Menu

Why do I have scratches on my month old Fiestaware - Update

Teresa in MO

my dc bought me 10 place settings of Fiestaware for Christmas.  It was quite a surprise!  They knew I was wanting Fiestaware after reading all the reviews of it on this board.  So, I have had it a little less than a month and some of the plates have scratches on them.  Some of them you can really feel when you run your finger across it.  This is so disappointing since I love them.  The thing is we have not used knives at all on the plates.  And even if we had, I don't think it should scratch like this.  Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do about it?

UPDATE

I called Fiestaware and the customer service was great!  They had no idea what might be causing the problem though.  They are sending me out 6 new plates.  My concern is what is causing this and how to prevent it.  I asked them about the dishwasher soap etching them and they didn't see how that could do it.  Though, like was mentioned here, they don't recommend the lemon soap.  I am also going to make sure my dd do not pre-rinse the plates when they load the dishwasher.

• Like 1

I have 4 colors of Fiesta ware- scarlet, sunflower, cobalt, and a orange color whose name I can't recall.  I disliked the cobalt dishes and how they looked after a few months- lots of marks and discoloration on those.  I've felt that the Scarlet color has held up the best. You should definitely take your dishes back if you aren't happy.  Maybe pick a different color?  What color do you have?   

I have 4 colors of Fiesta ware- scarlet, sunflower, cobalt, and a orange color whose name I can't recall.  I disliked the cobalt dishes and how they looked after a few months- lots of marks and discoloration on those.  I've felt that the Scarlet color has held up the best. You should definitely take your dishes back if you aren't happy.  Maybe pick a different color?  What color do you have?   

I have a combination of 4 colors.  Scarlet, Peacock, Green and Sunflower.  I love the dishes, but not sure why the scratches and it worries me that they are there after only a month.  On one plate, the scratches are quite deep.

Try to rub them off first. 

From the website: http://www.fiestafactorydirect.com/t-faqusecare.aspx

What causes the gray marks on my Fiesta® Dinnerware? 
Gray marks on pottery are very common especially on lighter glazed colors. This is not an imperfection in the ware; simply caused when metal flatware comes into contact with glazes that are actually a harder substance than the metal itself. Glazes look and feel smooth to the touch but actually there are microscopic divots where the marks collect as the flatware is moved over them. Many consumers consider the marks scratches, however there is usually no damage to the glaze or pottery itself.

How do I clean marks off my Fiesta® Dinnerware? 
Metal markings can be removed by a wide variety of products on the market today including Zud, Bar Keepers Friend, and Porcelain cleaners. The product recommended to us by several customers and one we find works best is Wrights Copper Cleaner which can be found at most grocery stores.

Is there a warranty with my Fiesta® Dinnerware? 
Yes. Your Fiesta® does have a warranty. 
We warrant all china made by The Homer Laughlin China Company against chipping under normal usage conditions for a period of five years from the date of delivery. We will replace any pieces returned and found to be defective with identical or equivalent pieces on a one-for-one basis.

All breakage and chipping caused by abnormal or abusive use is expressly excluded from this warranty. We reserve the right to determine whether or not the chipping is from normal usage.

• Like 2

Are they really scratches? Or are they grey marks?

We've had fiestaware for many year and don't have any scratches. Grey marks, yes, but I don't really notice those.

I am going to check the dishes tomorrow morning after they come out of the dishwasher.  But, I do know on one they are actually scratches because I can rub my finger across them and feel the cuts.  Will check them all carefully tomorrow.  They are all on the dinner plates and not the other size plates or bowls.  We are not rough on them, just use regular forks.  I am assuming you could use steak knives on them, is that correct?

I  have vintage Fiestaware that I picked up at a thrift shop and I have some brand new Fiestaware I got at Kohl's in Dec.  and  there are no scratches on any of it that I have noticed--certainly nothing that can be felt.  We have used it like normal dishes and use knives to cut steaks, etc. The light colors are prone to getting grey marks on the plates, but they can be removed with baking soda. Something doesn't seem right.

• Like 1

I am going to check the dishes tomorrow morning after they come out of the dishwasher.  But, I do know on one they are actually scratches because I can rub my finger across them and feel the cuts.  Will check them all carefully tomorrow.  They are all on the dinner plates and not the other size plates or bowls.  We are not rough on them, just use regular forks.  I am assuming you could use steak knives on them, is that correct?

We use all kinds of knives with no problem. 

• Like 1

Is your dishwasher detergent etching them? It sounds like it is too late now, but don't use more than a tablespoon of dish soap and don't pre-rinse the dishes.

We don't pre-rinse the dishes, but I use the pods so I wonder if that's it.  I just checked the plates and I have 6 out of 10 that are scratched.  Actually, etching might be more accurate.  Except for 2, all the etching is in the center of the plate.  This is only on the dinner plates, the salad and buffet plates are fine.  I am going to call the company today.

We have lots of colors of fiestaware, and our yellow and orange are much worse in this regard than others. I am going to try the tips above to see if they are 'metal marks' --- and when I buy more I am skipping yellow and orange. Somehow all the rest are still great - and we've had them and used them every day for ten years.

Glad you're getting good customer service!

So, I had to go back and look at our plates. We have a number of colors. On the yellow, there are some uniform light grey markings, but I guess we aren't very observant/picky! It really just blends into the plate to me. We definitely have nothing that you can "feel" as a scratch. In going on 15 years, we've hardly broken any pieces even. We've been very happy with our fiesta.

Hope you're happy with your new plates. :)

• 3 years later...

​After 50 years of alternating two sets of daily dishes, I opted to buy Fiestaware. The color was Marigold, in honor of their  75th,. anniversary.  I noticed scratches on the dinner plates soon after I began using them.  At an antique shop, I spoke with  a man who deals only in Fiestaware.  He told me to buy a powder called Zud.  I purchased it thru Amazon and it worked, but within a short time the dinner plates were scratched again.  I reached administration at Homer Laughlin (sp) and I was told that the cause was stainless steel knives.  I asked why people who were buying large amounts of Fiestaware (I purchased 14 place settings) were not made aware of this problem.  I was told by a gentleman that it is the fault of the knives and they should be the ones to warn people.  This doesn't make sense. 

​I purchased another product that they suggested to get rid of the marks, and I realized that I was going to have to do this constantly.  The ingredients of the product are not something I wish to use often. 

​I don't want to use any more products often to clean the dishes, and I am very unhappy with the company.  Has anyone found any knives that don't leave scratches?

​After 50 years of alternating two sets of daily dishes, I opted to buy Fiestaware. The color was Marigold, in honor of their 75th,. anniversary. I noticed scratches on the dinner plates soon after I began using them. At an antique shop, I spoke with a man who deals only in Fiestaware. He told me to buy a powder called Zud. I purchased it thru Amazon and it worked, but within a short time the dinner plates were scratched again. I reached administration at Homer Laughlin (sp) and I was told that the cause was stainless steel knives. I asked why people who were buying large amounts of Fiestaware (I purchased 14 place settings) were not made aware of this problem. I was told by a gentleman that it is the fault of the knives and they should be the ones to warn people. This doesn't make sense.

​I purchased another product that they suggested to get rid of the marks, and I realized that I was going to have to do this constantly. The ingredients of the product are not something I wish to use often.

​I don't want to use any more products often to clean the dishes, and I am very unhappy with the company. Has anyone found any knives that don't leave scratches?

I have fiestaware now but I've had other brands of stoneware before (pfatlzgtaff, pottery barn, and crate and barrel) they all got the gray marks from stainless utensils. Seems to be part of having stoneware.

I've never considered putting in the effort to clean the marks off.

• Like 1