Menu

Coding for the young elementary age

jillian

I bought the crystal rainforest. It's an old game, so, not cutting edge. It was for schools in 1992 for ages 7-9. It kind of doubles as a geometry game. There's a lot of messing with degrees of angles to solve the problem. You move your charachter by saying forward 200, right, forward 50, left 130. Then clicking "go". I'm not sure that it's much different than scratch, in that you make one command on one line, another on the next, another on the next, and then write end on the last line. Then click go. It's not open ended like Scratch. It's a video game. You're on a quest.they want a certain thing written on a certain line. It's not months worth of gameplay, or console level graphics. It's about on the level of the old Carmen San Diego game , as far as graphics, and the action is still frame pictures with a voiceover.

I'm not sure I would recommend it because my kid said, "I thought it was going to be fun, but it ended up just being (tedious) work." The terrapin logo company that sells it also sells toy robots that you can program using the same kind of commands.

I wanted a way to teach programming and electronics to open the door for robotics. I bought a subscription to eeme to get electronics supplies and lessons. The hubby's doing the electronics with our kid, and he says they're good educational lessons, definately a step up from snap circuits, and there's a lot of room to grow in it. That's electronics, not programming though. I bring it up because I bought both programs at the same time, with the same goal.

My son's private school teaches Logo as a part of the curriculum. We teach him Scratch at home. He also programs the Lego Mindstorms which is his hobby.

What can you do with logo next? That's what the Crystal rainforest taught. I'll definately change my reccomenddation if it leads to something cool.

We bought Tynker (the online class) as a way to teach my then 6 year old - because she had such a desire to learn, but I had no ability to teach.  She is very verbal/literary - and really enjoyed the comic book/story element.  

There are TONS of free programs - just with my daughter, we decided to do Tynker and I liked it quite a lot - (not affiliated with them in any way)...  After that, she moved on to Scratch. 

I actually wrote a post on my blog awhile back about computer programming for kids with a few different options - not sure if it's okay to link...but anyway...

http://erikafinn.com/easy-computer-programming-for-kids/

What can you do with logo next? That's what the Crystal rainforest taught. I'll definately change my reccomenddation if it leads to something cool.

I am not sure where logo would lead to next. Crystal Rainforest looks cool. What my son does at school is create a sequence of commands to accomplish things - like draw pictures etc. He learns things like navigating, moving an object, placing it in a particular spot (x,y co-ordinates), rotating the objects etc. They do it in small projects and it is very fun for him. For example, they used Logo to create a silkworm's lifecycle diagram last week after they had a science project to hatch the silkworms in the classroom.

I personally like Scratch and then Java as a next step.

Crystal ranforest is cool, just a little tedious. At one point you're in a maze and after you have to backtrack a few times with (forward 50) right (forward 50).. It's just that kids these days are spoiled with all their pbs kids point and click games. My kid thought parts of it were cool, but that he expected them to make it cooler. (Six yr old's review). If it comes up, and you don't mind asking, could you ask the computer teacher what else can be done with logo.

Crystal ranforest is cool, just a little tedious. At one point you're in a maze and after you have to backtrack a few times with (forward 50) right (forward 50).. It's just that kids these days are spoiled with all their pbs kids point and click games. My kid thought parts of it were cool, but that he expected them to make it cooler. (Six yr old's review). If it comes up, and you don't mind asking, could you ask the computer teacher what else can be done with logo.

There are some logo resources at motherboardbooks.com. Logo Adventures is aimed at 3rd grade and higher, and Computer Science Pure and Simple more at middle school. There's also a series aimed at high school and college students which is available for free online -- http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/v1-toc2.html