Menu

What does your 15-16 year old charge for babysitting?

Prairie~Phlox

My dd has babysat off & on for about 2 years and she was working in a daycare, but it closed it August. She is going to start watching the neighbor boys ~2 yo & 4 yo from 5-30pm-midnight every three weeks, Friday-Sunday nights. She will be 16 in February. She's not sure what she should charge. I want to add, this is sonparents can go to work, not for pleasure.

For regular work, my kids generally made a little less per hour. I would say $50-$60 per night would be fair depending on where you live.  On one hand, there is bathtime, dinner and bedtime, is up late and is giving up her entire weekend. On the other, she has a nice chunk of time to herself after they're in bed and it's not every weekend.  

I paid $22 for a a fifteen year old to watch my kids for two hours in the daytime recently. There were five kids, but my oldest is almost ready to babysit herself so it was more of a joint effort. Rates vary depending on location but I think $10 per hour would be a minimum.

This is really dependent on where you live. $10/hour would be a minimum where I live. That is before tipping. I do not know anyone who uses a sitter who doesn't tip. I have a neighbor who paid sitters less ($7) and didn't tip and she had a hard time getting sitters (no one would commit until last minute when they knew there wasn't another job!. Last night another neighbor told me that rates in Florida were a lot less (I'm sure this depends on the part of Florida.he moved here from ft. Myers).

Your dd should ask other teens what they charge and you should try to ask moms of younger kids what they are currently paying.

Since this would be a regular gig, your dd might consider charging less. In negotiating the pay she might state, "The local rate for a Friday or Saturday night, including dinner and bedtime is $X/hour. Since this will be a consistent job I am willing to consider $Y."

Your dd has work experience. These are small boys who require attention. She needs to check if she will be in charge of baths (3 days in a row, I would expect the boys to get a bath sometime. What about dinner--is she cleaning up.

Ok, dad said they would eat before she comes, they go to bed at 8. Wow, I wasn't thinking she could charge as much as you are all suggesting. Maybe I'm wrong. We live in a pretty low COL area. (indiana) She hardly gets babysitting jobs since she was actually working in a daycare and she has been wanting to work since August, I just don't want to have to run her someplace.

We're also in a low COL area, and usually paid a 15yo $5/hr for one kid, $7/hr for both for occasional sitting, didn't change with the age of the kids.  I would think a little less for a regular job than for occasional.  A friend who does home daycare charges just over $3/hr because she has to stay with the rates set by the state so she can get state funding (so she ends up with more than $3/hr eventually).

That's why you have to ask around. Figure what the hourly rate is for YOUR neighborhood. You can say $10/hour when there's a girl across the street who charges 5 and a boy in the next block gets 6. I live in a high COL area.

If she decides to give a per weekend rate that is slightly lower than the going hourly rate she should make it clear that she is clearing the weekend and therefore should still receive some compensation in the event of their cancellation. And if the cancellation is last minute compensation should be higher--to recognize she had missed other opportunities/work due to blocking the weekend for them.