Menu

Why does everything take 10 times longer than it should?

ElizabethB

Or do I just estimate badly, LOL?

I thought making a list and game of 32 Greek and 32 Latin roots would take a few days, it is taking a few weeks.

Making a few new phonics movies--iMovie updated and I have to learn the new version before I can even start, I have watched a few how to movies.

One a positive note, the children and I recently cleaned the entire living room and kitchen in 15 minutes, I thought it would take longer. They clean faster than me, maybe it is me and I am getting old and slow...

Chronos is one of the Greek roots included in my top 32, is there a word for time underestimation, LOL?

Good grief, yes.  I have no idea but it's so true.

Except for some reason, everything takes dh less time than it takes other people.  He actually sits around at work a decent amount because he has to kill the time they allot him for projects or he'll get in trouble.  They love his finished product, but don't want to know that he usually does it in half the time as the other employees.  Sigh.  I think I'm jealous.

Whenever a recipe says that it'll take 30 minutes, I laugh and say, "Yeah right." It always takes me at least twice as long as what they say, maybe because I wash the dishes while I'm working, I don't know. These days, I think I'm just slow at cooking and unproductive with regard to most things. It's very frustrating. 

It has been a long running joke with me and dh that every time I ask him how long a project will take, it usually is about 3 times that.  He estimates based on having all the materials ready to go and nothing going wrong and it is never that way.  We determined his several years ago and it still stands true today.

Whenever a recipe says that it'll take 30 minutes, I laugh and say, "Yeah right." It always takes me at least twice as long as what they say, maybe because I wash the dishes while I'm working, I don't know. These days, I think I'm just slow at cooking and unproductive with regard to most things. It's very frustrating. 

In your (our) defense, I think most of those recipes "cheat" by listing "onion, finely diced" in the ingredient list, so they are not counting the time it actually takes to do that - they start counting when all of the ingredients are prepared as listed.  So, sure, it takes 30 minutes *after* all the chopping/slicing/peeling etc., but it takes 45 minutes to do all that in the first place.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;)

In your (our) defense, I think most of those recipes "cheat" by listing "onion, finely diced" in the ingredient list, so they are not counting the time it actually takes to do that - they start counting when all of the ingredients are prepared as listed.  So, sure, it takes 30 minutes *after* all the chopping/slicing/peeling etc., but it takes 45 minutes to do all that in the first place.

Yes!  The answer is to get our own sous chef who will do all of that for us!  

So true. :) 

If it makes you ladies feel any better....take how long it takes to do anything...and multiply by 100 and that is how long it takes in India!

I miss the days of having a list of 10 places to get to and finish errands at in one day.

Now, I have a list of ONE and if I get that one thing done the way I want it done...I am happy!

The hardest part for Americans moving here is learning to slow WAY down, reduce expectations and be happy if you accomplished ANYTHING at all today!!

If it makes you ladies feel any better....take how long it takes to do anything...and multiply by 100 and that is how long it takes in India!

I miss the days of having a list of 10 places to get to and finish errands at in one day.

Now, I have a list of ONE and if I get that one thing done the way I want it done...I am happy!

The hardest part for Americans moving here is learning to slow WAY down, reduce expectations and be happy if you accomplished ANYTHING at all today!!

China was like this too, when I lived there.  We were lucky enough to have highly competent household help - she did things like going to government offices to stand in line and pay bills in cash.

L

Because unless you own a $700 continuous operation, jam-free shredder, you have to stop every 10 minutes for half an hour to let it cool down. 😉

At least, that was my day today. Grrr. I may finish my 'paperwork project' by January 2015! Or not... Because then it'll be time to clean out 2014 papers!!