Menu

argh, lice!

Ravin

That is all, really.

I had to leave in the middle of class, because I had to pick him up from daycare.

Everyone gets treated. I stripped the kids' room bare. All bedding, clothing not in the closet or drawers, and stuffed animals, play rugs, etc. have been exiled to the back Patio until washed.

DS has been rit shampooed, oiled, and nit combed, as have I. I've sprayed down the car seats with rit spray. Mattresses are next, and cloth toy bins. Also DD's precious AG doll.

Sigh.

You don't have to wash all the stuffed animals.  You just have to put them into solitary confinement for a couple of weeks. That is what I had to do with my daughters this winter.  Lice went through all the high school girls at our coop.  Somehow the boys managed to avoid it. We closed the coop for a week to give the kids a break from each other and it seemed to break the cycle.Long hair was nasty to nit pick.  My sympathies to you.

Things that can't be washed other than the mattresses and doll will be exiled to the garage double-enclosed in plastic for no less than a month. Time and Arizona heat will finish off anything.

Our dryer is horrible. Takes 2 cycles to dry most things.

I mostly just do not want to deal with any reinfestation.

He caught them from my 4yo sister while we were visiting my mom at spring break. Evidently baby sis keeps breaking out again a month or so after mom thinks she finally has them licked.

Metal lice comb every single day for two weeks.

You will never find and kill all random lice in the house and will exhaust yourself in the process. Basic cleaning of the major stuff and then comb everyday to catch any that were strays.

I did it the standard way when my then five kids had it. They came back. I did the daily combing and got rid of them for good. They are resistent to the shampoos and sprays(or can be). Just comb them out every day. We watched lots of TV ;)

DD has them.

My 14yo. niece caught it from my DD. My sister hacked off half her hair.:(

She also shaved her own head and her 4yo's.

My sister is...well I am horrified for my poor niece.

OTOH, same niece gave them to me when she was 6 and her dad returned her from visitation with a fresh case (a day late, directly to her birthday party).

I let someone who held DS at the SCA event we attended Saturday and the mom of the other preschooler at the event know, just in case.

I'm going to have DD tell her two neighborhood friends' parents who she's visited since we got back.

Hopefully the oil and comb routine takes care of it!

• 3 months later...

I would not spray the doll. I would put it in a sealed plastic bag for a week. I did not use spray at all. Vacumming, washing bedding, and comb comb and comb some more. Make sure you have a metal nit comb and use conditioner.

Eta mom is clearly not combing long enough if sister keeps getting them. 2-3 weeks depending on how long you are seeing them.