Menu

Boys indoor activities

momto10blessings

I took over leading a boys sports class in our co-op for boys ages 9-10. Wouldn't you know it, this next class is going to be rainy and cold, so no way will we be able to go outside.

Anyone have ideas for things for 9-10 year old rowdy boys to do inside that do not include running around. I'm really not looking forward to an hour of this! I have lots of boys at home and they always have friends over, but this makes me nervous for some reason!

Oh, there's about 15 of them and they probably won't want to play with play dough for an hour.

I love all these ideas, but forgot to mention that the activities have to be quiet without much moving... There is a class in the room next door and below us, so we can't be loud or too active!

I don't do yoga, so...

Co-op is friday, so probably not enough time to bring someone in... Plus I don't get much money to spend on this class since it's a PE class...

Exercises like sit-ups, push ups, etc. Stretching. Maybe look at YouTubes of warm ups for martial arts classes. Do you have any funds to bring in outside people (martial arts dude who gets free advertising from the deal)?

Yoga for kids DVD

Maybe I can contact some martial arts places and see if they want some free advertising! We don't have internet access or cell coverage at co-op, but maybe I can check the library for videos

My son's cub scout troop did a fitness challenge thing.  They had partners, and timed how many push ups and sit-ups they could do in a minute. (Might have included burpees/squat thrusts too.)  They also did a vertical and horizontal jump.   Then the goal was to check each week to see how much they improved.  You could also do things like the yoga tree pose or just balancing on one foot.   Could also add in arm wrestling.  

We use this DVD as part of our homeschool fitness.  My son likes it.  https://workoutkid.com/fun-for-kids/videos/

I always find boys do well with contests.  I might set up several different things that they can compete in - tossing balls in a bucket from a distance, walking a line of tape blind folded, basketball free shot record, a contest balancing on one foot for the longest, most sit ups, etc. 

But I also think that if you have the right kind of space, an exercise DVD would work - my DH had my whole extended family doing P90X once - and it wasn't that large of a space. 

Wouldn't you know it, this next class is going to be rainy and cold, so no way will we be able to go outside. 

Can't you tell them ahead of time to bring rain gear?  

I love all these ideas, but forgot to mention that the activities have to be quiet without much moving... There is a class in the room next door and below us, so we can't be loud or too active!

That's a fairly unreasonable requirement!  Do PE quietly without much moving??  I'd rather take them out in the rain.

Can't you tell them ahead of time to bring rain gear?

That's a fairly unreasonable requirement! Do PE quietly without much moving?? I'd rather take them out in the rain.

Well it's supposed to be outside... Our weather this time of year is usually much warmer. The boys class just switched over from board games to PE, but it looks like they may have another week of board games. Oh well, I tried.

I would take them outside, but then I'd have to leave my 1 year old screaming her lungs off in the nursery... She's been quite clingy lately.

Tower challenge

See who can build the highest tower using marshmallows (or gumdrops) and uncooked spaghetti.

Bridge challenge

Give them sheets of paper, 2 large plastic cups, and pennies (lots). See who can build the strongest bridge across the cups as measured by how many pennies it can hold.

LOL

This struck me funny.

I wouldn't have a clue what those signals are and what they mean!

Me either…which is probably why it's good to know. :)

Softball http://www.isfsoftball.org/english/umpiring/signal_chart.asp

Football http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/signals

Basketball http://www.ducksters.com/sports/basketball/referee_signals.php