Menu

What is the difference between TWTM

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you here. Another thing to keep in mind is that TWTM is a "how to" book on classical homeschooling, while N&N was written to those starting and leading schools. If SWB was writing a book on the philosophy behind CE it might come across more like Hicks' book.

By the way--when I went to the Circe conference a couple of years ago I met and talked to Mr. Hicks in the hallway. It was the highlight of my trip! He lives in Montana and has a consulting organization now (if I remember correctly).

I read N&N a long time ago, and just loved it. Have never understood why people find it so difficult, but I guess that's because it is so philosophical. (I loved studying philosophy when in college - and ever afterwards! :)  

Beth, I hope you pop in and add your thoughts to the thread. 

I've read abolition and leisure, but I've always been intimidated by norms and nobility. There's also of course the problem that my library doesn't have it, and its 45 dollars (!) on amazon.... I can't find a kindle version.

I'm following along on this conversation though.

... And I want to hear the details of your disagreement.

I would love to be involved in the discussion but unfortunately The Abolition of Man is the only one of these books available for Kindle and I have no library. [cue pity]

oh, you are kind.  I'm so so glad other folks like discussing the various aspects of these things, too.

I think I should save my critique for the Discussion Proper, yes?  but will PM the gist of it to you today or tomorrow (the weekend at the latest!) and include enough of the material around the quote to give some context ...

oh, you are kind. I'm so so glad other folks like discussing the various aspects of these things, too.

I think I should save my critique for the Discussion Proper, yes? but will PM the gist of it to you today or tomorrow (the weekend at the latest!) and include enough of the material around the quote to give some context ...

Thank-you. I will be looking forward to it. I'm impatient for the Discussion Proper since I don't have the book to read in the meantime so your PM will be a kind mercy. :)

45 is crazy! It was expensive when I bought it, but not that much, I don't remember the exact price but I am pretty sure I did not pay $45 for a paperback.

When I bought mine it was a little less expensive at Circe than on Amazon. I think media mail shipping was free.

Hi Mouse!

I thought that this was the discussion of N&N.

But now judging by what some are saying, I am thinking that this book discussion is happening somewhere else, right?

:huh: 

Beth

I think it is going to take place here.  When it was first mentioned, I think it was suggested to start in a couple of weeks to give people time to get the book.  (And maybe do some pre reading?  That's what I've been *trying* to do.  I need to get cracking on Leisure.

I think it is going to take place here. When it was first mentioned, I think it was suggested to start in a couple of weeks to give people time to get the book. (And maybe do some pre reading? That's what I've been *trying* to do. I need to get cracking on Leisure.

That's my impression too!

I read Leisure last month and yesterday I got Abolition of Man from the library :).

I think it is going to take place here. When it was first mentioned, I think it was suggested to start in a couple of weeks to give people time to get the book. (And maybe do some pre reading? That's what I've been *trying* to do. I need to get cracking on Leisure.

I panicked for a moment thinking that I was missing out on the discussion somewhere else.

When I bought mine it was a little less expensive at Circe than on Amazon. I think media mail shipping was free.

Its 40$ at Circe, and I did find a 37 dollar used copy on Amazon but I think its just plain too expensive for me right this moment.  I've searched and searched for an e-version but I cant seem to find one.  It may have never been converted.  :(  

Hi Mouse!

I thought that this was the discussion of N&N.

But now judging by what some are saying, I am thinking that this book discussion is happening somewhere else, right?

:huh: 

Beth

Right here! I just didn't want you to forget about us. :D 

Anytime all of you want to start, go ahead, I just wanted to give people time to read a bit first. 

As to the price, yeah, it's a tough one. My only consolation is that it is one of the books that has changed my schooling philosophy the most, and so I see a lot of value for the money. 

I haven't read it yet, but I finally found a used copy on Amazon for around $20 right before Christmas. If you keep watching, you might find it cheaper too. Good luck! I was going to start reading N and N this weekend, but after reading this thread I'm off to order Leisure and Abolition.

I clicked on this by accident. I'm glad I did bc I thought it was going to be a discussion on the different eds of the WTM.

For those reading Abolition of Man, you might enjoy this lecture by Kreeft. Kreeft is unapologetically Catholic, so his POV is definitely philosophically from that direction. His love for Lewis and discussion around the devolution of man to the trousered ape is an enjoyable listening experience from my perspective (but I am also unapologetically Catholic and a diehard Lewis fan and Kreeft fan, too)

http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio/13_lost-in-the-cosmos.htm

I have N&N on a shelf somewhere.....never read more than a few pages. I am in an intellectual funk, so I am game if I can find the book.

Thanks for posting the Kreeft lecture again.  I finally listened to it this morning and really enjoyed it.  I've had it saved on my to-do list since you posted it, I don't know, years(??) ago!  I recently finished my second read of Abolition... so the timing was right.  I've had N&N on my Amazon wishlist for years now too, but it is expensive and I have so much to read...  (We'll see if you all talk me into it.)

I think a new thread with Norms and Nobility in the title would make it easier to find and others might see it and join in, but I'll go with what everyone else decides. :) I may not post much, but I'll definitely be following along! Reading others thoughts helps me clarify my own.