Menu

9th grade English class as prep for PA AP English?

For those of you who have had students take the PA AP English class, what writing did your students do prior to the PA classes?  Do you have any suggestions for online English courses that would be good prep for the PA AP English Language and AP English Lit courses? 

I was looking at Lukeion's Muse on the Loose  Survey of Greek Literature for one son. Anyone have any experience with the Muse on the Loose classes?

What other online, literature-based writing classes have you (or anyone else reading) found to be truly exceptional?    I'd rather avoid classes that spend time on grammar. Between Latin and Greek study and a foundation with Rod & Staff 3-7, my sons have grammar under control.

Thanks for any suggestions.

yvonne

This is probably not exactly what you are looking for, but I'll toss it out here anyway because my understanding is that AP English classes include much writing.

Ds took HS Composition through Laurel Tree Tutorials in 10th grade.  You may read my review here.  In the past, Rebekah has also offered literature classes, but I think she has cut back on those this year due to a baby.  Anyway, you may want to check it out.

Hi, Sue, 

Actually, Laurel Tree is on my list, thanks to the recommendation you made for it a while ago. (We pm'd a little about it back then.)

My boys did the VPSA Comp I class last year in 7th. It was a useful class. Now, though, instead of a pure composition class that focuses on writing in different genres about random topics, I really want a focused, combined lit/writing class. Literature gives students something to really think about, analyze, and come to some conclusion/thesis which they can then present in writing, in a coherent way, with textual references to support their argument. 

I have emailed to find out if Rebekah will be offering a lit-based writing class this coming year.  If she is, that might be a good option.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm just listening in. I need to outsource English for dd. She was a natural writer and a great reader at younger ages, but her writing hasn't matured as much as I would have hoped. She did fine with EIL this year, but to get her writing to the next level is going to take someone besides me teaching it. 

I'm seriously considering Sue's recommendation of Laurel Tree, but I too would prefer there was some lit included so I don't have to add that. 

I'm also considering Blue Tent's Honors English. 

Debbie, 

We're in the same boat!  Here are the lit-based/history-based writing classes on my radar so far that look like solid options. Please post if you know of any others!

Blue Tent: Honors English 2

Alexandria Tutorials: Writing the Essay for my rising 9th graders (and the Intermediate English class for my rising 7th grader)

Wilson Hill Academy: Fundamentals of Expository Writing  (waiting for more info on this, including the reading list)

Literary Analysis and Argumentation looks good, but my boys haven't done the prereq. year of formal logic

Laurel Tree:  High School Composition  (if the writing is based on literature, or history, or research, or something other than whatever the student happens to pull out of his head)  or Literature, if they offer it next year and if it includes writing about the literature, not just reading it.

Aletheia Tutorials: Great Books Foundations, if it's offered in 2014-15.

Captive Thought Tutorials: American Lit (if it includes writing essays & teacher feedback)

(also CTT's Intro to Lit. class for my 7th grader, if it includes writing)

Bandusia Tutorials: American Lit for my 9th graders (Also the BT Expository Writing class for my 7th grader.) 
ETA:  Elena Valle, the Bandusia Tutorials teacher, is expecting her second child and won't be offering group classes in 2014-15. She may do tutoring, however.

Coram Deo Tutorials: Lost Tools of Writing (A LToW class would be my first choice. I think it gives a student fantastic thinking tools for approaching any essay!)

Lukeion: Muse on the Loose: Survey of Greek Literature 

ETA: Potter's School English 3: Literature Survey

Debbie, 

We're in the same boat!  Here are the lit-based/history-based writing classes on my radar so far that look like solid options. Please post if you know of any others!

Blue Tent: Honors English 2

Alexandria Tutorials: Writing the Essay for my rising 9th graders (and the Intermediate English class for my rising 7th grader)

Wilson Hill Academy: Fundamentals of Expository Writing  (waiting for more info on this, including the reading list)

Literary Analysis and Argumentation looks good, but my boys haven't done the prereq. year of formal logic

Laurel Tree:  High School Composition  (if the writing is based on literature, or history, or research, or something other than whatever the student happens to pull out of his head)  or Literature, if they offer it next year and if it includes writing about the literature, not just reading it

Aletheia Tutorials: Great Books Foundations, if it's offered in 2014-15.

Captive Thought Tutorials: American Lit (if it includes writing essays & teacher feedback)

(also CTT's Intro to Lit. class for my 7th grader, if it includes writing)

Bandusia Tutorials: American Lit for my 9th graders (Also the BT Expository Writing class for my 7th grader.)

Coram Deo Tutorials: Lost Tools of Writing (A LToW class would be my first choice. I think it gives a student fantastic thinking tools for approaching any essay!)

Lukeion: Muse on the Loose: Survey of Greek Literature 

You might also consider Classical Learning Resource Center

http://www.clrchomeschool.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=105

Hello!

I just heard back from Lauren Bailes the instructor.  She is responding to the following excerpt from my email

"The prerequisites for the course are none; but the course listing page explains that "*Pre-AP indicates a course you take the year before taking an AP course in that subject area."

Hi, Dina.

Thank you for contacting me. I have certainly had freshmen take this class and be very successful. I think one of the strengths of this class is that we work step by step through six genres of writing so students have instruction and practice for each step along the way. Additionally, each genre is designed to build on the previous, so students extend their own expertise as the course progresses. I am attaching my syllabus so that you can see the course outline. Please let me know if you have further questions!

Best,
Lauren 

Pre AP Language

2013-2014 Syllabus

Subject to revisions based on the needs and pace of the class

Lauren Bailes

email: lpbailes@gmail.com

phone: 717-343-2503

1. Introduction
  • Students will produce, revise, and publish several analytical essays covering a range of topics and events

• Students will practice each stage of the research-writing process and produce several research papers

• Students will learn to recognize, use, and critique common structures of argument and rhetoric

• Students will analyze how common rhetorical structures vary from traditional media to new media

• Students will collaborate in self-determined groups for the purposes of peer revision, class discussion, and critical interpretation

II.  Topics this class will examine include:

1. Conventions of Standard English (CSE)

2. Genres of academic and analytical writing

3. Revision:

• Organization

• Evaluating evidence

• Awareness of audience/tone/purpose

• Level of detail

• Coherence between sentence and paragraph

• Main idea/thesis statement/topic sentence

• Rhetorical effects and emphasis

• Use of language

• Evaluation of author's authority and appeal

• Evaluation of reasoning

• Consistency of POV

• Transitions

• Sentence level errors

4. Source materials:

• Use of reference materials

• Evaluation of sources

• Integration of resource material

• Documentation of sources (including but not limited to MLA, APA, and Chicago)

5. Rhetorical analysis:

• Appeals

• Tone

• Organizational structure

• Rhetorical effects

• Use of language

• Evaluation of evidence

III. Though participation in this course a student will learn:

• To prepares students to enter an AP Language Preparatory class and, ultimately, to be successful on the AP Language Exam

• To prepare students to take and pass the College Composition CLEP test at the end of this year

• To help students develop writing processes that are both efficient and effective

• To help students recognize rhetorical, structural, and linguistic choices that writers make

• and aid students in making their own choices about nonfiction writing

• To develop studentsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ collaborative skills and critical eyes, especially in regards to the varying opinions of the texts they encounter and of their fellow students

1. Grading Policy

Grading percentage weights:

Major Assessments (Tests, Papers, and Projects)                                                                                            50%

Supporting Assessments (Quizzes and Minor Responses)                                                                           25%

Homework & Participation (Substantive, weekly peer comments & timely homework)            25%     

A studentĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s final grade in this course will be determined using the following grading scale:

A    91-100

B    81-90

C    71-80

D    61-70

F    below 60

Grades are calculated using total points.

Students will be asked to demonstrate proficiency through written assignments, quizzes and tests.

QUIZZES are assessments to demonstrate knowledge and/or mastery of prior classroom instruction.  They will include but are not limited to:

Reading Quizzes:  There will be unannounced quizzes for reading assignments for content knowledge and also recognition of rhetorical devices the author used (as discussed in class).

Grammar/usage Quizzes: Throughout the year, students will need to master a variety of CSE (Conventions of Standard English, please see the CLEP Study Guide for more specific topics). We will address these in class and they will be quizzed weekly.

Tests/Papers/Projects:  There are formal assessments at the end of each unit.  These tests may include but are not limited to: vocabulary, short answers, multiple choice and essay questions.  Published papers and quarterly projects may substitute for tests but are weighted equally.

Late work policy: Late work will be accepted (at the discretion of the instructor) for up to two weeks after deadline. Late work will receive a grade but will not receive feedback.

1. Required Readings:

• Write for College, ISBN: 0669444022

• Other course readings will be provided by the instructor

VI. Tentative Course Schedule

We will try to adhere to this schedule as much as possible but please be aware some changes will probably take place during the course of the school year. Each student is responsible to have read all readings and completed all assignments by the date they are listed.  I reserve the right to make adjustments to this syllabus in order to adjust to the needs of the course and students.  (Please note that specific grammar/usage techniques will be included in weekly teaching after I have assessed students understanding and can better tailor the materials to their existing skills.)

Units will be either three or six weeks.  At the end of each unit, students will submit a published piece of writing and, four times throughout the year, students will work collaboratively on major projects that incorporate what they've learned thus far and apply it in a non-written format. 

Weekly assignments will include the follow (unless otherwise specified):

• Assigned reading in Write for College

• 2-3 hours of collecting, drafting, or revising

• 2 substantive peer comments

• Preparation for quarterly project

• Participation in weekly class meeting

•  

Unit

Week #

Week of

Date of Class

(Friday)

Topics

August 26

August 30

Syllabus distributed

Login and directions for online tools distributed

Please familiarize yourself with the online tools for the class

Troubleshoot and call customer service as necessary before September 6

1: Personal Writing

September 2

September 6

Introductions and course overview

Expectations for weekly and quarterly work

Identify differences between narrative and expository (non-narrative) writing

Identify features of personal essay

Start collecting ideas for personal essay

September 9

September 13

Explain rubric

Choose focus idea

Examine various thesis statements and develop thesis statements

Subordinate ideas as 'because' statements

Angled stories as evidence

Identify and include compelling evidence

September 16

September 20

Strategic connections and transition words

Paragraph-level revisions

Publishing parameters

September 23

September 27

Personal essay due

Examine prompts for college application essays, note similarities

Collect ideas by focusing on important lessons, moments of confusion, moments of learning about oneself, or indelible 'shaping' moments

Sentence starters as ways to elaborate on ideas

September 30

October 4

Streamline and select evidence by angling stories and highlighting:

1.  emotional impact

2.  complex inner thinking

1. tension in specific moments

Composing moments of contrasting emotion:

1.  give 2 moments of contrasting

2.  zoom in on central part

3.  give reader most crucial information quickly

4.  let reader make assumptions before writer reveals more info to change readers' assumptions

October 7

October 11

Revise anecdotes by using different craft techniques:

1.  dialogue to show tension between characters' traits and beliefs

2.  inner dialogue to show tension (especially when it conflicts with characters' actual words)

Word Choice Ă¢â‚¬â€œ don't thesaurus-ize but pay attention to connotation and denotation

CSA: comma, colon, and semi-colon

Try ten leads

Closing paragraph Ă¢â‚¬â€œ the 'zinger'

October 14

October 18

College application essay due

Memoir Media Project Presentations

2: Synthesis Writing

October 21

October 25

Compare, contrast, and classify

Various organization structures

Select items, stories, or ideas to analyze and begin drafting in one of those structures 

Gather evidence by retelling, summarizing, or devising lists

October 29

November 1

Draft introductory paragraph:

1.  Include a brief summary of both texts by saying "Text A is says thatĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ while text B suggests Ă¢â‚¬Â¦"

2.  Talk about importance of both topics in introductions: "Both of these items/stories/ideas are important becauseĂ¢â‚¬Â¦"

November 4

November 8

Craft concluding paragraph:

1.  Sum up what was said before and add inspirational lines

2.  comment on a social issue connected to the topic, writer's life, or reader's life

3.  explore differences between two items/stories/ideas (and significance/relevance of those differences)

3: Critical Lens Writing

November 11

November 15

Synthesis essay due

Introduce Critical Lens essay and assessment criteria

Text options

Going to rich ground for literary analysis:

1.  how themes are the same/not the same

2.  characters' lessons or changes are the same/not the same

3.  other poems, text, and stories that connect to the theme

Introduce Battle of the Bands project

November 18

November 22

Build thesis statements (possibly using a template):

1.  These stories are similar inĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and inĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.

2.  Although these two stories are different becauseĂ¢â‚¬Â¦they are also similar becauseĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

3.  These two stories are similar not only becauseĂ¢â‚¬Â¦but also because they both...

Collect ideas by close reading:

1.  pull a line from a text and say why it is so powerful

2.  record a turning point and say why it's powerful/how it fits with the whole story

3.  how would people live differently if they took this story seriously?

4.  what image stays with you?  explain why and how it fits with the whole story

NO CLASS on November 29: Thanksgiving Break (Week 14)

December 2

December 6

Revise introductory paragraph

1. contain significant statement about figurative language in text.
  2. include a tiny summary of the story plus the thesis statement

Revise closing paragraph to contain

1.  summative statement about literary device in text

2.  'hallmark moment'

3.  link to writer's life -- "this story teaches me that I, tooĂ¢â‚¬Â¦"

December 9

December 13

As needed or

WORKSHOP DAY

NO CLASSES on December 20, December 27, or January 3: Winter Recess

4: Test Writing as a Genre

January 6

January 10

Critical Lens essay due

Battle of the Bands presentations

January 13

January 17

Introduce CLEP Type I essay and assessment criteria

Writing essays within a timed format

Quickly gathering evidence closely related to the prompt

January 20

January 24

Introduce CLEP Type I essay and assessment criteria

Writing essays within a timed format

Quickly gathering evidence closely related to the prompt

Introduce Urban Planning Project

January 27

January 31

Managing CLEP short answers

Rhetorical Analysis in multiple choice questions

Practice and peer review

5: Problem & Solution Writing

February 3

February 7

Timed test essay due

February 10

February 14

Introduce Problem-Solution essay and assessment criteria

Determine audience and topic

Explore the purposes of writing nonfiction and respond to the question, "Who would you tell what?"

Collect ideas by asking, "What's the deeper/bigger issue here?" in response to class novel (alternate between particular instances and umbrella issues).

6: Research, Round 1

February 17

February 21

Craft powerful introductions including an example, anecdote, statistic or quote.

Revise introductory paragraphs to state entire message clearly.

Connect parts of letter/essay by using transitional words or phrases or by repeating an important phrase.

Examine and revise tone by including powerful adjectives and verbs.

Febrary 24

February 28

WORKSHOP DAY

6: Research, Round 1

March 3

March 7

Problem-Solution essay due

Student present Community Planning project

NO CLASS on March 14: Spring recess

March 17

March 21

Introduction to research writing and assessment criteria

APA research guidelines

MLA research guidelines (and when to use them)

Appropriate and manageable topics

Introduce Digital Academic Conference Sources: viable and reliable?

Developing a research thesis

Sources and documentation

March 24

March 28

Officially outlining

Envisioning now equals less revision later

Scrupulous structure

7: Research, Round 2

March 31

April 4

Outline due

Moving from aggregating to arguing and analyzing

Mentor text analysis

Identifying and clarifying your position

Tightening topic sentences

Closing sentence of each paragraph refers to thesis

In-text citations, footnotes, and endnotes

April 7

April 11

Research papers due

Extra credit

April 14

April 18

Workshop day Ă¢â‚¬â€œ DIY

April 21

April 25

Students present in Digital Academic Conference

DIY revision due

VII. Academic Integrity

All students are expected to adhere to a code of academic honesty. Cheating or plagiarizing (the use of othersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ words or interpretations without giving credit) will not be tolerated. Proper documentation style will be covered thoroughly in class; therefore, students will know how to avoid this grave offense.  Consequences for an infringement of this type will be determined by the instructor at the time of the offense.

Hope this helps~

Dina, thanks so much for posting that! I've just found out that the local teacher we've used for.the last two years won't be offering any classes next year that will work for us, so I'm trying to decide which way to go and what we can afford.

Yvonne, please do share whether Laurel Tree will be doing lit classes next year.

Dina, thanks so much for posting that! I've just found out that the local teacher we've used for.the last two years won't be offering any classes next year that will work for us, so I'm trying to decide which way to go and what we can afford.

Yvonne, please do share whether Laurel Tree will be doing lit classes next year.

You are welcome Karen!

Good Morning Everyone~

I don't have a Syllabus but have been in touch with Rebekah Randolph of Laurel Tree since last year. We wanted to place DD in a comp class but they were full. I just corresponded with Rebekah last week and she is at a crossroads. She and her husband have one child and are trying for a second. IF they get pregnant BEFORE July she will NOT be teaching any classes. However, if she does not, she will teach a very small number.

Hope that helps~

You are welcome Karen!

Good Morning Everyone~

I don't have a Syllabus but have been in touch with Rebekah Randolph of Laurel Tree since last year. We wanted to place DD in a comp class but they were full. I just corresponded with Rebekah last week and she is at a crossroads. She and her husband have one child and are trying for a second. IF they get pregnant BEFORE July she will NOT be teaching any classes. However, if she does not, she will teach a very small number.

Hope that helps~

Ugh. Thank you so much Dina!

I had decided that Laurel Tree was my first choice. Now I need to decide on a Plan B. I can't risk her deciding later that she won't teach and then not be able to get dd in somewhere else.

Ugh. Thank you so much Dina!

I had decided that Laurel Tree was my first choice. Now I need to decide on a Plan B. I can't risk her deciding later that she won't teach and then not be able to get dd in somewhere else.

You are most welcome!

I am sorting out plan B as well! Sure hope she will be teaching next year as the Laurel Tree High School Comp is exactly what we need. The hunt continues. .  . :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:

You are most welcome!

I am sorting out plan B as well! Sure hope she will be teaching next year as the Laurel Tree High School Comp is exactly what we need. The hunt continues. .  . :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:

I think I'm leaning toward the Pre-AP class you posted. I was thinking I would have her do Laurel Tree next year, then the Pre-AP year after. However, I think it is possible she can step up and do the Pre-AP without the extra prep.

• 4 weeks later...

Lauren Bailes's Pre Ap English is an alright class....would rate it as "Okay."

She didn't really provide feedback on daughter's essays (and when she did they were a few sentences). There was no feedback in between first draft and final draft (which, by the way, are submitted one week right after the other) except for a few tips from other students. Just good writing practice. 

My daughter took the Pre-AP English class. I would rate the class as an Okay class. My daughter didn't really receive feedback on her essays except for a few sentences such as "I don't see connection" or "Connect to main idea".  There was no feedback inbetween first revision of essays and last revision (which by the way are submitted one after the other), with only a couple of her classmates feedback (which were either compliments or one or two tips. Not as beneficial as because they are students and still learning as well). The directions were a little unclear on projects and the slides were a little basic and were review. The quarterly projects were Media Memoir, Battle of the Bands, Community Problem, and Digital media...not much feedback on these either, just a couple of circles on a rubric for presentation. The reading (Write for College) is sometimes optional but it wasn't really emphasized or used at all in the online classes. This class was pretty easy for my daughter so I don't know how it will work for your children. Again, I rate this class as an "Okay" class. It was good writing practice...but a little hard with no feedback to go on. 

@Dina in Oklahoma: 

When my daughter took the class, they basically did just the basics of what is listed in the syllabus. They didn't really dive into any other the topics as it seemed as shown in the syllabus. My daughter said it was very basic and that she just puts a few points on a Powerpoint slide (again, just covering the basics and just repeating what most of the students had already learned). 

Lauren Bailes's Pre Ap English is an alright class....would rate it as "Okay."

She didn't really provide feedback on daughter's essays (and when she did they were a few sentences). There was no feedback in between first draft and final draft (which, by the way, are submitted one week right after the other) except for a few tips from other students. Just good writing practice. 

Hm.  This was also our experience with my dd taking a different Aim class with Lauren Bailes, but it was for middle-schoolers, so I didn't post before in case it was different for the Pre-AP class.

But since that assessment could almost be verbatim what I'd say about dd's class, I'll weigh in.  I also thought the class was "okay" - she did give feedback on the final draft, but nothing before that from the teacher.  There was "peer review" which was mostly "good job" or "I like your topic".  I actually complained and pointed out that I thought all the learning was in the process, and the students needed guidance and input from the teacher, not just other kids who know as little as they do.  Once the paper is done, I could barely get dd to look at it, or the feedback with it. After I complained, she did give a sentence of feedback about the thesis once. :glare:   But for the middle school class there was no rough draft stage at all (is that different for the Pre-AP?).  For her middle school class, there was one week to brainstorm, one week to organize (as in an outline), then just one week to write the whole paper including a rough draft and all the revisions (all without feedback) was stressful.   The class would have been greatly improved with an extra week added to the cycle for a rough draft - with teacher feedback.

Thank you so much for weighing in on the AIM class, firsttimehomeschooler and Matroyshka.

It has been so hard to find a true, college-prep level writing class where the instructor is fully engaged, gives feedback, does not attempt to hide behind "peer feedback," and is willing to really look at and critique a rough and then a final draft. You've saved me a lost year of writing instruction, or at least a not very productive year. Thank you!

I think I've found a true writing class at Blue Tent. TPS's English 3 looks solid, and Wilson Hill's writing instructor seems to be heading that way, too.

I recently updated my review on the Pre-AP English class.

@Matryoshka: 

My daughter experienced the same thing that your child had. 

I sent her an email about the issue but instead she replied about how on some essays my daughter turned in late, and never answered my question..... :\ 

By the way, in her reply to your email...did she mention about how your child had to turn in all essays within two weeks to get feedback? My daughter just received a "Late." even if she turned in her assignments a day later.....

In answer to your question, she mainly just had a first draft and a final draft, or all in one. Occasionally there was a "thesis, outline, intro, and conclusion paragraph" assignment but that seemed like a bit much without input. Right after that was the essay, then moved on to a different array of topics. Very similar to your child's middle school class, unfortunately :(

---------------------------------------------

Elena Valle at Bandusia Tutorials is an excellent teacher. My daughter took her for asynchronous lessons in Expository Writing. She's engaging, gives PARAGRAPHS of extensive revisions, and is a very sweet and nice person. However she is expecting her second child so she is putting her online classes on hold. I highly recommend her! She is a very sweet lady. 

Will have to check out Blue Tent! :)

Guest sully91

I'm considering outsourcing an English class this year (first time.) I've been looking into several different courses and came across AIM Academy.  I've seen a few reponses to the Lauren Bailes classes, but I noticed AIM offers another middle school course and also a creative writing course that serves as a full year credit. The course descriptions seem pretty comprehensive to me, but I wouldn't mind some second opinions.

For those of you who have had students take the PA AP English class, what writing did your students do prior to the PA classes?  Do you have any suggestions for online English courses that would be good prep for the PA AP English Language and AP English Lit courses?

Because my oldest wanted to choose the literature books he read, I never had him take a formal English class prior to enrolling him this year in PA Homeschoolers AP English Language & Composition.  I used Write at Home every year because I did not want to evaluate his writing.  With Write at Home, each paper goes through multiple revisions with very detailed, constructive feedback.

I am using the same approach with my two younger kids (my 9th grader is taking an additional writing class because he likes to write) and am confident that they will also be more than prepared for AP English level classes in junior and senior year.

My sophomore son hasn't taken the class, but has been accepted for next year into AP English Composition with AP homeschoolers.  They do look at a sample of their work.  

This will be his first outside writing course and first online course.  He has done Writing With Skill 2 and will complete 3 this year(I hope!).  He has done some of Lost Tools of Writing.  We have done some imitation work.  He has written a few essays about literature. He has read difficult works.  I don't know how it will go, and I know the writing at first will take him a long time, but I think he will be okay.  Time will tell:).  

Which PA Homeschoolers AP English class are your children taking? Maya Inspektor is VERY GOOD. :)

From Ms. Inspektor's reply to our email, to her examples of daily homework, it seems like she is a highly credible and dedicated teacher. The only thing I would be cautious about is the lack of live online class, instead there are daily "Morning" / homework messages, but you can email her at any time. 

@sully91: 

Matryoshka earlier posted that her child had taken a middle school AIM Academy (but with Lauren Bailes). Which teacher are you looking at? The only one I have seen is the AP English by Lilli Serbicki ....

After the whole unproductive year with Ms. Bailes I am not trusting Debra Bell's judgment :( , but it is your opinion on which you choose. I am only thinking of signing up for Lili Serbicki's class, but afraid it will be another Ms. Bailes scenario as both have high credentials....

@snowbeltmom: 

I see your two sons are taking the eIMACS Computer Science I & II. My daughter is taking Computer Science I and loves it! :) 
How is the II from the I? Is it considerably harder? Challenging?

Sorry for the very many posts! 

Ms. Inspektor recommended me to have my daughter take a literature course before her AP English course. I have been looking for several english "tutorial" courses (such as Laurel Tree Tutorials, Bandusia Tutorials, Alexandria Tutorials, etc.,)

Elena Valle at Bandusia Tutorials is expecting her second child so her classes are on hold

Rebekah Randolph at Laurel Tree is trying for her second child, so her classes are also on hold

Ms. Skiles at Captive Thought Tutorials her class was filled up

Matthew Turnbull at Alexandria Tutorials seems to be good, has anyone taken his "Great Books I" literature course?

Are there any other "tutorial like" courses I should know about?

My son will be in Mrs. Walker's class.  Inspektor gets rave reviews and that was tempting, but they all have good reviews and so my son picked based on the books he wanted to read.  

I am so excited to have someone else commenting on his work and planning the course!  Yeah!  

I think the strong literature background is important, though I'm guessing that a strong reading list would prepare them nearly as well as a course with analysis.

Guest sully91

@firsttimehomeschooler

I was looking at the middle school classes taught by Emily Mulvihill at AIM.  I haven't seen her mentioned on here anywhere but what I can see of her classes looks pretty robust.  I like the fact that the creative writing class fulfills the requirement for a year long English credit.  And it seems like both the classes incorporate literature, composition, and language arts components.  I don't have much experience with these outsourced classes and am just wondering if that looks comparable to what others have seen before I go ahead.

@snowbeltmom: 

I see your two sons are taking the eIMACS Computer Science I & II. My daughter is taking Computer Science I and loves it! :) 

How is the II from the I? Is it considerably harder? Challenging?

My son is about 1/2 way through the Computer Science II.  So far, he does not think the level of difficulty is any different than Computer Science I.  He said the concepts just build on what he has already learned. 

Which PA Homeschoolers AP English class are your children taking? Maya Inspektor is VERY GOOD. :)

From Ms. Inspektor's reply to our email, to her examples of daily homework, it seems like she is a highly credible and dedicated teacher. The only thing I would be cautious about is the lack of live online class, instead there are daily "Morning" / homework messages, but you can email her at any time. 

Has your child actually taken the class? I am not sure that the lack of a live online class is anything to be cautious about. The Morning Messages are the lesson and the kids often respond to them. The Morning Messages are well-written and to the point. They can be quite detailed, but the student's time is never wasted as my son's is sometimes in his B & M classes while students and teachers get caught up on the football games. Or in the online component at Connections Academy where students can write all kinds of interchanges while the teacher is "talking."

The students usually interact with each other on a daily basis and Mrs. Inspektor offers detailed and frequent feedback. Honestly, my son has more interaction with Mrs. Inspektor than he does at the high school. He actually doesn't need a ton of interaction because the quality of the instruction is that good.

swimmermom3----

I have no doubt that Ms. Inspektor is a great teacher. 

I was just adding in that factor so that the parent I was responding to would know about the none online classes,, because it may factor in their decision. 

But her daily Morning Messages are quite good  My daughter took Ms. Valle's asynchronous Expository Writing and it was highly beneficial, with no online classes. 

Lauren Bailes is Debra Bell's daughter. 

I do not believe this is correct. Her daughters are Kayte and Kristen (according to her books). Lauren may be her daughter-in-law, but she is not her daughter. Collette Bailes is also listed as an AIM instructor. Maybe she is Lauren's mother?

I do not believe this is correct. Her daughters are Kayte and Kristen (according to her books). Lauren may be her daughter-in-law, but she is not her daughter. Collette Bailes is also listed as an AIM instructor. Maybe she is Lauren's mother?

I don't know if this is correct, but somewhere along the way I thought I was told the two Bailes were sisters???

Oops, you're probably right.  In an email I could've sworn she referred to someone there as her mother; I must've assumed she meant Debra Bell and Bailes was her married name...

• 1 month later...
Guest hisgrace4me

Last year, my daughter, who was in 9th grade at the time, took the class, Introduction to Literature with Lauren Bailes, and this year she took the Literature Analysis class with Collette Bailes. They were both very positive experiences. I have been homeschooling for 16 years and been exposed to many curriculum and various online classes and so I can say honestly that both these classes were very helpful and enjoyable for my daughter. She started last year with Lauren's class and learned how to think about what she was reading rather than just summarize. Her assignments were challenging but not burdensome. In both classes, if my daughter was unclear or uncertain about what to do, both Lauren and Collette were gracious and responded quickly to her email questions. There was an atmosphere of excellence and grace. I kept involved and looked at her assignments, and I would say that they would definitely prepare a student for college level classes. I would highly recommend both of these classes.