Menu

The fund for non-public schools - is my opinion unusual?

Ginevra

In my state, there is an organization which collects charitable donations from private (I.e. Non-government) sources for the purpose of reimbursing families incurring education expenses that are non-public. My umbrella adviser is encouraging us to apply for this fund for homeschool expenses. I believe there is a cap of $1000 max that a family could collect, but one thing that bothers me is that it is not need-based. There's nothing in terms of a family's ability to pay for hs enrichment or opportunities that prioritizes one family over another.

This bothers me. I do not see why one who makes a choice to homeschool ought to get money just because it would be handy. Plus it makes me wonder (and doubt) that the businesses and individuals who donate to this fund fully understand that there is no need basis for a family to get a reimbursement. Personally, I would feel like a leach if I got reimbursed for guitar lessons and math curricula but meanwhile am planning a family ski vacation. What do you think?

I guess it would depend on the terms that the donors THINK the money should be given. If the donors are fine with it, then so also would I be.

I was looking at the website for the fund and it looks to me like the education part is one "branch" of what the fund could be used for. I think it's a little like The UnitedWay - a large fund that is supposed to divvy up benefits among the several non-profits under its wing, one of which is this sort of vague "non-public school support".

From a moral stance: 

Lets say that I homeschooled my children and we did alright but struggled and we never could afford a vacation and I whereas I never regretted homeschooling, I did regret the some of the sacrifices my children had to make.

I now make tons of money selling  doo-dads and I want to give back to the homeschool community.  I donate money every year for homeschool families to have extra money for  **whatever** (even ski vacations).  

This would be fine-- even for families that aren't visually struggling-- because that is what I, the donor, wants. 

Maybe I just want to sort of "reverse the tax money situation"  You pay for schools you don't use, I donate and get tax write-offs, I see that as a way to "even the score" and I don't care what you do with "your" money.  (sort of a Robin Hood deal)

Perhaps I only want people to buy science text books with it--- if that is true I should have a plan in place to ensure that science books are purchased with the money.

I guess what I am trying to say it this:  if you fit the requirements, then don't feel guilty.  If the donors wanted it to be "just for certain income brackets" they should have said so.   If you think the parent company is doing things incorrectly, say so.

I once volunteered for a food ministry that sold its food to regular people every week-- if you had $50 you could get about $150 worth of food.  I shopped there and didn't feel bad at all--- they still gave tons of food to needy people and my money kept the lights on and allowed the ministry to provide cash payments for people's utilities.  

But when I saw them selling the Christmas gifts (donations) to people and giving only the crappy gifts to the police/fire donation drives (you know the non name brand toys) --  After watching a church ladies group spend months getting toys donated and wrapped (spending $$$ on wrapping paper) and then seeing the toys unwrapped, sorted and sold to people that buy them at super discounted prices--- I was done with that place.  True the money still went to the same place, but the food was given by grocery stores that wrote off the loss and a lot of it went to hungry people.  But the people who gave the toys would have been VERY upset to see the result of their good will and money. 

I had a meeting with the owner, I told her what I thought was improper, told her I couldn't be a part of it, and never looked back.

Should public school parents feel bad about taking their kids on vacation because they are using a free educational service that is available to everyone regardless of income?

No, but that is not the same. We all must pay for public schools, whether we have kids or not and whether the schools are awesome or crappy. We all pay for the public library as well and the public parks. But the choice to homeschool or use a private school (both are true for me), assumes one acknowledges that they will spend money for something that could otherwise be obtained through public use. If I purchase a book, for example, because I want to always have it or because I don't have the patience to wait for the public library to obtain it, I wouldn't then expect someone to reimburse me the cost of the book. I had an option to use the book for free, but I chose to purchase it instead, so there is no reason someone else should reimburse me charitably.

If you feel you have no use for the money, leave it for someone else. If it would mean you can do things for your family that you couldn't do otherwise, take it. 

Families who pay extra for nonpublic education make sacrifices for the benefit of their children. I see no problem with private citizens choosing to help relieve a bit of the burden from any family who is incurring this extra expense.

I agree with you, Quill, although I do agree with others that whether the donors are fully informed makes a difference.

Thinking aloud about some of the other comments:

Even people who don't "use" public schools benefit from them, because otherwise we run the risk of completely uneducated hooligans making up the majority of society.  I'm pretty sure that's the primary reason we have so many after-school programs for athletics and activities - so the kids are supervised and occupied, rather than left to their own devices.

I think your library analogy is apt, Quill.  It occurs to me that local government is structured like a giant HOA - everybody pays in for the services that benefit everyone, like, say, community pool maintenance.  I'm not a swimmer, but I certainly would agree that the pool is a nice amenity and needs to be kept up properly, if only to protect the potential resale value of my home.  Likewise, I would prefer strong public schools in my neighborhood, regardless of whether I had children attending.

Another situation that has been bothering me is the number of times I hear homeschoolers talking about taking EIC.  That doesn't feel right to me - EIC is for people who are working but not earning enough money to get by, not for people who choose not to work at all, or only part-time, so they can home educate.  What I am not sure about, though, is whether EIC is optional.  I have a dim memory of someone who did not claim EIC on a tax return, but then the IRS recalculated the return to include the credits.  If that's the case, then I should get over myself.  :p

As for whether you should apply, I think maybe you should investigate further first, if only to ease your own mind.  It's not worth it if it makes you feel you're on shaky moral ground.  IMO, personal integrity trumps.

I agree with you, Quill, although I do agree with others that whether the donors are fully informed makes a difference.

Even people who don't "use" public schools benefit from them, because otherwise we run the risk of completely uneducated hooligans making up the majority of society.  I'm pretty sure that's the primary reason we have so many after-school programs for athletics and activities - so the kids are supervised and occupied, rather than left to their own devices.

I think your library analogy is apt, Quill.  It occurs to me that local government is structured like a giant HOA - everybody pays in for the services that benefit everyone, like, say, community pool maintenance.  I'm not a swimmer, but I certainly would agree that the pool is a nice amenity and needs to be kept up properly, if only to protect the potential resale value of my home.  Likewise, I would prefer strong public schools in my neighborhood, regardless of whether I had children attending.

Another situation that has been bothering me is the number of times I hear homeschoolers talking about taking EIC.  That doesn't feel right to me - EIC is for people who are working but not earning enough money to get by, not for people who choose not to work at all, or only part-time, so they can home educate.  What I am not sure about, though, is whether EIC is optional.  I have a dim memory of someone who did not claim EIC on a tax return, but then the IRS recalculated the return to include the credits.  If that's the case, then I should get over myself.  :p

As for whether you should apply, I think maybe you should investigate further first, if only to ease your own mind.  It's not worth it if it makes you feel you're on shaky moral ground.  IMO, personal integrity trumps.

So then what you are saying is that only wealthy people should be allowed to home educate? 

That families with one wage earner who qualify for EIC should not take it even if the non-wage earner is contributing to society in other ways? 

And that people who accept any type of help should not be allowed to have a family vacation?

Society benefits from the superior education I'm giving my kids. They also save some 12K a head because I'm doing it.

EITC is calculated on the money that the working spouse earns, not on the money that SAHM doesn't make.

So long as donors understand it is not based on need, I do not see the big deal. I probably would not donate to them nor take money from them. But I have no problem with it either way.

Kinda like when I came out of the store yesterday and kids were having a bake sale for a private school. Stuff like that does not "bother" me exactly, but I can't afford to send my kids to a private school so I really don't feel like donating money to those who CAN send their kids to a private school. Maybe my thinking is messed up, but that's how I think.

Understand, I don't mind that the fund exists, I just don't feel that I'm a person who should benefit from it. I'm also somewhat annoyed that the lady on the Board who used to homeschool is urging hsers to apply, regardless of need.

Understand, I don't mind that the fund exists, I just don't feel that I'm a person who should benefit from it. I'm also somewhat annoyed that the lady on the Board who used to homeschool is urging hsers to apply, regardless of need.

It think it's hard for us to comment because we're not familiar with the fund. If it's a fund of people who just want to reward and encourage choice in education, that's cool. If it's a fund designed to help needy kids escape their substandard public schools, then you're right, it's sketchy to take money from it. It sounds like your impression is that at least some of the donors think the latter, in which case sketchy.

OTOH, charitable trusts and foundations HAVE to give their money away or face tax consequences.  They'd rather have the money go to support their mission.  Furthermore, it is possible that they are trying to prove that there is a need for this law that they pushed for which takes the money away from the general fund and puts it into these scholarship accounts.  They may need to boost their application numbers... 

Even people who don't "use" public schools benefit from them, because otherwise we run the risk of completely uneducated hooligans making up the majority of society. I'm pretty sure that's the primary reason we have so many after-school programs for athletics and activities - so the kids are supervised and occupied, rather than left to their own devices.

I think your library analogy is apt, Quill. It occurs to me that local government is structured like a giant HOA - everybody pays in for the services that benefit everyone, like, say, community pool maintenance. I'm not a swimmer, but I certainly would agree that the pool is a nice amenity and needs to be kept up properly, if only to protect the potential resale value of my home. Likewise, I would prefer strong public schools in my neighborhood, regardless of whether I had children attending.

Another situation that has been bothering me is the number of times I hear homeschoolers talking about taking EIC. That doesn't feel right to me - EIC is for people who are working but not earning enough money to get by, not for people who choose not to work at all, or only part-time, so they can home educate. What I am not sure about, though, is whether EIC is optional. I have a dim memory of someone who did not claim EIC on a tax return, but then the IRS recalculated the return to include the credits. If that's the case, then I should get over myself. :p

As for whether you should apply, I think maybe you should investigate further first, if only to ease your own mind. It's not worth it if it makes you feel you're on shaky moral ground. IMO, personal integrity trumps.

This happened to us years ago. I do our taxes and did not claim the EIC. We got an extra check from the IRS a couple of months later with a letter stating that I had made an error in not claiming the EIC.

Another situation that has been bothering me is the number of times I hear homeschoolers talking about taking EIC. That doesn't feel right to me - EIC is for people who are working but not earning enough money to get by, not for people who choose not to work at all, or only part-time, so they can home educate. What I am not sure about, though, is whether EIC is optional. I have a dim memory of someone who did not claim EIC on a tax return, but then the IRS recalculated the return to include the credits. If that's the case, then I should get over myself.

Actually, a lot of people receive EIC because it is based on *taxable income.* I think you might be surprised who qualifies. Tax laws are exactly that. There is no reason people should feel their personal integrity is compromised for following tax law as it is designed.

So then what you are saying is that only wealthy people should be allowed to home educate? 

Of course not.  I'm saying choices come with trade-offs.  I'd love to homeschool, but I am not comfortable bringing my family below the poverty line to do so. Ergo, I work and the kid is floundering in PS.  Other parents choose to forego work in favor of homeschooling.  Ergo, they likely have less income than they would if they were working.

That families with one wage earner who qualify for EIC should not take it even if the non-wage earner is contributing to society in other ways? I guess, IMO, it depends on what those social contributions actually are ... but then again, I know that creating too many subsets in this sort of thing leads to impossibly murky waters, so I usually think all-or-nothing is the better way to go - that is, either we ignore all of the possible permutations and just fork over the cash, or we don't give anyone anything.

And that people who accept any type of help should not be allowed to have a family vacation?  I honestly don't know how you came up with this one.  I don't recall saying a word about vacations.  Anyway, IMO, a family vacation is not exactly a fundamental human right. 

Clearly I've hit a nerve with you.  Not my intention at all.  As I said:  "that doesn't feel right to me."  Looks like you feel differently - and that's OK with me.  :)

Drat! I just noticed the one-star rating at the top of the thread, and I clicked on it hoping to investigate what that was all about and accidentally gave a second one-star vote. :( And apparently I can't change it. Sorry, Quill.

I hate that stupid star rating thing anyway. I never could figure what benefit that is supposed to provide.