Menu

Which books are appropriate next for my Ker?

LisaD

My kindergartener is a fluent reader and has read through the Little Bear books and is currently reading through the Frog and Toad books. He reads Dr. Suess, Curious George, and actually if it has words on it and he sees it he will read it. What should he be reading next? Are there more books like the above mentioned or should we try a chapter book like Magic School Bus (since he likes the videos) or something else?

He has very typical boy interests (bugs, anything science related, outdoors, sports, etc).

TIA

After Frog and Toad style books, we move through some of the books on Sonlight's Grade 2 reader's list (http://www.sonlight.com/readers-2.html) and some of HOD's Emerging Readers (http://www.heartofdakota.com/emerging-reader.php). We also picked non-fiction leveled readers on topics of interest (I'd be easy to find leveled readers on bugs, science, sports, etc), plus easy first chapter books (like the Magic Treehouse books). 

I used Sonlight and Heart of Dakota's Reading lists to find other books that were appropriate and also to keep my child moving forward. The books he is reading are on the grade 1 Sonlight list so I would start there and see if there are extras you like and then move to the grade 2 list.

Our DSs really enjoyed non-fiction "stepped readers" from the library at that stage of their reading. Look for books in the stepped reader series of: Hello Reader, I Can Read, All Aboard Reading, and Step Into Reading.

Books like Little Bear/Frog & Toad:

- Mouse Tales (Lobel)

- Owl At Home (Lobel)

- Commander Toad series (Yolan)

- Fox series (Marshall)

- Three by the Sea (Marshall)

- Four by the Shore (Marshall)

- The Adventures of Snail at School (Sadler)

- Wizard and Wart series (Smith)

- Captain and Matey series (Laurence

- Aunt Eater series (Cushman)

- Nate the Great serise (Sharmat)

- Amelia Bedelia series (Parish)