Menu

s/o Ticonderoga question

I didn't want to hijack the pencil sharpener thread, but I have a question about Ticonderoga pencils.  It seems to me like they don't write very dark.  Why is that?  Is there some other lead type available that we should be using?  We always have #2 pencils.  Is there another brand with darker lead?

I didnt read the sharpener thread, but I've read that some of the Ticonderoga pencils are not as good quality as others, depending maybe on where they are made.  Could you just have a bad batch?  Once i bought my first box, the kids refused to use anything else.  And they dont seem light to us.

#3s are harder, but write a finer line, which I think looks way lighter.  Just looking at the Dixon site, I see #2s in an economy plastic pack, and #2s in the little flip-top cardboard box.

Could it be the that the sub-grade products go into those economy packs?

Prob too much of a conspiracy theory, but I've never compared box to bag, so maybe???

#3s are harder, but write a finer line, which I think looks way lighter.  Just looking at the Dixon site, I see #2s in an economy plastic pack, and #2s in the little flip-top cardboard box.

Could it be the that the sub-grade products go into those economy packs?

Prob too much of a conspiracy theory, but I've never compared box to bag, so maybe???

The commercial quality one seems interesting. :)

The blacks are clearly lighter than the yellows (Ticonderoga). I bought a package of each and thought the blacks would be darker because they are supposed to be the better quality.

I tested them side by side and the blacks are much lighter. I don't like them. The boys don't seem to mind as much as I do.

I had to google. B is #1. HB is #2. The leads get hard the higher the numbers go. #2 or HB are pretty much the standard. The numbers are the American system the letters are European/Australian system. Confusing. I have pacer leads that I have bought in 2B in the US though. I know that as I detest HB leads. I have not much looked into pencils though.

We just started using mechanical pencils. Gasp! Luuuuv them and DH wants some for work. Ha! I think the girls are getting him some for Valentines.

See, I don't like mechanical pencils because the leads break sooooo easily.  My DD was required to have them for school (something about students spending too much time at the pencil sharpener) and she went through them QUICK.

See, I don't like mechanical pencils because the leads break sooooo easily. My DD was required to have them for school (something about students spending too much time at the pencil sharpener) and she went through them QUICK.

Another reason why I prefer the 2B leads. They don't break so easily because you don't have to press so hard.

Great discussion! Ticonderogas are the only pencil that is latex free for my DD it is good to learn about the variety in them before we are using pencils regularly.

Interesting.  I never thought of that.  My daughter has a very mild latex allergy, but we've never noticed a problem with pencils before.