated, it is working beautifully!

FYI:  From the Makershed.com web site you can by a complete parts kit to accompany this book, we added a few tools and we were set.  It is NOT a cheap course if you actually plan on doing the entire book, but if you do they will be well versed in electronics.   We are super pleased thus far.

Ooo, I'm looking at the samples, and it's fun!  Now one thing you could do to step it up a bit is to have them keep a notebook and draw the schematics for what they build.  The book shows them, but they can do the diagrams and labels, especially if they make something original.  We had to do that, along with tons of boring math, in AP physics.  So there are just little ways like that to make it more traditionally academic.  

You could, if you wanted, add in select videos from the GA PBS physics series.  It's free, you and you could just see if select videos apply.  That would just be an option, but it would be another way to come behind with some of the traditional work for something they now understand from handling it and doing it.  I'm not saying you *have* to do either of those things, just that you could.  Great find!   :)

Ooo, I'm looking at the samples, and it's fun!  Now one thing you could do to step it up a bit is to have them keep a notebook and draw the schematics for what they build.  The book shows them, but they can do the diagrams and labels, especially if they make something original.  We had to do that, along with tons of boring math, in AP physics.  So there are just little ways like that to make it more traditionally academic.  

You could, if you wanted, add in select videos from the GA PBS physics series.  It's free, you and you could just see if select videos apply.  That would just be an option, but it would be another way to come behind with some of the traditional work for something they now understand from handling it and doing it.  I'm not saying you *have* to do either of those things, just that you could.  Great find!   :)

I love this group for exactly this reason!  There are such great ideas to be mined here!  Thanks for the suggestions, I particularly like the videos.  The boys are really enjoying this more hands on way of learning...and adding in a little something else will make Mom happier :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm calling it a technology elective because we already have a science curriculum.

Also there is a blog and youtube channel devoted to this book, which can be helpful.  We're taking a little detour and soldering some Jameco kits for fun!

We've got that Make book and have been using that to prepare for the Science Olympiad circuits event. 

Can you describe your student's involvement in SO?  I briefly viewed the website, and it seems there are different ways to participate.  Is s/he on a team?  Is it a hand-on building competition, or more like a quiz/test of knowledge?  

Vent: Sometimes I view a cluttered page with lots of links and photos and requests to follow them on facebook and a history and a donation button, when what I really want is a few bullet points that answer the question: what is this?  

Finished venting.  Time for wine.