Menu

Please help me out - does the letter 'a' ever sound

Tohru

I have taught three children of my own to read.  FIrst one hardly needed phonics at all.  But my difficulties came with trying to teach the second one with phonics.  That is because she has excellent hearing and hearing is the primary sense she relies on (it turned out much later that she had not only one problem with vision but a second, much more fundamental issue with it and suddenly it made total sense why she does so many things).  Anyway, as I found out with her, there are a lot more than four pronunciations of a- most phonics books only cover about 60 phonetical sounds.  I actually corresponded with a few academics about this and found out that English actually has more than 100 phonetic sounds.  And yes, there are more than 4 sounds for a. 

Would you write out how you pronounce these all differently?  I can't imagine.  Carry, fairy and ferry all sound the same to me. 

LOL - they're already written how they're pronounced differently! 

Carry has a "short a" sound like mat - just like vowels are supposed to before a double consonant

Fairy has a "long a" sound like mate - just like fair or fare (is this how you pronounce all 3? - or which vowel sound wins?)

Ferry has a "short e" sound like met. - again, the "e" is short before the double consonant

I know that according to the pronunciation map someone once linked, we here in our corner of the northeast are alone in the US in hearing these differences (usually Mary/merry/marry is used as the example - same - the vowels are like mate, met, mat).  I think the Brits are with us in hearing the difference?

But don't you all pronounce mat, mate and met differently??

fairy tales, ferry boat - almost the same, but I'd hold the vowel sound slightly longer in the first.

carry would be like care-y which is slightly different from fairy because the hard first consonent makes the vowel sound have a little earlier emphasis... I am sure this doesn't make sense to anyone but me...

Carry has a "short a" sound like mat - just like vowels are supposed to before a double consonant

Fairy has a "long a" sound like mate - just like fair or fare (is this how you pronounce all 3? - or which vowel sound wins?)

Ferry has a "short e" sound like met. - again, the "e" is short before the double consonant

I know that according to the pronunciation map someone once linked, we here in our corner of the northeast are alone in the US in hearing these differences (usually Mary/merry/marry is used as the example - same - the vowels are like mate, met, mat). I think the Brits are with us in hearing the difference?

Mat, mate, and met are different, yes. Carry, fairy, and ferry all have the same sound as met. :)

Would you write out how you pronounce these all differently?  I can't imagine.  Carry, fairy and ferry all sound the same to me. 

I know that according to the pronunciation map someone once linked, we here in our corner of the northeast are alone in the US in hearing these differences (usually Mary/merry/marry is used as the example - same - the vowels are like mate, met, mat).  I think the Brits are with us in hearing the difference?

I pronounce it exactly as described above. They do not have the same sound.