Menu

Is this forum suited for someone like this?

I'm in my mid-20s. In many respects, I feel as if I was shortchanged in my education. There are many things that I was never taught that I now realize I must know. I must learn these things so that I can be a more productive member of society, better appreciate the human condition, and so that--if I decide to have children--they too might know (because I could teach them).

Therefore, in my spare time, I've decided to teach myself these things. In particular, I want to improve my knowledge of math & science (which is dismal), hone my writing/oratory skills, and sharpen my reasoning/logical thinking. I also want to read more philosophical texts. 

Is this forum suited for people like me? Or, is it more geared toward younger learners?

Yes, hop on in.  And don't be intimidated by some of the posts.  Some people do some pretty advanced things here and it can seem like you must really be behind.  Nope.  There is no such thing as one size fits all.  There are a lot of different ways to learn and you will hear a bunch of them on this forum.  Lots of great people here.  And welcome!

You and I could be twins. I was educated in the California public school system, so I'm probably worse off than you. You would be amazed at the things I've learned in my adult life of self education, that I never learned in school.

Mesopotamia is a real place, for instance. We had an American Revolutionary War. You know, the little things.

Anyway, WELCOME!!  :hurray:

One trap people here fall into is making all the posters into a sort of Hive Hybrid which they then compare themselves to. There is no one here, even the scarily smart people, who are being scarily smart at EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE.

In your honour, I shall bump my old thread. Not that I'm calling your worthy self a wannabe...
http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/475941-what-are-you-thinking-about-for-self-ed-wannabes-p/