Menu

Turned off router - eliminated headaches

Indian summer

Anyone else find their migraines eliminated by keeping things like Internet router use to a minimum? In January, I had severe migraines, as many as 10 in two weeks until I got the idea to turn off the Internet router (except for a few minutes a day, as needed.) I also turned off the portable phones and the pains in my head are gone and I'm feeling more rested upon waking and I'm waking 2-3 hours earlier.

I've noticed in recent years that my migraines were more frequent in winter - I'm indoors most of the time but this year, they got even more frequent just after I bought a Roku. Then a doctor friend posted an article on Facebook about the health hazards of cordless phone use - not just while you're using them, but while they are on in your home and this all got me thinking about experimenting with turning these things off. It seems to be working well so far.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone else is experiencing the same issue and hasn't made the connection yet. Not that is will be everyone solution, but worth a try.

I'd suspect a placebo effect myself. In the absence of any evidence that wireless signals can cause headaches, that's the most likely thing.

What would be interesting is if you weren't aware when the router and other wireless devices on, someone else in the house would turn them on our off without your knowledge, and then you would record the times of your headaches to see if there's a pattern that corresponds with the wireless use. Might be interesting to try with the kids.

I'd suspect a placebo effect myself. In the absence of any evidence that wireless signals can cause headaches, that's the most likely thing.

What would be interesting is if you weren't aware when the router and other wireless devices on, someone else in the house would turn them on our off without your knowledge, and then you recorded the times of your headaches to see if there's a pattern that corresponds with the wireless use. Might be interesting to try with the kids.

This

What would be interesting is if you weren't aware when the router and other wireless devices on, someone else in the house would turn them on our off without your knowledge, and then you would record the times of your headaches to see if there's a pattern that corresponds with the wireless use. Might be interesting to try with the kids.

We've been experimenting with this and my body knows when it's on. But, you may be right. Either way, I'm just thrilled to be migraine free.

Because the other issue is whether or not there are other routers on in your neighborhood and in the stores you shop at, etc.

I agree with the issue of placebo effect whoch does not mean that there is not a benefit to placebo. The placebo effect can certainly be positive (much like the one that patients receive from the care provider/appointment ritual).

The question becomes, what happens when you send someone else to turn off the router, but they do not. If they tell you they have, and you have no way of knowing for sure whether or not they did, do you experience the same results. Also, are the confounding factors nvolved. What else might also occur on the days when you shut the router off? Do you look at screens less? Are you more active? Do you drink more water because you are less distracted? Etc...

imo, if headaches are an issue, then some sort of journal where you can keep track of lifestyle factors would be far more beneficial than just saying it's the router if only because it's a more complete picture.

The question becomes, what happens when you send someone else to turn off the router, but they do not. If they tell you they have, and you have no way of knowing for sure whether or not they did, do you experience the same results.

In order to do a clean double blind study, the person sent to switch off the router should not know whether he switches it on or off, because he will otherwise unconsciously give away information through body language.

The only way to do this cleanly is to write a computer program that randomizes the on-off and to program the switching to be automatic and at random and record the times (or to permanently station a person by the router in a non frequented room who is to do the switching at random but won't appear in another room to interact with the family.)

Just like in a medication study, the doctor who gives the med or placebo should not know which the patient receives, since it has been shown that the doctor's knowledge alone can cause a payer of placebo effect.

OK - another possibility.  Some routers, wireless ones especially, can give off a very very high-pitched whine.  High enough that I can't hear it, but that it can be measured.  It is not a desirable thing as it usually indicates something is going to fail in the electronics - at least that has been my experience.   I can easily believe that if you were sensitive to those types of sounds that it could cause a migraine.  Google "router noises" and see if anything sounds familiar.

Not necessarily a placebo - it might be a sign you are going to need a new router.

I believe in dirty electricity / stray voltage / electropollution  in both wireless (cell towers/wifi/smartmeters) and in ground/devices forms. I have personal experience with cattle that made me a believer. Two different barns, same cows, same manager. MAJOR health differences. We've had people to test for it. The animals are evidence to what we are ignorantly exposing ourselves. Could write a book on it. It's not crazy, you're not crazy - however the vast majority of people will think you are if you say something. There is not much research out there. Electro-sensitivity is more recognized in Europe than in America I believe. Migraines, leaky-gut disorders (increased allergies, rashes), inflammation, insomnia, neuro-muscular disorders, autism, infertility, immune problems, cancer, vague symptoms that are usually blamed on other or idiopathic causes. Calcium efflux is caused by exposure to wireless signals or electromagnetic fields (kind-of like static - the hum from large powerlines or transformers but you can't hear it in smaller lines, like what's in your house.) I can't explain well it but here are a couple websites. It causes cells to be more permeable, allowing in toxins. That's the cause of the allergies, cancer, autism etc...  I believe I read that Switzerland does not allow WIFI in schools. Of course, you have to be careful what you read as well.

www.oscillatorium.com

www.electricalpollution.com

We moved to get away from exposing our family to a large close tower. Sold the farm and moved. Yes people think we're crazy. Sometimes I think I'm crazy. But I saw it in the cows. It was so sad. We limit our WIFI. You can get a plug in router. We even got a corded phone because my husband would get headaches using it. Plus, it's always sending out signals  even if you aren't using it. Also a good idea to move your clock radio away from your head at night (6 feet or more.) Glad you found out it worked for you. Someday I believe the world will realize what garbage we are exposing ourselves to. I believe it's a major cause to autism. Everyone's so concerned with healthy food (which is good) but then laugh when you say the electrical pollution is bad. It is a toxin.

In order to do a clean double blind study, the person sent to switch off the router should not know whether he switches it on or off, because he will otherwise unconsciously give away information through body language.

The only way to do this cleanly is to write a computer program that randomizes the on-off and to program the switching to be automatic and at random and record the times (or to permanently station a person by the router in a non frequented room who is to do the switching at random but won't appear in another room to interact with the family.)

Just like in a medication study, the doctor who gives the med or placebo should not know which the patient receives, since it has been shown that the doctor's knowledge alone can cause a payer of placebo effect.

True, I was thinking more low tech - something that would seem more doable for your end user like me who has zero programming ability.  Then also, if the question is whether or not the router is causing the headaches through "dirty electricity" then you'd also have to control for other sources like your neighbor's router, cell signals, above ground power lines, etc, etc.  Even if I shut off my router, my neighbor has a network as does about 10 other people in my neighborhood.  When you shop at Target they have WiFi and so does Home Depot, Half Price Books, coffee shops, etc, etc.  So I'd guess that in order to eliminate all potential influences the OP would have to sit in one of those cages like the one they had on Myth Busters to test out the whole radio reception in teeth myth.

And about placebo, you're right, it's also why babies/young children can experience the placebo effect with things like homeopathy.

My gut is still that there might be other factors at play rather than the router like screen glare or hydration.  I would hazard a guess that when computer/electronic devices are not connected to the internet that the OP is probably using them less.  Still, unlike homeopathy, shutting off the router doesn't cost anything so if it floats her boat, eh.

I'm so glad you're having fewer migraines.

I guess we inadvertently tested this a few years with my middle son when we lived in a very low-tech part of the world.  We didn't have a router or a cordless phone or much of anything that plugged in at all (nor did any of our neighbors), but it didn't make a difference in the frequency of his migraines.

I believe in dirty electricity / stray voltage / electropollution in both wireless (cell towers/wifi/smartmeters) and in ground/devices forms. I have personal experience with cattle that made me a believer. Two different barns, same cows, same manager. MAJOR health differences. We've had people to test for it. The animals are evidence to what we are ignorantly exposing ourselves. Could write a book on it. It's not crazy, you're not crazy - however the vast majority of people will think you are if you say something. There is not much research out there. Electro-sensitivity is more recognized in Europe than in America I believe. Migraines, leaky-gut disorders (increased allergies, rashes), inflammation, insomnia, neuro-muscular disorders, autism, infertility, immune problems, cancer, vague symptoms that are usually blamed on other or idiopathic causes. Calcium efflux is caused by exposure to wireless signals or electromagnetic fields (kind-of like static - the hum from large powerlines or transformers but you can't hear it in smaller lines, like what's in your house.) I can't explain well it but here are a couple websites. It causes cells to be more permeable, allowing in toxins. That's the cause of the allergies, cancer, autism etc... I believe I read that Switzerland does not allow WIFI in schools. Of course, you have to be careful what you read as well.

www.oscillatorium.com

www.electricalpollution.com

We moved to get away from exposing our family to a large close tower. Sold the farm and moved. Yes people think we're crazy. Sometimes I think I'm crazy. But I saw it in the cows. It was so sad. We limit our WIFI. You can get a plug in router. We even got a corded phone because my husband would get headaches using it. Plus, it's always sending out signals even if you aren't using it. Also a good idea to move your clock radio away from your head at night (6 feet or more.) Glad you found out it worked for you. Someday I believe the world will realize what garbage we are exposing ourselves to. I believe it's a major cause to autism. Everyone's so concerned with healthy food (which is good) but then laugh when you say the electrical pollution is bad. It is a toxin.

That high pitched sound. I hear it. All. The. Time. I love power outages! I think turning off the routers and cordless phones are only part of the solution, but I think those are the things that 'saturate' me, like the proverbial camel's straw. I just need a break from them. Thankfully, I have no close neighbors so I don't have to worry about their routers, etc.

I was diagnosed with environmental illness several years ago, I'm just more sensitive than most, I guess. I have a lot of other migraine triggers, but I can usually tell which kind of pain is due to which cause. dehydration migraines feel different to me than, say the ones I get from certain light bulbs, or printers, or weather systems or Scotopic sensitivity... I have a lot of triggers, unfortunately.

Thanks for the info.

Yikes. I hope some of the info here helps.

I want to make it clear that when I mentioned the placebo effect I weant trying to be dismissive. If it's the placebo effect then I think you're fortunate. I'm actually very susceptible to it myself and have had some pretty powerful pain relief because of that.

I think the real danger in not recognizing placebos is when people mistakes the temporary suppression of symptoms for a cure. Doesn't sound like that's the case for you so please make what use of any possible placebo you can.

That high pitched sound. I hear it. All. The. Time. I love power outages! I think turning off the routers and cordless phones are only part of the solution, but I think those are the things that 'saturate' me, like the proverbial camel's straw. I just need a break from them. Thankfully, I have no close neighbors so I don't have to worry about their routers, etc.

I was diagnosed with environmental illness several years ago, I'm just more sensitive than most, I guess. I have a lot of other migraine triggers, but I can usually tell which kind of pain is due to which cause. dehydration migraines feel different to me than, say the ones I get from certain light bulbs, or printers, or weather systems or Scotopic sensitivity... I have a lot of triggers, unfortunately.

Thanks for the info.

My ears started ringing about a year and a half after we moved near a tower. It's not like a ringing like after being around something loud. I don't really hear it during the day, only when it's really quiet, like lying in bed. It's a deep-in-the-head ring. I read somewhere on the oscillatorium website that it is due to damage to your nerve hairs from calcium moving out. I didn't find the article because that website has an overwhelming amount of information! If you go to the physiology link on the left side then click on calcium efflux some articles and studies will come up. Those are interesting. We just recently moved so I'm curious to see if the ringing goes away. It takes time to heal. I use to get a butterfly like rash on my face, and I finally figured out it is aggravated by wifi, too much computer use, cordless and cell phones as well as sugar. You'll just have to keep aware of what bothers you and avoid them. Fluorescent light bulbs are bad. I wouldn't sleep near meters (like if one is on the other side of your wall or an electrical box in the basement.) We live in the country so we aren't exposed to other neighbors but many many people are and sometimes moving to a more secluded area is the only way to help. WIFI is everywhere. Big powerlines too. I think people don't want to admit that it could be a problem because changing it would mean moving or some difficult life style changes. Yeah, a corded phone stinks, but ya know what? I don't talk as much on the phone anymore. It's actually kinda nice. I still have a cell phone. But I don't carry it on me. I can get up and walk to the counter to check it. 

I'm not sure I understand the placebo effect others are talking about. I do know that it's not like a switch-on switch-off type sensitivity. It is a cumulative effect but over time you will get more sensitive more easily if you don't limit your exposure the best you can. About 3 percent of people are extremely sensitive and can instantly tell what bothers them (like you) and there are many that are mildly or moderately sensitive yet are unaware because of vague symptoms.

I like to compare this to light radiation - xrays and the like. We can see or hear or feel that, yet it does damage internally. Why would sound or electrical radiation be any different? That's just my own thought though.

I could blab on forever about this... Thanks for the opportunity to let others know that this does exist.

(PS - I may not be able to get on the internet for a few days so I may not respond/check back right away.)

The roku 3 has a wifi remote and creates it's own wifi hotspot, even if you use a different remote.  You can turn on your device (iPad, whatever) and check to see.  That's how dd found out about the roku creating the hotspot.  You can't turn it off, and I was so upset that I had to return ours.  We LOVED the roku.  It's super fast and has a great interface.  I react to wifi, and I don't have to know it's there, lol.  I didn't with the roku.  I just started acting really oddly.  Yes, I had MCS years ago.  Now that's a lot better, thanks to a lot of work on my health.  You mentioned ringing in the ears, and that's tinnitus.  I've seen various things mentioned (calcium levels, candida, pick your cause) but I don't really have a great explanation.  

Yes, I react to power lines, cell towers, radio towers, wifi, the emf emitted by an optical mouse, you name it.  I used to be so sick, I could go through the house and tell you where the emf was higher and where it was lower.  That was awful to be that sick.  The radiation sensitivity hasn't gotten better, even though my overall health is better.  It gets somewhat better as I work on my liver, but that's because my headaches seem to be from my liver.  I'm not being clear.  If you're into TCM (traditional chinese medicine) you'll have spots with pain and they'll correspond to organs.  When I get exposed to large amounts, my headaches are on the top of my head (liver).  So for me, anything I do to support my liver, like eating organically, and drinking cranberry pomegranate juice, helps.

An OT who does sensory told me my symptoms of reaction to the towers are actually an auditory sensitivity.  I've thought for some time that some form of listening therapy ought to help, but I haven't pursued it.  Guess that will get done when my kids are totally taken care of, ugh.  

You can write me privately if you want to gab more.  The stats I read were 10% of MCSers develop emf and other hypersensitivities.  It's just a sliver of the population that deals with this.  I have more things I do that help.  There are some companies that cater to us, some products, ways to ground yourself when you travel, that kind of thing.  I get into unfortunate pickles where I need to travel and be in things that I wouldn't normally choose.  There are ways to help.  I used to have headaches for MONTHS at a time, and now I rarely have one.  Same body, better precautions.

Btw, how is your thyroid?  My exposure to high EMF was what crashed my thyroid.  Now it's better, but when I get exposed to stuff I still go cold.  Your liver converts the T4 to T3 (the more active form).

Anyways, you're not crazy.  You're welcome to write me.  :) 

My router is ok, but I am super sensitive to power lines. We have a set that runs through an adjacent neighborhood. We went for a walk on a new (to us) trail and it led through the lines- I was so miserable after 20 minutes! I get a headache just driving below them, I don't know why I thought a walk would be ok. It's like a vise on my head. I'd like to think it is all in my head, but after years of recognizing it, I don't think so.

My dog doesn't like them either, but I have no idea what that means, as she adores poo and dead things...

My router is ok, but I am super sensitive to power lines. We have a set that runs through an adjacent neighborhood. We went for a walk on a new (to us) trail and it led through the lines- I was so miserable after 20 minutes! I get a headache just driving below them, I don't know why I thought a walk would be ok. It's like a vise on my head. I'd like to think it is all in my head, but after years of recognizing it, I don't think so.

My dog doesn't like them either, but I have no idea what that means, as she adores poo and dead things...

The dog may be able to hear them and not like the sound.  There's sort of a buzzing and crackling to really high tension lines.  As far as for humans, I read an article years ago about emf creating sort of an internal carbon monoxide poisoning because of the stress reaction.  You might be able to find something on that by googling.  Might explain the headaches, turning red in the face, feeling disoriented, etc.  Happily, that means the inverse is true also, that anything you do to get your oxygen back up can help.  At least that's the theory.