Menu

Stupid new bed! Is this common with pillow-top memory foam mattresses?

Miss Cornelia Snook

We got a new bed last November, and I loved that thing so much. My morning backaches were gone after sleeping on that thing. It had a memory foam type pillow-top and was so extremely soft and comfortable. However, it developed a hill between two valleys and at DH's insistence (and soon I decided he was right--it was getting uncomfortable), we returned it under the furniture store's exchange policy. We chose a new one from a different manufacturer, but also with the same type of pillow-top. That one felt pretty comfy in the store--slightly firmer for DH's sake, but not bad. Our new one was delivered and it felt MUCH firmer than in the store! The morning backache is back and I'm ticked off. And once again, after less than two weeks, we're getting a hill in the middle between two valleys. We only get one exchange from the store, so I'm going to lay our old mattress topper from Ikea on the new bed and hope for the best. DH is planning to call the store and see if they can do anything for us. His parents had the exact same problem with their new bed that they bought from this store a few years ago.

ANYWAY, has anyone else had this "hill and valley" problem with this type of mattress? I think it's the memory foam that is our problem. I'm sad. :(

Yes, it is normal. In fact, the bed we bought almost 10 years ago specifically said this would happen. It is why you're supposed to rotate the bed frequently...which I did not do, but such is life.

Ours is still, however, very comfortable, so we aren't planning to replace it for another 10 years. ;-)

WE have a pillow top that developed the hills.  We replaced it once but the same thing happened.  We added a gel memory foam topper from Costco and it helped tremendously.  We not ever buy a pillow top again.  I agree with the poster to just buy a plain mattress and add the topper which can be replaced if needed.

It's not just memory foam that does it. Pillow tops in general are notorious for developing "wallows" where you sleep. I think any kind of heavily padded mattress can develop these, but it's worse with pillow tops because they're generally can't be flipped (only rotated).

We bought a latex mattress 10 years ago that hasn't developed valleys and hills, and we bought a separate (removable/replaceable) pillow top for it. That pillow top is also latex and has also not developed a wallow, which may be because it's mostly latex, with only a small compressible layer of wool on top of the latex.

Oh, yes it is very common with pillow tops.

We had one that was so amazingly comfortable for a few months and then bam!  We were left with the w (we each slept in our side valley between the huge hill/bump in the middle) bed.  In less than a year it was back-breaking to sleep on/in.  The company insisted it was normal to develop those sags, but I was able to exchange it because some of them were two inches deep; they required over an inch and specific pictures to document it or a $50 charge for a technician to measure it.   We exchanged it for a no pillow top and topped it with a washable mattress pillowtop pad. 

We have a Tempurpedic mattress ♥♥♥ about 8 yeas ago and we have little valleys where we sleep, but as we always sleep in the same spot, and the valleys are perfect for us, we don't mind.  They aren't deep, just a slight impression.  The salesman told us it would happen, and that we should rotate it every now and then (you can't flip pillow tops), but we have a king, and that thing weighs more than I do, so we don't rotate it.  Still, we both love it, and have no backaches in the morning.

We got a new bed last November, and I loved that thing so much. My morning backaches were gone after sleeping on that thing. It had a memory foam type pillow-top and was so extremely soft and comfortable. However, it developed a hill between two valleys and at DH's insistence (and soon I decided he was right--it was getting uncomfortable), we returned it under the furniture store's exchange policy. We chose a new one from a different manufacturer, but also with the same type of pillow-top. That one felt pretty comfy in the store--slightly firmer for DH's sake, but not bad. Our new one was delivered and it felt MUCH firmer than in the store! The morning backache is back and I'm ticked off. And once again, after less than two weeks, we're getting a hill in the middle between two valleys. We only get one exchange from the store, so I'm going to lay our old mattress topper from Ikea on the new bed and hope for the best. DH is planning to call the store and see if they can do anything for us. His parents had the exact same problem with their new bed that they bought from this store a few years ago. ANYWAY, has anyone else had this "hill and valley" problem with this type of mattress? I think it's the memory foam that is our problem. I'm sad. :(

Yep.  Sure have.  I replaced my last mattress after only a year.  I hate that - it was comfortable.  But I had to roll uphill to get out. 

In my experience pillow tops have always shifted.  My husband feels our Temperpedicm no pillow top mattress have developed "soft" spots or valleys for

him.  We've owned it about 6 years.  He's ready to buy a new mattress.  It's a rather expensive type of mattress to already need to replace, I think.  I haven't

noticed soft spots or valleys but he feels it's definitely there.  I LOVE the non-movement of the Temperpedics, so I'm positive I can't go back to regular mattresses.

Hotels are a nightmare because it can feel every movement. :)

I wish I could find the perfect bed! :) Good luck!