Menu

Lone Pine Latin 300/400 Questions -- please help!

Is there anyone here who can explain what Lone Pine Latin is like?  I understand that 3rd year students are covering poetry for 2014-2015.  Ds and I would like to know what a typical week is like, what the homework is like, and if there are quizzes weekly.  I'm not getting much from the site and even after emailing I don't quite understand how it works.  We are trying to determine if he can fit it into his schedule.  

We were debating Lukeion Latin 3 and now it is full --even before registration has been opened to the public!  

Ds found out 3A is full during his Latin 2 class meeting yesterday.  She'll take names for a wait list.

​ETA: Registration doen't open until March 1st.  B/c it was only open to current Latin 2 students I thought I could make the decision this week.  Wrong.

I cant tell you about Lone Pine 100, but not sure how much that will help. Class met twice a week for an hour and a half. Homework ran about an hour and a half a day, although she said students shouldnt spend more than an hour or so. Tests every week on vocab and grammar and sometimes history. Classes were live, very interactive and lots of fun. She's a great teacher.

My son said that there were frequent quizzes but not weekly.  He also said that the workload varied. Some weeks he felt that he could barely get it done and other weeks that were easier.  My son felt that he had a hard time keeping up, but that was probably because he came from (what I now know to be) a less rigorous program - Reginal Coeli Henle track.  He did like the teacher.  My daughter is in 100 and loves her Latin class at Lone Pine. 

Ds found out 3A is full during his Latin 2 class meeting yesterday.  She'll take names for a wait list.

Wow!  That's impressive.  I would be upset too.

Last year the AP Latin filled up pretty quickly, but not that fast.  I think it was full by summer or so.

​ETA: Registration doen't open until March 1st.  B/c it was only open to current Latin 2 students I thought I could make the decision this week.  Wrong.

That means that they don't even have enough places for kids who are currently enrolled in the prerequisite class. That seems strange that they don't guarantee that you can continue with their sequence if you enroll before the public sign up. In fact, that makes me very leery of using Lukeion. I wouldn't want to be left high and dry without a space in the next class. Can you call them and ask them to open another section so that current students can enroll?

My daughter dropped Latin 300 this year.  The homework load was going to be too much for her.  For my child we were looking at two plus hours a day and that is more than we could devote to this one class.

The teacher is fantastic and truly loves Latin.  If you want to take Latin with Lone Pine, I would suggest getting on their wait list soon too.  

My daughter dropped Latin 300 this year.  The homework load was going to be too much for her.  For my child we were looking at two plus hours a day and that is more than we could devote to this one class.

The teacher is fantastic and truly loves Latin.  If you want to take Latin with Lone Pine, I would suggest getting on their wait list soon too.  

And the homework load with deadlines is why I was taking my time making a decision.  I'd like to be able to adjust the deadline some.   Now I'm considering putting together my own Latin 3 course and getting a tutor later next year to help Ds study for the SAT 2.

We need to sit down and discuss just how much work he'll have per class next year to see what is realistic. 

That means that they don't even have enough places for kids who are currently enrolled in the prerequisite class. That seems strange that they don't guarantee that you can continue with their sequence if you enroll before the public sign up. In fact, that makes me very leery of using Lukeion. I wouldn't want to be left high and dry without a space in the next class. Can you call them and ask them to open another section so that current students can enroll?

Yes, I think that is strange, too.  But I was actually in the room and heard her say Latin 3A is full and she is taking names for the wait list.  It's my fault for dragging my feet.  We just weren't sure Ds was going to be able to handle the workload along with other courses next year.  We've been weighing options.  He'd like to continue, but at his own pace with ability to adjust his schedule.  Doesn't seem like Lone Pine would be easier on the schedule.   If anyone came up with online latin that would accommodate schedule adjustments I'm sure they could make a killing!  I know I'd pay.  

Florida Virtual School offers online Latin 3, but there isn't any weekly meeting or group work. It is free for Florida residents, but I don't know how much it costs for out-of-state students.

This is a very nice option, but it does cost $800 for 2 semesters for out0of-state students.  I know I said I'd be willing to pay, but I might be eating my words on that!  I'd also like to read some reviews.

My kids heard Amy Barr say that there were still spaces open in the Thursday class.

They expanded this year to two sections of Latin 3.

I could be wrong about the openings. I hope not since I just signed my kids up.

Okay, maybe I missed it.  I followed the link for early registration and didn't see 2 sections.  Guess I'll go check it out.

ETA: Well, Sebastian, you are correct and I feel really foolish right now.  Now to discuss with Dh and Ds and make a decision fast!  But Thursdays at 4pm?  Ick! 

Okay, maybe I missed it. I followed the link for early registration and didn't see 2 sections. Guess I'll go check it out.

ETA: Well, Sebastian, you are correct and I feel really foolish right now. Now to discuss with Dh and Ds and make a decision fast! But Thursdays at 4pm? Ick!

But nice to have the option. I had to remember to correct all the times to our future Pacific timezone.