Menu

(Rant warning) Bad day today with Algrebra...frustration, yelling and crying here :(

and I have a 15 year old boy!  I didn't expect so much emotion from a boy.  But I was the one frustrated & yelling & he was the one crying.  He gets so frustrated over Algebra & I really am at my wits end.  He started Algebra 1 last year!  And is still only 1/2 way through the book.  He takes...agonizingly...long...to...do...the...problems.

It took him 40 minute today to do 4 problems.  It was a test with 30 problems.  He did only 3 problems yesterday.  He was sick this week, better today, but it is like this even when he is not sick!  This is an ongoing thing, I keep being patient, giving him slack, work with him on the problems, etc.  Helping him seems to do some good in the short term, but it's back to being slow the next day.

He seems to get the concepts and understand everything, but he always makes an error on the problems.  The errors are calculation errors or errors on basic stuff he's covered before, but suddenly doesn't remember.  There doesn't seem to be anything in particular he isn't "getting".  Yet he still struggles.  Some days he's really frustrated.  Other days I'll notice he is just sitting there doing nothing.  He says he's thinking.  I say keep the pencil moving & say the problem out loud if you have to.

I don't know how to help him and I am honestly so frustrated by his lack of progress.  He is an extremely smart boy who has always done well in Math, though it is his least preferred subject.  He was never what I would call a math whiz, but he did well in it.  Got mostly A s.

Since he has been about 13, he seems to struggle more with his school work, but especially Algebra.  The struggle is mostly in the doing it.  He's so slow, especially with Math (and Spanish).  I'm happy with his progress in Biology & he is mostly organized with Biology. 

Am I just using the wrong curriculum?  We have limited resources, so I can't just go out and buy different things or even a different thing. 

I feel like such a horrible Mom (and a horrible teacher) for losing my cool and yelling at him and making him cry.  And for not being able to figure our what the problem is in the first place.  I'm usually very encouraging.  And patient, I think...he is very hard on himself so I try to encourage him a lot.

It's so bad, that they only subjects he does is Algebra, Biology and Spanish.  We never get to History or English or any electives because he takes so long to do Algebra.

I really am so frustrated and discouraged that I want to quit.  And I love homeschooling.  I love learning, I love teaching.  I love being with my son.  I have to say High School is a whole different ballgame and I really feel the pressure of it "counting" towards his future as far as getting into college.  When he was little I felt it important for him to learn, but I was relaxed about it and it seemed to come naturally to him.  There was no pressure.

I have looked for Algebra helps and we have a few at home, but none help in the way that I need.  I really need a quick reference, where you can easily look up a topic for a quick explanation of it and for him I need a quick and dirty guide to everything you need to know about algebra.  Something he can look at when he forgets something.  It's very cumbersome going back in the text.

The Kahn videos are helpful to him to supplement our text, but it adds even more time to Math!

I'd like to get him a tutor if I could find someone who was both knowledgeable with Algebra and an experienced teacher who would be able to recognize where the problem is after working with him for a while.  But where do you find such a person, and I can't afford a tutor.  I can't afford anything.

We used Life of Fred in 5 and 6th grade to supplement our Horizons curriculum and he love it.  We did fractions and decimals.  We did not do the prealgebra Life of Fred.  He'd like to try it again, but I'm afraid it is not in-depth enough for a stand alone curriculum, and I do not want to start over again with Algebra after spending over a year with it (and we are still not done)!  Even when we did the Life of Fred curriculum before he would have to do the bridge several times before getting the specified number right.  I think it was 8.  But he was always able to figure it out eventually.  His mistakes are usually what I would call "careless".  They never seem to indicate a lack of comprehension.  One he sees where he went wrong he's like "Oh yeah" or "I forgot".

I am so exasperated right now and discouraged. 

He gets very frustrated with art right now too - throwing down his pencil and getting angry.  He did get some help from his teacher.

And in Spanish he is progressing slowly and doesn't seem to retain much at all.  This is the kid that was excited about learning languages and wanted to learn 5!  That was when he was 11 or 12.

It's very perplexing to me because he has always been such a smart kid. 

We patched things up relationship wise, but I still don't know what to do about Algebra.  I do remember with me, it helped to have the right teacher with the right approach.  I had that in 8th grade.  Before and after that i found Math rather boring, but I did okay in it.  In 8th grade the teacher made it fun.

He does not think he's a smart kid because he finds Algebra hard.

I really wish we had a small private school with small classes and really supportive teachers, because I think that's what he needs.  But there is no such high school near us and if there was we couldn't afford it.  Public school is not the answer because, while he would enjoy the social aspect once he made friends there, the whole dynamic would be intimidating to him - he would be overwhelmed.  He is somewhat shy and somewhat sensitive.

Sorry for ranting so long.  I am frustrated but also concerned.

It's late and my mommy brain is fried so I don't have a lot of advice. First I just gotta give you a big hug! It's all going to be okay. I have two suggestions. One, would something like teaching textbooks help? Where you aren't the teacher? He might need to back up a little and do some prealgebra. Also if you don't want to back up too far and for too long something like Learn Math Fast might be perfect. It's catches you up on all the basics without all the extras. You might need to add in a little review, but it's a good option to make sure his basics are solid before moving forward. It would probably boost his confidence too. I'm sorry it's such a struggle. We're behind in math too, so I understand the stress. But it's more important to get the basics solid than to keep moving forward and not understanding. Bless you! I hope you find the answers you need.

I know you said money is tight. Learn Math Fast isn't too expensive if you buy one book at a time. Also when I talked to them they were willing to give a discount if you'd write a review for them. And I think I have an old teaching textbooks prealgebra set of CDROMs if it'd help. I think... I may have loaned it out already.

Sorry you are both having such a frustrating and upsetting time of it.

I don't know anything about teaching algebra or teaching teenagers (my eldest is 10 and working below grade level), but from my studies of child and adolescent development, I know that this age can be a challenging and emotional time due to both the hormonal changes during puberty and the associated "rebuilding" or "rewiring" of the brain that continues through most of the teen years. A 15yo boy can be likened to a tangle of toddler-strength emotions in the body of a young man!

It sounds as though there is a negative spiral happening, where his confidence is dented by his perceived failure in algebra, and then he can't progress through the algebra because it feels so overwhelming for him. I don't know how essential it is for him to get through the algebra within a specific time frame, but I would consider encouraging him to take a break from it if at all possible. He might benefit from having a short sabbatical where he works on something completely different, whether that's a different school subject or something else entirely (eg community service project, sporting or artistic accomplishment) so that he can find his sense of mastery and come back to the school stuff with a more positive and determined outlook. Also, have you discussed it with him yet? He might have his own suggestions on what is the problem and what to do about it. A different curriculum resource might be the solution, but then again it might not be, so it might be worth exploring in more detail what exactly is hindering him.

I don't know anything about teaching algebra or teaching teenagers (my eldest is 10 and working below grade level), but from my studies of child and adolescent development, I know that this age can be a challenging and emotional time due to both the hormonal changes during puberty and the associated "rebuilding" or "rewiring" of the brain that continues through most of the teen years. A 15yo boy can be likened to a tangle of toddler-strength emotions in the body of a young man!

It sounds as though there is a negative spiral happening, where his confidence is dented by his perceived failure in algebra, and then he can't progress through the algebra because it feels so overwhelming for him. I don't know how essential it is for him to get through the algebra within a specific time frame, but I would consider encouraging him to take a break from it if at all possible. He might benefit from having a short sabbatical where he works on something completely different, whether that's a different school subject or something else entirely (eg community service project, sporting or artistic accomplishment) so that he can find his sense of mastery and come back to the school stuff with a more positive and determined outlook. Also, have you discussed it with him yet? He might have his own suggestions on what is the problem and what to do about it. A different curriculum resource might be the solution, but then again it might not be, so it might be worth exploring in more detail what exactly is hindering him.

. I agree that stepping back could be good too. Maybe some fun/easier living math for awhile. Just enjoy reading some "math" books, or working on brain teasers together. Maybe you both need to detox for a little while.

Yes!  Just last week I felt like I was living with a 3 year old in a 15 year old body.  3 year old tantrums, intensity, complaining, failure to cooperate - not outright rebellion, just not doing things.  He does remind me now of when he was 3.  That same inconsistency too - one day brilliant - the next day it's as if he never learned anything.!  Thanks for reminding me!  It will help me to be more patient.  This is my first and only child & I felt very confident in the younger years but feel very out of my element with a teenager, though he is a sweetie and I love him to bits.

It's late and my mommy brain is fried so I don't have a lot of advice. First I just gotta give you a big hug! It's all going to be okay. I have two suggestions. One, would something like teaching textbooks help? Where you aren't the teacher? He might need to back up a little and do some prealgebra. Also if you don't want to back up too far and for too long something like Learn Math Fast might be perfect. It's catches you up on all the basics without all the extras. You might need to add in a little review, but it's a good option to make sure his basics are solid before moving forward. It would probably boost his confidence too. I'm sorry it's such a struggle. We're behind in math too, so I understand the stress. But it's more important to get the basics solid than to keep moving forward and not understanding. Bless you! I hope you find the answers you need.

I know you said money is tight. Learn Math Fast isn't too expensive if you buy one book at a time. Also when I talked to them they were willing to give a discount if you'd write a review for them. And I think I have an old teaching textbooks prealgebra set of CDROMs if it'd help. I think... I may have loaned it out already.

Thanks for the hug and the suggestion!  I will look into Learn Math Fast.  That sounds like exactly what I need to supplement what we are doing.  I am going to have him do speed drills everyday on the basic math facts and fractions and decimals.  While he knows how to do these, he needs a refresher to do them faster, that will help him a little with speed.

Thanks for your kind offer!  You really are too kind.  I think I may stick with what we have and use other resources to reinforce areas where he is weak.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

My 1Ds16 really struggles with algebra. for him it is the letters. I go through each lesson , and write them out to only have X & Y. he can handle them, I cannot for the life of me understand why the book uses  p  & I . It makes it so hard on anyone with dyslexia like my ds to have numbers that look to him exactly like letters.

the other problem he has is that he cannot retain the knowledge of the steps involved over a 24 hour period. I need to re-explain at the start of every lesson. some days he gets it all right, other days he gets half of it right, then starts doing something wrong and repeats the exact same mistake for the rest of the lesson.

This year he has enrolled in a TAFE course that is just about all hands on and will lead to the type of jobs that he really wants.  He has completed year 10 math.

I have also found my 13yo dd has slowed down quite a bit with math. She can work steadily for 60-90 minutes and not complete a full assignment. This usually seems to correlate with increased written output. As she gets further along in Algebra and geometry there are many more steps to each problem and she is expected to show her work. She is quite good at mental math, but she often has trouble copying problems correctly and transcribing the work she does in her head. She is  dyslexic and has this problem with almost all written output. We started her 8th grade math book in November, and she is still on chapter two. 

I have just decided to make peace with her pace. As long as she is working steadily, I would rather see 4 problems done correctly than 10 problems with mistakes. It's so hard to tell whats going on with kids emotionally and developmentally.

Hugs! There are days like that!!!!

Not from teaching experience, but from my own algebra experience, I always found it really helpful to check my work as I went. So, with equations get him to put the answer into the initial problem and see if it works. Conversely with simplify problems, get him to pick any number for the letters and plug it in the top and bottom expression. Two positives-you can fix any mistakes before Mom notices which is super good for your ego, but it really reinforces the concept of what all those x's, y's, and p's really mean. Maybe just one or two problems per day, or maybe just only for tests (plus it's a good habit-got me my very good grades in algebra in ps.)

Obviously that adds some work, so maybe cut back the number of problems you do (I know you're behind). But, I always got totally overwhelmed by the number of problems. So if he realistically does 3-5 problems/day, assign 3-5 and work out strategies to keep him on task and working at a reasonable speed (don't know your kid but timers, redirect, music, bouncing on a ball, etc). With my much younger kids, we break up their math with easier work and if they are getting tired, I encourage them to take a 10 min break. They really don't try to get out of work, and their brains work much better. Then gradually build up number as his confidence comes back. 

Also, again my own math experience, sometimes when you are struggling it's because there is some concept or skill you are missing. I totally agree with above, a bit of review would probably build some confidence. And with math, there's no point hurrying on until you've got these concepts down. Slow and solid now will lead to faster and stronger later.

Good luck!

If you can give him and you even a couple of week break, then start up again with more hands on material (like maybe Hands On Equations if you can afford it or get it used?), it might really, really help.  Once you both are bogged down and entrenched in a never ending cycle of slow work, frustration, irritation and a sense of failure, very little learning is actually occurring.

When we ran into a similar situation (but not with algebra) this year, I finally had all three of us step back (me, DS and DD), take time off and just detox.  Then we started doing more math games and are doing a lot of hands on activities, manipulatives, and even more math games, along with working through some higher concept math WITHOUT the constant drill and kill math problems.  It has helped TREMENDOUSLY.  Comprehension is definitely improving, enjoyment of math is coming back and we are all in a much healthier place.  

You are afraid you will get even further behind and I understand that.  But if he is completely demoralized and isn't really even retaining anything, then you aren't actually moving forward much anyway, and both of you may have reached a point where you are just treading water.  Take time off, detox, even for a couple of weeks, then look on-line for different approaches, see if there are cheap or free materials out there to approach the subject from a different angle, etc.  I have done it several times in the past 2 years with several subjects and it really does bring a breath of fresh air back into learning.  I have also read over and over of other parents who also stepped away then started from a different angle and things really picked up and started moving forward again.

I highly recommend that you post your concerns on the Learning Challenges board because many there may be able to make some concrete suggestions.  I also highly recommend that you look at Soror's post about relaxed math here on General Education and look at the thread for High School level math for a 4th grader with delusions of grandeur over on the Learning Challenges board.  There may be some suggestions there that could help.

Big hugs.  So sorry you are both going through this....

As far as a quick reference, the Algebra Survival Guide

http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Survival-Guide-Conversational-Thoroughly-ebook/dp/B004XIZLZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390661045&sr=8-1&keywords=the+algebra+survival+guide

Is a good one. We have it in hard copy. It's written in a very non-stressful way. There is a workbook available, and it may well be that it might be a better fit, at least initially.

Life of Fred has short problem sets and is a totally different feel than most math books. Fred seems to be a love or hate thing, but might be worth trying. The Expanded edition combines the Home Companion with the original book, which means more problems but also more solutions. It may be worth it, for a kid who is overwhelmed by long problem sets, to get the older version and the home companion separately.

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Fred-Beginning-Algebra-Expanded/dp/B00DZU8WO8/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390661252&sr=1-2&keywords=life+of+fred+beginning+algebra

The Painless series is also fairly light as a reference or supplement.

http://www.amazon.com/Painless-Algebra-Edition-Barrons-Series-ebook/dp/B005PYVAZU/ref=pd_sim_kstore_4

I'm not thrilled with the title, but the "Algebra for Dummies" book is actually fairly good, and, again, there's a workbook available if it turns out that using the book with additional problems might be a better fit.

http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Dummies-Mary-Jane-Sterling-ebook/dp/B003NE61F8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1390661185&sr=1-1&keywords=Algebra+for+Dummies

Also, for hands on, Algeblocks can really help. They're expensive, and one thing I discovered (after buying a set on ebay that turned out to be incomplete) is that if you have legos, you can build your own-you need 1x1s (1s), 1x4 (x) 1x5 (y), 4x4 (x^2), 4x4x4 (x^3), 5x5 (y^2) and 5x5x5 (y^3). Ideally, use one color for all the Xs, one for all the ys, and a different one for the 1s. four square baseplates can be used for the coordinate grid (or a big one divided into four quadrants. Use with any Algeblocks activities or the Algebra Lab Gear manual available online-the sizes aren't quite the same, but they're close enough to work.

I would sit with him throughout the lesson and exercises unless and until you can put your finger on the problem or at least closer to the problem.  What you wrote sounds like a mixture of things (bored/not paying attention, careless errors, questionable prealgebra/arithmetic skills).  For example, if he's slow with fractions, try to figure out why that is, because a less-than-solid basis there would seriously hinder algebra work and in that case it might be worth taking a couple weeks to nail that down before proceeding.  Maybe he's slow because he's slow (processing speed and/or handwriting difficulty; note that processing speed is unrelated to intelligence and many a very bright math student may turn out to have a processing speed issue - ask me how I know) or are there signs of a possible vision issue causing him to struggle and/or to look away from the paper frequently.  Maybe he struggles with sequential activities.  Maybe he's bright-and-bored because the program isn't interesting enough or too easy.  Maybe he needs a little more regular review of things that were covered earlier.  These are just totally random possibilities and they can occur in combination as well, even combinations that don't seem to make sense :tongue_smilie:.  

But, I don't think you can begin to fix the problem until you can narrow down what the issue might be.  At this stage, if he is college-bound, I would think it crucial to get this straightened out ASAP so he can continue all appropriate courses to be included on his high school transcript as well.

wapiti brings up an interesting point.  Have you ever had his eyes checked with a Developmental Optometrist?  My DS has better than 20/15 vision but he was getting terribly fatigued and frustrated with math and reading.  We attributed the issues to his dyslexia and dysgraphia, but finally took him to a Developmental Optometrist instead of a regular eye doctor and asked specifically for them to screen for developmental issues.  It turns out he has heterophoria.  One eye keeps tracking upward and his mind is constantly fighting to bring it back into alignment.  He is not consciously aware of this occurrence and it is not something the layman would be able to discern, yet it has been causing a great deal of strain for him all these years.  We start Vision Therapy in about a week.  I have read parent after parent who did not attribute any issues with learning to vision since all standard vision screenings came back normal (as did ours) until they found a Developmental Optometrist and were able to get that type of evaluation.  It might be covered by insurance.  Some are, some aren't.

Also, I agree with PPs, if he really is week in fractions and other basic math skills, then forcing him forward in Algebra may be counterproductive.  Taking a few weeks to step back and review those concepts could really help him make the connections he needs to finally click with Algebra and move forward and a better pace.  So many times the kids and I have had to do that with various things and it really does help.  In other words, you wouldn't be wasting time, you would be solidifying the skills he needs to move through at a better pace with better comprehension and retention.

Have you sat with him as he works the problems and maybe helped him work them with you, on a dry erase board, perhaps?  Maybe even just pick one or two that you already have the solution for and work backwards to see how to get there?

My daughter has used Life of Fred as a stand alone curriculum since decimals. She took a practice SAT as a freshman and scored better than average on the math (i don't remember the exact number). The pre-algebra books in particular do a really good job of teaching them how to set up problems, IMHO.

To me this doesn't sound typical. Well, having a bad math day is typical, but the slowness isn't typical. Have you had him evaluated for learning problems? Ever suspected it? The pace he is moving and the lack of focus would concern me.

Or it could be that his foundation is shaky and he just lost in the weeds. One possibility is having him go through the Key To Algebra series and then returning to Algebra, but that is prob going to require working through the summer if you want to stay on a typical high school track and hit geometry next year.

How is his multiplication? Can he rattle off his tables with no hesitation? If not then he needs to drill those. I am not a fan of drilling at all, but multiplication through 12 and addition and subtraction really need to be automatic. So does working with basic fractions. That is the little sort of things that can slow a kid way down when they get to algebra. Maybe consider starting off a math lesson with a review of some multiplication. Nothing big, just a quick "please recite your 4, 5 and 6 tables" and then the next day have him do 7, 8, and 9 etc. Once  you know those are automatic you can start off math by asking him a couple mental addition problems. Nothing huge, just things like, 'what is 22 plus 64?' and do three or four of those. He needs to be able to keep numbers in his head and move them around with some ease.

There is a program called Jump Math and it is supposed to be helpful for kids who are having a difficult time. It has a specific fractions unit that is supposed to be very good. When I read about it the author said that older kids often get into trouble in algebra because their fractions aren't solid. I think they have a free fractions unit available. They have a website and you register, but then there is stuff to download, I think. Does anyone else know more about it?

Okay, this is coming from a mom of a visual-spatial learner who is slow and concurrently doing Pre-Algebra (because she's ready) and Singapore 3A (to further cement various arithmetic skills), so take these suggestions with that in mind...

If it's clear that he understands what to do after 4 problems, then why are you making him do 30?  If the mistakes are not conceptual, but careless, make him correct them, but don't hold him back. 

Does he write slow?  I got Horizons Pre-Algebra for my kid because it's a workbook style and she can write right in it.  I also have Horizons Algebra waiting in the wings.  Only assign 1/4 of the problems.  Some kids don't need to do 30.

Is he a visual learner?  Did he learn his multiplcation facts at one point and now he forgets some sometimes?  Then hang the multiplication chart up and be done with it.  If he forgets, he can glance at the chart.  If he is a visual learner, this will actually help solidify the facts more in his mind.

Is he a hands on learner?  Maybe look at some algebra manipulatives?

I do think you need to do something different.  It really could be as simple as assigning fewer problems and moving forward.  You know your kid best.

Also, it sounds like he is only doing 3 subjects.  Are any of those his preferred subjects or his strength areas?  If not, you need to rethink what you are focusing on.  Different kids have different gifts.  We homeschool in order to meet our kids where they are and let them grow into who they are supposed to be.  If he loves history, for instance, you are making a grave mistake by not taking any time to do it.  Set a timer for the hard areas and then consider them done for the day.  Don't let them eat up the whole day and take away from the fun/desirable subjects.

Hugs.

One of my boys started Algebra at 10 and whizzed through it. The other never finished Algebra 1 but still managed to graduate from the junior college without it, and at 27 is doing fine; he's a slick one, though, and spent more time getting out of the algebra than if he had just done it. Guess which kid grew up to be the most successful? The one with no formal advanced math classes.

I would not continue devoting the day to subjects he is not making progress in. For now I'd drop the algebra and Spanish and work on what you have been skipping. I think you need a fresh start. Plan that history and lit, cuddle up with some hot cocoa and audio books and handwork. Get some history DVDs or watch Netflix.

No math for a couple weeks, and then get a cheap speed math book, and start working on those basic math facts and more accurate computation. I wouldn't start Algebra 1 again until September.

For Spanish I'd focus on vocabulary and basic phrases that do NOT build on each other, so that each unit is stand alone. Then start that book over again in September, on a more solid foundation.

High school texts tend to build, build, build, on the earlier chapters. Many students crash under the slow build. Earlier grades are more stand alone units, that start fresh for each unit. I'd plan lots of stand alone units for him right now. Do you know what i mean by that?

Sherri, a couple things aren't clear to me or are noteworthy:

-You skipped pre-algebra completely?  Although some authors or people with uber, off the charts, brilliant kids claim this isn't a big deal, for some it is.  

-He's doing Middlebury spanish?  As in you live near Middlebury college and he's going there?  Is there another program I don't know about?  Just asking, because my impression of the reputation of Middlebury was that it is VERY rigorous.  He may need to devote as much as 2 hours a day and spend a lot more time practicing than he anticipated to do well.  Tell him I FLUNKED my first year of high school russian. (They gave me a B, but I didn't really know the material.  I stole the book and studied oat all summer to catch back up.) I went on to study not only russian but a number of other languages.  It's not the end of the world that he's struggling.  It just means he hasn't learned how to study it yet and how to get it to connect into his brain.

-You feel stressed about high school.  We need to get really rational about this.  Getting stressed and pushing accomplishes NOTHING.  There are ways to make your transcript that are going to cover over these glitches (arrange by subject instead of year, etc.).  You're going to be FINE and he's going to be fine.  

Seems to me the first thing you need to do is do a math placement test or go back and pick up with pre-algebra, whether you like that or not.  You've spent 1 1/2 years slogging, and it didn't work.  Go back and rebuild the foundation.  He's older, so he may be able to get through the material more quickly, doing 2-3 lessons a day.  Since you said Horizons worked well for him, I would get the Horizons pre-algebra.  Do the math, but if he does 2 lessons a day, he'll be able to finish by the end of the school year.  Reward him every day for doing double math.  Make dough at the beginning of the week, and every day while he does his math start baking cookies that he gets when he's done.  Seriously.  Just eat the mistake and move on.  If he needs to go back to be confident enough to go forward, GO BACK.  I've done it with my dd.  You don't turn something into an LD that is because the parent skipped something and made the work too hard and too much of a leap.  He could have a SN issue going on, yes.  My dd does, which is one reason I know about the going back thing and how VITAL it is.  ;)  But whether he has a SN or not, it doesn't change the fact that skipping a level (or 2) of math doesn't work for many/most kids.  So no matter what, you have to go back, rebuild his confidence, rebuild his speed.  Even kids with low processing speed can go faster if they can actually do the material.  My dd's processing speed is so low I cried when I found it out.  She can go fast on math when the material is right.  So don't be afraid to go back.  Horizons is affordable and something you had success with before, so it would make sense to continue.  Don't they also have a Horizons algebra 1 now?  I thought they were talking about it...

If you want evals, come to the LC board and chat.  You can get evals for free through the ps, and sounds like that's your price point.  Given your struggles (and that we don't know the full situation) it might even be advisable.  I just wouldn't use that as an excuse not to back up and place him in the math appropriately.  

When you say he is slow etc, how long is he spending on those three subject a day? My about to be 14 year old 8th grader spends a minimum of 60 mins and usually around 90 mins a day on Algebra. He spends about 6 hours on school during the day and about an hour of assigned reading in the evening.

Now, some kids can spend less time and still cover their core courses (Language arts, science, history, math) but by 8th or 9th grade it isn't going to be a lot less time.

I agree that he needs to move on to other subjects during the day. Once he hits 60 or 90 mins on math then move onto to other things to get them done.

Okay, this is coming from a mom of a visual-spatial learner who is slow and concurrently doing Pre-Algebra (because she's ready) and Singapore 3A (to further cement various arithmetic skills), so take these suggestions with that in mind...

If it's clear that he understands what to do after 4 problems, then why are you making him do 30?  If the mistakes are not conceptual, but careless, make him correct them, but don't hold him back. 

Does he write slow?  I got Horizons Pre-Algebra for my kid because it's a workbook style and she can write right in it.  I also have Horizons Algebra waiting in the wings.  Only assign 1/4 of the problems.  Some kids don't need to do 30.

Is he a visual learner?  Did he learn his multiplcation facts at one point and now he forgets some sometimes?  Then hang the multiplication chart up and be done with it.  If he forgets, he can glance at the chart.  If he is a visual learner, this will actually help solidify the facts more in his mind.

Is he a hands on learner?  Maybe look at some algebra manipulatives?

I do think you need to do something different.  It really could be as simple as assigning fewer problems and moving forward.  You know your kid best.

Also, it sounds like he is only doing 3 subjects.  Are any of those his preferred subjects or his strength areas?  If not, you need to rethink what you are focusing on.  Different kids have different gifts.  We homeschool in order to meet our kids where they are and let them grow into who they are supposed to be.  If he loves history, for instance, you are making a grave mistake by not taking any time to do it.  Set a timer for the hard areas and then consider them done for the day.  Don't let them eat up the whole day and take away from the fun/desirable subjects.

Hugs.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: