Menu

A question about the Holling C. Holling books...

BatmansWife

I'm considering using Beautiful Feet Geography next year, for 5th, which uses the Holling C. Holling books: Paddle to the Sea, Tree in the Trail, Minn of the Mississippi, and Seabird. 

I read this review at CBD, and I wanted to get your opinion of this, if you've read these books.  The reviewer says:

I tried to use this when my children were younger and I loved the concept of this curriculum. It entails reading four books written by Holling C. Holling and covering the geography contained in them. We read the first book, "Paddle to the Sea", and really enjoyed it. Beware, these are not Christian books! I had to explain a few things to my children about the traditions of people who do not know Christ, but overall it was fine.As we encountered the next book, I had to skip sections of it because it spoke of things pertaining to the "spirit world", which I did not feel I could read to my children. The last 2 books contained so many "spiritual ideas" not pertaining to Christ that we could not even read them. It was really too bad because we thoroughly enjoyed the first book.We have done 2 other Beautiful Feet curricula, The U.S. History for younger grades and the other for older students and have greatly enjoyed them. However, I could not recommend this particular Geography curriculum. If you are a Christian, you will probably be disappointed.

Would you agree with what she says about these books?  If this is mentioned in the books occasionally, I don't think it's a bid deal.  We are reading the d'Aulaire Pocahontas book right now and it talks about the spirit world and magic, because that's what the native American's believed.  Instead of reading something as if it's a fact, like...'Pocahontas' grandmother told her about the spirits that lived in the sun, in the trees, in the rocks...'  I say something like, "Pocahontas and her tribe believed that there was a spirit in the sun, in the trees, and even in the rocks,"  Is it easy enough to do something similar, if needed, with the Holling C. Holling books...or is it just too much in the books from beginning to end?

I feel you need to take a common sense approach when dealing with the beliefs of others. I constantly encounter this with my children, be it from Egyptian Gods or Native American spirits, or Christianity. Do we really want to completely shelter our children from a world view or make them think that ALL people think a certain way? I often say, "They believe/d..." It doesn't mean I believe or expect my children to believe. Our children are smart enough to know the difference. 

I personally didn't care for Paddle to the Sea, but I also don't think it would be hard to read to your child with the disclaimer that some people believed something different from you. 

What an odd review... :confused1:  I suppose if your expectation was that the author was a Christian and was writing from a Christian perspective, and that the books were about Christian doctrine, then that certainly would be "disappointing". 

We really liked the books, and loved the BF maps and guide to go with them --  wonderful study for geography that fit right in with the US History we were doing. We spread them out over 2 years, doing 1 book a semester.

We are conservative Christians, and looked at these books similarly as you described -- it's a just a matter-of-fact statement of what the beliefs of these people are, which I see as an opportunity to lead to some great discussions, not something to block out of fear of exposure... JMO, but if children are old enough to go through these books, they're old enough to be able to have rational conversations about different belief systems... ;)

Just my 2 cents worth. Maybe you can check them out of the library and do a quick review of the books and see what you think? BEST of luck, whatever you decide! 

These books, which we use, are scheduled by Ambleside Online which is designed by fairly conservative Christians who included Greek myths, Viking stories, and some histories written from a secular perspective.  I find the Holling books encourage a perceptive, kind and compassionate character in the child which is important to me.  We often use books with different perspectives and discuss them. 

We are currently reading Paddle to the Sea, and it, for instance, includes the concept of the hermit crab having an instinctive "voice" that occasionally "speaks to" it.  The instinct is named "Old Pal" and sometimes we read that "Old Pal warned Pagoo ..." or something like this.  This is the most spiritualistic thing I myself have noticed in this book. 

The books are so lovely, and have so much to recommend them, that if you are leaning away from using them I'd ask you to check one out at your library if possible before passing them over. 

Are you comfortable with reading about a passing reference to Holling's understanding Native American spirituality? The boy who carves the boat that is sent towards the sea ("Paddle to the sea") is himself a Native American. I don't remember anything particularly religious about his books, but that's me. We are reading Pagoo right now, and the "instinct" tells him things like "look for food," not anything worship related. I don't think my kids have displayed the least religious distress after reading vague statements such as this about people of other religions or statements about "mother nature." I didn't find Holling's books to be religious or anti-religious in nature.

Does anyone know where I can find more details re: the scope of the geography covered in this program?

It is the Beautiful Feet Geography guide that brings out/focuses the geography in these books. See samples of the guide.

Paddle to the Sea = the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence River, and adjacent U.S. states and Canada

Tree in the Trail = history/geography of the Santa Fe trail (midwest), and the adjacent U.S. states

Minn of the Mississippi = history/geography of the Mississippi River, and the adjacent U.S. states

Seabird = 100 years of ships/sailing; world geography = Nantucket USA, Greenland, India, China, Japan...

It is the Beautiful Feet Geography guide that brings out/focuses the geography in these books. See samples of the guide.

Paddle to the Sea = the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence River, and adjacent U.S. states and Canada

Tree in the Trail = history/geography of the Santa Fe trail (midwest), and the adjacent U.S. states

Minn of the Mississippi = history/geography of the Mississippi River, and the adjacent U.S. states

Seabird = 100 years of ships/sailing; world geography = Nantucket USA, Greenland, India, China, Japan...

Thank you!

Thank you so much everyone!  What a relief!  I was so excited to do this...but you know how it is...sometimes you read one negative thing and it makes you second-guess.  I'm so glad the books aren't really the way that reviewer made them seem.  I know I could count on you gals to let me know.

If anyone else reading this is interested, I found this website mentioned in an old BF Geography thread.  It has notebooking pages to use with 3 of the books (not sure if Seabird is included, it doesn't look like it).

And, Kathy Jo's book 50 States and Where To Find Them also uses the Holling books.  I'm going to try to incorporate all of these resources. 

We read "Paddle" last year & to be honest I don't remember anything that stood out as overtly religious.  We enjoyed the book so much I have purchased a couple more to read through this year.  If it had been a really focus I am sure I would have noticed.

Regards :-)

We enjoyed the Holling books because of the historical and cultural aspects woven through the geography. If one  wanted or expected just geography, or geography mixed with Christian-only emphasis, then this curriculum would probably not be the best choice. The review sounds like someone had a misunderstanding of what the books were.

FYI - IEW puts out Geography-Based writing lessons to go along with the BF Geography program.

I had seen this too, over at CBD, when I was looking at their samples of the BF Geography guide.  I thought that would be cool to use too....but in looking at their samples I see a lot of essays.  I just now looked at the IEW site at their samples.  Hmmm.....even though my kid would be right in the age range, I can totally see this taking it over the edge (in a bad way) and turning this from something enjoyable to something dreaded by her.  I also see at the IEW sample that is says, "Previous training in the Structure and Style writing method is a prerequisite".  Well, that leaves us out (which is good; then I don't feel guilty about not wanting to use it anyway,  :blush:  ).  But, nowhere at the CBD website do they mention that.