Menu

In my 40's and exhausted

Elisabet1

I am 43, and a half. I know, I can stop counting halves. But the point is, shortly before I turned 43, I started feeling just exhausted. I have been to the doctor and had blood work and everything. They said I was fine. 

This is such an exhaustion. I can add that my periods are so close together and light now that I am sure that menopause must be around the corner..or perimenopause, or whatever. I am so exhausted that even though I slept until 10:30am today, and had multiple cups of coffee and then resorted to Coca Cola, but it is 4pm now and I just want to go back to bed. And it has been this way for 6 or 7 months. By the way, I do not even like pop. I just drank it in hopes of the caffiene helping. 

I just feel like crying because I am so exhausted all the time. Is this an age thing? Anyone go through this? I am taking vitamins. 

:grouphug: I'll give you a BTDT, or rather, I'm there.  It is an age thing, but if it does go on for too long see another doctor.  

I will add that I've started taking Vit D, I'm more careful with my diet, and I changed up my exercise routine.  I still get tired more easily, but it's getting better.  

Last year I went through the same thing with my periods.  They were so close together.  I think that went on for 2 years, but not every month.  It's annoying, and yes, exhausting.  

Welcome to your 40's.......

What is your diet like? My college kids hit coffee too hard and along with college stress, depleted their B12.... low B12 can make you miserable. If I eat too much sugar (really any at all) I am drained. I have found the more I clean up my diet, the better I feel. I started juicing at Christmas, and that is my next step (not much fruit, mostly vegetables).

Ah, the forties. I turned 40 and my body was all, "Eat like a saint or I keeel you. Mwahahahaha..." I would have a new, more detailed thyroid panel done. Mine was fine, then ever so slightly low, but I felt terribly tired and depressed all the time for no real reason. Fixing the ever so slightly low number made me feel incredible by comparison. Other than that, take a great multivitamin (I do a prenatal for the iron), Vitamin D3 (Carlson liquid), extra B vitamins. Exercise, but not too hard. Relax, meditate, pray, bubble bathe (yes, now a verb in my family :tongue_smilie:), read magazines, generally destress. But most importantly, eat like a saint. And, for the record, for me that changed big time. Allergies can do you in with exhaustion. Unbeknownst to me, instead of having seasonal allergies, I had a dairy allergy. Quitting dairy cleaned me up. And grains. Bah. I've been on and off coffee so many times. I feel generally better when I do not consume caffeine, but I feel AWESOME for the couple of hours after I drink my morning cup. LOL (not...) I eat salad now, and lots of eggs. When I eat like a saint, I feel wonderful. When I do not, I do not. 

I am still breastfeeding too. She is 2.5 yrs old. I know she is my last so I am not eager to wean. I will try additional B12. I go back to the endocrinologist in a couple weeks. But lately, my thyroid medicine has been increased each visit.

You have a baby! No wonder you're exhausted. I had my babies in my twenties and I was a zombie for their first two years. I never got the spring back in my step until they weaned and my kids nursed forever. They would absolutely kill me in my forties. I'm in great shape, and I exercise regularly, but my kids are teens and I'm confident that chasing a little kid around all day would wear me out now. I played with my toddler nephews for half a day and had to come home and nap!