Menu

need theme ideas for middle school dance

ktgrok

A group I'm part of is going to have a dance (semi formal) for middleschoolers. The girls want something pretty/formal/etc. The boys ..well, lets say that they don't want "an evening in Paris" or something. I suggested a James Bond theme, as that would be formal but more guy friendly, but half the kids haven't heard of James Bond, lol. So...any ideas? My other thought was Hollywood Stars...have a red carpet, movie posters, "stars' with the kid's names on them, maybe have popcorn, etc. 

Any other thoughts?

Is this for middle schoolers (grade 6-8) or highschoolers (9-12)? You mention both in your post.

Does this have to be a semi formal dance?  Just asking as I am not in favor of those for middle schoolers.  Our local schools do a themed activity night where all the kids can come and have fun and aren't pressured into pairing up, limited to dancing, etc.  They do have a dance area but really the kids don't do much there.  They also have karaoke, a mechanical bull, a photo booth, games, crafts, an area where they can get their hair spray painted (like Halloween type that washes out), mini golf, basketball, and a host of other things.  The kids love it and there is something there for everyone.

Is this for middle schoolers (grade 6-8) or highschoolers (9-12)? You mention both in your post.

Does this have to be a semi formal dance?  Just asking as I am not in favor of those for middle schoolers.  Our local schools do a themed activity night where all the kids can come and have fun and aren't pressured into pairing up, limited to dancing, etc.  They do have a dance area but really the kids don't do much there.  They also have karaoke, a mechanical bull, a photo booth, games, crafts, an area where they can get their hair spray painted (like Halloween type that washes out), mini golf, basketball, and a host of other things.  The kids love it and there is something there for everyone.

oops, yes, grades 6-8, with some older siblings. So really, grades 6-9. 

Semi formal is probably a bit of a stretch...guys in dress pants and dress shirts, girls in dresses. More nice church clothes for the guys, I can't imagine they will actually wear suits or anything. Girls will be more dressy, but that's cause they like that kind of stuff. 

Good call on the "not just wanting to dance" thing. Some games/activities/etc are a very good idea. 

We did a Hollywood theme and it was great. It leaves a lot of wiggle room: they can dress in 'glamourous' clothes, or they can emulate a certain actor/character. One of my dds did 1940s style starlet, and one did Katniss Everdeen from Hunger Games, complete with bow and arrow. 

also popular: pirates, masquerade.  

How about Diamonds & Denim as a theme? That way the gals can dress up and the guys can dress down. I've seen this done as a fundraiser. 

If it's the kind of dance where you have someone teach a dance or two, you could have someone teach a country line dance and someone else teach a waltz. 

You could do a beach theme and have everyone shag! That would be awesome!