Menu

End of year assessments?

~Victoria~

I know it isn't the end of the year yet, but what (if any) assessments do you do?  Texas requires nothing, but I think I want to have some kind of test to see where we are at with reading and math compared to what a public school might require. 

Kansas requires nothing either, but I use testing as both experience for the boy, as well as the accountability for me.  

I like the online Stanford through Brewer testing.  I'm even a fully certified teacher so I can use anything I want (with no training requirements) and this is still my preference.  

That said, looking at your signature, is your homeschooler only 5?  I can guarantee I wouldn't even think about testing a child that young.  I don't really see much of a point before about 2nd or 3rd grade...

I know our ps does reading/phonics assessments (tpri) starting in kindergarten. I don't want a full on standardized test - just to record where he is in math and reading at the end of the year. 

I am a certified teacher too, so that will be kind of nice once we start doing more formal testing in a few years. 

Most years I write up a short assessment that includes performance and attendance info as well as a few of the year's highlights.  Some years NY kids do have to take a standardized test.  I like the CAT-E and my ds will be taking it this June.  The other popular test here in NY is the PASS test which was created for homeschoolers, but only goes up to 8th grade and is not available in all states.  Both of these test only Language Arts and Math. 

Testing will never tell you "where we are at" and will only make you question whatever you ARE observing. Tests are just too inaccurate. The only thing I have found testing useful for, is to PROVE something to OTHERS that I am DEAD certain I am observing. If you don't have to do it, don't. I've only needed to PROVE something when I was asking for something, or when someone was trying to control what I was doing. I should have just taken my boys home sooner and played better chicken with the school board and never consented to the testing we did have done.

And often "where we are at" is a comparison, and what do comparisons matter? When they score highly...we can get into issues of pride, and when they score lowly we get ungrounded and indecisive and full of fears. Testing is distracting from what matters most. What matters most is steady progress through the skills and content and other things we think matter.

We test because state law requires it.  We have a local tester that provides tests to homeschoolers.  He gives the CTBS-Survey Plus.  My kids enjoy it for the most part.  If they didn't I would look into doing either private testing or an evaluation by a certified teacher which is our other option.

So far only my older two have had to take the tests, because testing isn't required until children are reportable age. I have found it interesting to see where the kids score, but I don't overly worry about it.  IME, it shows me areas that may be weaknesses or strengths for them, but really it is something I already knew just from working with my kids.  I did worry a lot more about it when they were younger, especially when it was my first.  At this point in my homeschool life I would not test if it weren't required, but I can see myself wanting to when I was newer at it and a bit more concerned about whether I was doing a okay teaching them.

The PASS test through Hewitt homeschool is easy to acquire and just covers math, reading, and language, but it starts with grade 3.

The SAT-10 has a kindergarten test. I have no idea what it covers. You can register as a proctor with BJUP and give the test at home.

Unless you are needing scores for a gifted program or some other specific purpose, I would not test a kindergartener. Really, you work with the child every. single. day. in a kindergarten class with one student. You know where your student is at. If you are meeting him where he is and you're moving him forward as he is able, what is the point in a standardized test?

HTH-

Mandy

I've done the Stanford 10 many years with my kids, but not all.  I do not give it to the school.  I do it partly for assessment, and partly so they get used to taking bubble tests and the testing "environment" before high-stakes tests in high school (SAT etc.).

The main assessment I do each year, and the one that I really value doing, is the yearly progress report I send to the school.  Summing up in broad strokes (the progress report is definitely broad strokes) what we've done over the year is always very satisfying.  I often realize we've accomplished a lot more than I thought.  It's also a great record of our years to look back on.  I'm kinda glad I 'have' to turn it in (I could also submit work samples or the tests, but I choose progress report instead), because I think I'd otherwise never get around to writing any kind of record or summary.

Our state law requires us to test annually starting next year. I've gone ahead and gotten an Iowa test to use this year just so DS can learn what a test is like.

I don't give a standardized test the kind of weight I do the narrative progress reports I write for him, of course, but I'm curious. And I found tests kind of fun as a kid, as a little break from the usual school stuff. DS may be the same.

Our state requires a test or assessment with a certified teacher (cannot be the parent), though we don't have to turn the results in to anyone.  I did the assessment last year.  It was really helpful to have the teacher work 1:1 with my son and then give me very specific feedback as to where he was at.

We're required to test annually starting when the child is 7 by Oct 1st and I have someone come to our house for $60/kid to administer the Peabody test. I like the way that the child answers questions orally, no bubbles, it takes 90 minutes maximum including the explanation of results (immediately), and it gives a grade level for which the child is average, in addition to saying how he/she compares to other children his/her age. The tester keeps asking questions until a bunch are answered wrong. 

My now 8 year old was bummed that he didn't get to take the test last year. I have some friends who start in kindy or first grade, but I didn't bother until it was required. 

It's worth it to me to pay an extra $25 or so to not waste a week with bubble-filling and for the results to mean something to me.