Menu

Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred users...

mlktwins

If I do this for 30 days straight (or most everyday), will I see big results at the end?  I am leaving on vacation the end of April and I am working big time on my eating and want to incorporate exercise.  I did the 30 day shred this morning, and while it was hard, I managed to get through most of it.  I couldn't do most of the push-ups though.  I am willing to suck it up and continue if I will reap pretty good results.  What were your results in 30 days and how often did you do it?

Thanks much!

I think you would reap more results from something like Insanity. To me, 30 Day Shred is super easy to cheat and the time is so short, if you are modifying and cheating slightly, it just doesn't have as much benefit as an hour long program.

My best results was from running 4 days a week, eating LCHF and doing Insanity.

I have always had great results with 30ds. Take a day off every now and then, and take care to have proper form. If it gets too easy, do it twice in one day or increase the weights. I did not lose weight, but I toned up nicely and got strong and fit. Ripped in 30 is also good.

Semi-noticeable, but not amazing. Did it 30 days in a row. I agree with a PP about Insanity. DH did Insanity and the results, even without a stricter diet, were much better. Wanted to like the Shred more, but ended up not being a fan. It's the only exercise program I've ever had a problem with recurring pain in the lower leg.

Not to push Beachbody, but DH and I just wrapped up T25 Alpha and Beta. If you want a short program like the Shred, T25 is 25 minutes for each workout and I feel it's a much better workout than the Shred. Insanity was too much for me, but T25 was doable and has modifications for low impact.

Erica in OR

If you like Jillian, then I recommend her Extreme Shed and Shred, which has @ 40-minute workouts.

http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-Extreme-Shed-Shred/dp/B005K8QI9E/ref=sr_1_12?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394908982&sr=1-12&keywords=30+day+shred

I also got good results from Insanity, but I turned the volume off and listened to my own music for variety.

I think you would reap more results from something like Insanity. To me, 30 Day Shred is super easy to cheat and the time is so short, if you are modifying and cheating slightly, it just doesn't have as much benefit as an hour long program.

My best results was from running 4 days a week, eating LCHF and doing Insanity.

How far do you run? And what is LCHF?

You're awesome. Where do you get the motivation? I eat well. I'm 5'7 and 139 lbs. But I'm a marshmallow. I'd love to get in shape for the long haul. I'm not getting any younger and I worry for health reasons that I don't work out enough.

I have a million excuses: we don't have a treadmill, we don't have sidewalks, the cool gym I joined for the indoor pool for the kids is a solid 15 mins. away blah, blah, blah.

How do you get motivated? Where would you start?

And thanks!!

Alley

How far do you run? And what is LCHF?

You're awesome. Where do you get the motivation? I eat well. I'm 5'7 and 139 lbs. But I'm a marshmallow. I'd love to get in shape for the long haul. I'm not getting any younger and I worry for health reasons that I don't work out enough.

I have a million excuses: we don't have a treadmill, we don't have sidewalks, the cool gym I joined for the indoor pool for the kids is a solid 15 mins. away blah, blah, blah.

How do you get motivated? Where would you start?

And thanks!!

Alley

I ran intervals at a high school track 15 minutes away. Ran the straights walked the curves for four miles 4 days a week. I bring the kids along with me. With it being colder now I run our road and leave the kids home alone. Only 2 miles at a time for now. I've been trying out T25 and like it pretty well. I start crossfit on Monday. It is a 30 minute drive one way but that is anything worth going to around here.

I follow a low carb high fat (but really more like high protien diet) and eat mostly fruits, veggies and white, lean meats, seafood and eggs.

My motivation does easily falter. I've lost a good bit but still have 30ish pounds to go. I'm joining crossfit for the sole purpose of changing it up and getting motivated again.

best wishes on your journey!

I just wanted to mention that while Insanity is a solid exercise program, it may not be the best option for the OP if she's not already in pretty good shape. I'm not sure I'd recommend 30 Day Shred for a beginner, either. Too many people want fast results, so they choose a program that is too difficult and intense, and they end up getting injured, or quitting in frustration after a few days because they're too tired and sore.

Also, is the goal long-term fitness, or mainly a "want to look good for vacation" type of thing?

BTW, please don't exercise every single day for 30 days. Your body needs rest days, even if you're already in good physical condition.

I use the Shred video sometimes when I miss a bootcamp.  I don't think I would like it much for 30 days straight.

I always found it hard to stay motivated with videos.  Maybe it's the TV thing, maybe it's the fact that I am in my living room.  I dunno.  If you have trouble with motivation, maybe getting out to a class with a friend would be better. 

Deals for Crossfit and such abound on Groupon.  I just got a month of unlimited at a crossfit for my husband a few blocks away for $30. Code Play20 gives you 20% off the price too. Given that all empty storefronts will eventually become a Crossfit place, chances are good there is one near you too and that the owners are running online specials somewhere.  :) 

I just wanted to mention that while Insanity is a solid exercise program, it may not be the best option for the OP if she's not already in pretty good shape. I'm not sure I'd recommend 30 Day Shred for a beginner, either. Too many people want fast results, so they choose a program that is too difficult and intense, and they end up getting injured, or quitting in frustration after a few days because they're too tired and sore.

Also, is the goal long-term fitness, or mainly a "want to look good for vacation" type of thing?

BTW, please don't exercise every single day for 30 days. Your body needs rest days, even if you're already in good physical condition.

What would you suggest for a beginner? A beginner-marshmallow like myself?

What would you suggest for a beginner? A beginner-marshmallow like myself?

I started getting in shape about a year ago with Jillian Michaels. I did the 30 day shred 5 days a week, so each level took two weeks. It was short so it didn't require a big time commitment.