Menu

Looking for games a kid could play by themselves...

BatmansWife

I'm trying to work on my school order for next year.  I was thinking of maybe getting a few games that Junior Batgirl could play by herself.  OK....let me say I play a lot of games with her.  But, sometimes I think she needs something she can do on her own without needing someone else to play.  Let's face it....that "someone else" will always be me.  I like playing games....but sometimes I just can't.  Do you know of any games that could be played solitaire (I know there's "solitaire"....I should really have Batgirl teach her that)?  The usual places our school orders from are Rainbow Resource, Timberdoodle, Amazon, and Mindware.  I'm thinking of getting Chocolate Fix.  I would love some more ideas.  

ETA: JB is 10.

We love Chocolate Fix! Almost any thing we have tried from Think Fun has been a hit. We also like rush hour, brick by brick. Logic Links by mindware also.

We have this also: http://www.amazon.com/SmartGames-SG423US-I-Q-Fit/dp/B0084ZJ9RS/ref=pd_bxgy_t_text_y And this company makes a lot more.

I would have guessed that you love Chocolate Fix (your avatar..... ;) ).  But, seriously...I'm glad to hear that someone has it and loves it.  It sure looks like a cute game.  JB likes Sudoku, so I'm thinking she'll love that (although it probably isn't even like Sudoku).  I like your other suggestions too.  We'll be getting those.  Thanks!

I've not played any of these games, but my son loves this style of logic/puzzle game. Some of them can be played solo or in a group (Set and Swish), some are more designed as a single player puzzle game.

Swish ($10)

Set ($12)

Logic Links ($15)

Temple Trap ($15)

Rush Hour Jr ($15)

Camouflage North Pole ($20)

Laser Maze ($25)

We own Castle Logix and Trucky 3, both of which he enjoys.

Great ideas to check out.  Thanks so much!

Rush Hour is awesome. Your daughter would blow right through the Junior version, though.

Any chance your girl has access to a tablet for independent play? There are so many great strategy games for only $1-3 each for the iPad.

I was just looking at Rush Hour, so I'm glad to see you recommend it.  I think she'd really like that.  I saw that the Jr was for ages 6-8, so I figured I'd just go with the original version.  The Safari one looks cool too.

She does have a kindle, but she's a little too hooked on that.  I'd rather her have some games to play that would help get her off the kindle.  :001_smile:

Our local hobby store has a display of Smart Games that we drool over...It looks like Amazon carries some of them.

DS has Pirates Hide & Seek and Color Code, both of which I highly recommend, esp. Color Code.  They are puzzle/logic games.  I foresee many more being added to our collection.

I hadn't heard of this one.  I'll take a look at it.  Thanks!

My ds takes games we already own and comes up with his own way to play by himself.

Yes, sometimes you do have to be resourceful and do that.  We have several games that aren't meant to be played solo but we've tweaked it so they could be....kinda. 

Our local hobby store has a display of Smart Games that we drool over...It looks like Amazon carries some of them.

DS has Pirates Hide & Seek and Color Code, both of which I highly recommend, esp. Color Code.  They are puzzle/logic games.  I foresee many more being added to our collection.

That site was great, thanks for linking it.  I wouldn't have even thought to check out their website, but I'm glad I did because they have some online games that look fun.  Also, looking at the demo of the game Aqua Belle I can tell my daughter would LOVE that.  So, I want to get that one and several other Smart Games.  I had already planned on getting Color Code, so I'm glad to hear you recommend it.

Bananagrams could be played solo.

And there are also Bananagrams books:

BananaGrams! The Official Book

Bananagrams: The On-the-Go Edition: 575 All New Word Games

10-Minute Bananagrams!

Bananagrams for Kids

More Bananagrams!: An Official Book

Also consider Logic puzzle books such as those by MindBenders.

Regards,

Kareni

Wow...I had no idea there were Bananagrams books.  Is there really that many different ways to play with the letter tiles?  Interesting....

I was looking at that and watched the video for it.  I wonder if it would be fun if you don't know anything about how to play regular chess? 

I don't know. He's been playing chess since he was 3. It seems like you only need to know how the pieces move to play the beginner cards.

You could stay him with No-Stress Chess. It is meant for two players, but at the easiest level, you turn over cards and it tells you what to do.

We like Rush Hour.

Usborne makes packs of write-on, wipe-off cards that might work. I bought them for car rides, but the 50 secret codes one needs scratch paper and pencil.

The 24 Game is a solo pursuit.

Set can work alone.

Tangrams?

You could stay him with No-Stress Chess. It is meant for two players, but at the easiest level, you turn over cards and it tells you what to do.

We like Rush Hour.

Usborne makes packs of write-on, wipe-off cards that might work. I bought them for car rides, but the 50 secret codes one needs scratch paper and pencil.

The 24 Game is a solo pursuit.

Set can work alone.

Tangrams?

Thanks for the suggestions.  I hadn't realized how many games there are that you can play by yourself.  I ordered some today and I know she's going to be thrilled.

Thanks again everyone!

Thinkfun has another fun solitaire game, Tip Over. We found it at the thrift store, and it's been a big hit.

We also ask our son to play games against himself with a specific goal in mind. For example: play mancala such that all marbles end up on one side, or play Connect Four such that you use every piece but don't win. My degree is in economics (with an emphasis on game theory), so I love mixing up rules for games.