Menu

Help I'm confused...Singapore Math

sixtimemomma

I was about to purchase Singapore math for my rising 1st grader and realized there are multiple versions. After searching the threads on the different versions I really got confused.

I was considering purchasing the Level 1 Standards edition but saw a few threads on MIF.

I was able to visit the link that allows me to view the MIF versions as well at: http://vihmh.impelsys.com/math_in_focus/index.php

But I don't get it.

What is the difference between MIF and Standards?  Is MIF available for purchase from Singapore?

Which is the better option for someone just starting out with Singapore?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

I've used MIF and SM, I prefer SM. The main reason is that I think the MIF teacher guide is prohibitively expensive.

You can get both programs from Rainbow Resource.

For SM you will want the Standards Edition - HIG, textbook, and workbook.

If you decide on MIF, you can often find the textbook used on Amazon for less than $10. RR has the workbooks.

ETA - a little more about the MIF teacher guide. I didn't really need it for the teaching of the program (there's a lot of instruction in the MIF text) but I needed it for the answers. My DS is using the MIF 3a workbook right now and there are some problems that I don't know the answer and it really irritates me.

I'd go for either the US or the Standards edition of SM. Both have the HIG which is not only reasonably priced, but also meant for a homeschooling context. The HIG also has all of the answers to workbook exercises, textbook practices, and workbook reviews.

For my younger one we use the textbook, workbook, HIG, and Extra Practice. In fact, I like really like Extra Practice for 1A/B and probably 2A/B. It seems to give the right amount of practice since we usually start around the second half of Kindergarten. I am not as enamored with Intensive Practice, but was they get older I do add in Challenging Word Problems about a unit or two behind where we are in the workbook.

Singapore Primary Mathematics is based on the pre-2001 syllabus of the Singapore Ministry of Education. Math in Focus is an Americanization of My Pals are Here Math, which is based on the post-2001 syllabus.

If you care at all about the Common Core standards, MiF is aligned with them, while California just rejected the new CC edition of Singapore Primary Mathematics because the scope & sequence is ahead of CC (insert banging head on wall smiley here)

"If you care at all about the Common Core standards, MiF is aligned with them, while California just rejected the new CC edition of Singapore Primary Mathematics because the scope & sequence is ahead of CC (insert banging head on wall smiley here)"

Typical. <Eyeroll>

I have never use the Singapore products but have used MIF 1A, 1B, 2A, and now 2B and have only cracked open the teacher's guides twice.  I would just use the online access when you need it and skip the teacher's manuals at this age. I don't plan to buy them for next year either.

I am planning to use MiF for 1st grade. I was given the textbooks by a fried who finished with them. I bought the workbooks on Rainbow Resource, and I plan to browse the TE online before each new chapter (it's free to look at samples of the entire teacher's edition).  If I hadn't been given MiF, I probably would have continued with Singapore. We've been using Singapore for kinder.  Really, I don't think you can go wrong. 

Singapore Primary Mathematics is based on the pre-2001 syllabus of the Singapore Ministry of Education. Math in Focus is an Americanization of My Pals are Here Math, which is based on the post-2001 syllabus.

If you care at all about the Common Core standards, MiF is aligned with them, while California just rejected the new CC edition of Singapore Primary Mathematics because the scope & sequence is ahead of CC (insert banging head on wall smiley here)

Wow...classic.  

I have no experience with MIF, but do enjoy Singapore Standards.  I vaguely remember reading that Standards was a better edition to buy than US edition.  But I can't remember why...lol

Quoting myself from this thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/502152-common-core-math-textbook/

Here are quotes from the reviewer's comments on PM in the "2014 Mathematics Adoption Instructional Quality Commission Advisory Report":

"chapters are not grade level, therefore students do not spend the large majority of their time on the major work of the grade."

"content progressions grade-by-grade are based on concepts within the program and not progressions in the Standards."

"components make students responsible for topics before the grade in which they are introduced in the Standards."

"material does not help English learners, students below grade level, or students with disabilities."

The full link is here (scroll down to Marshall Cavendish, Primary Mathematics): http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/im/mathreportsoffindings.asp

So much for CC being a "floor" rather than a "ceiling".

Well let's hope that Singapore doesn't adjust their curriculum so they align with CC.  

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why so many homeschool curriculum providers even care at all, about their stuff aligning with common core.

Are there many homeschoolers that care?  I haven't met or heard of any.  

I have no experience with MIF, but do enjoy Singapore Standards. I vaguely remember reading that Standards was a better edition to buy than US edition. But I can't remember why...lol

The HIGs are supposedly much better, also the books have a bit more review. I used US for 1st grade and switched to Standards for the rest because multiple people here said the HIGs had a lot more info and better info.

Well let's hope that Singapore doesn't adjust their curriculum so they align with CC.  

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why so many homeschool curriculum providers even care at all, about their stuff aligning with common core.

As far as MIF, I was told that they were NOT adjusting their curriculum to comply with common core. It was that it complied in the first place.

This is what I was told by Emily Crutchfield, National Sales Manager: "The scope of the 2009 edition was not reduced in order to align the program to the Common Core Standards. In fact, very little changes were needed. "

I further asked, "So, are you saying material was added, and not removed, to comply with the Common Core? And, there is no plan to change the scope or sequence to comply with Common Core?" She answered, "Correct."

The possible reason this is an issue for MIF, for example, is that they do use this curriculum in some brick and mortar schools.

We started homeschooling in 2006, and one of the biggest changes I've noticed among HSers I've met IRL is the shift from mostly "unschoolers" with a few families using TWTM, CM/AO, Waldorf, etc. to a LOT of HSers doing "school at home" using PS textbooks and really worrying about the state standards.

We started homeschooling in 2006, and one of the biggest changes I've noticed among HSers I've met IRL is the shift from mostly "unschoolers" with a few families using TWTM, CM/AO, Waldorf, etc. to a LOT of HSers doing "school at home" using PS textbooks and really worrying about the state standards.

The *only* state standard we worry about is passing the mandatory testing requirements.  

Though I can see why many folks might want to ensure that the education they are providing their kiddos will enable their kiddos to attend college, kwim?

Still...if I understand things correctly, more and more colleges are welcoming HSers with wide open arms.  

Though I can see why many folks might want to ensure that the education they are providing their kiddos will enable their kiddos to attend college, kwim?

No, I'm not talking about offering a college prep education (TWTM certainly does that, and most CM-ers I know are pretty rigorous during the high school years). I'm not even talking about the stupid University of California a-g requirements for high school courses. I'm talking about parents of elementary school aged kids worrying about following the state standards and whether their textbooks meet the state standards. And these are not parents who are only temporarily HSing with plans to enroll (or re-enroll) their kids in PS (that I could understand wanting to cover the same stuff as PS during the temporary HSing).

That's interesting. It seems that the vast majority of homeschoolers I know are so very unschooly. On the order of 90%+.

If you decide on MIF, you can often find the textbook used on Amazon for less than $10. RR has the workbooks.

ETA - a little more about the MIF teacher guide. I didn't really need it for the teaching of the program (there's a lot of instruction in the MIF text) but I needed it for the answers. My DS is using the MIF 3a workbook right now and there are some problems that I don't know the answer and it really irritates me.

Yes to the above.  There are lots of options for getting the student text pretty darn cheaply.  I have not used the other versions so I can't comment on those, but we are using MIF now and I got the text used for next to nothing on Amazon and the workbooks new for not much with Rainbow Resources and then I did go ahead and splurge on the TM, used, through another source (can't remember which one, since I buy a lot of used books) but it was still a LOT cheaper than a new one and arrived in near mint condition.  Check with ABE books.  They have some great prices when Amazon fails me...FWIW, I could probably just use the workbooks and student textbook but I have really liked having the TM quite a bit.  DS is loving MiF, but we just started.  

No, I'm not talking about offering a college prep education (TWTM certainly does that, and most CM-ers I know are pretty rigorous during the high school years). I'm not even talking about the stupid University of California a-g requirements for high school courses. I'm talking about parents of elementary school aged kids worrying about following the state standards and whether their textbooks meet the state standards. And these are not parents who are only temporarily HSing with plans to enroll (or re-enroll) their kids in PS (that I could understand wanting to cover the same stuff as PS during the temporary HSing).

With homeschooling growth rates, maybe these are people that like the school model and would send their kids if their school was better...

I have a good link to discuss this, I found the AR stats and posted them, they do a good job tracking and reporting homeschool stats:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/507828-interesting-homeschool-stats/