Menu

What is the most exciting Middle Ages history curriculum out there for middle school?

Hmmm,  'keep you on the edge of your seat'?  That's a tall order!  We mostly used a schedule that I had put together using the Truthquest Middle Ages guide.  We read some fantastic books, but I'm not sure it fits the category of 'can't wait to see what happens next' .  Right now I'm using many of the suggestions at http://www.guesthollow.com/index.html   You might find something you like over there.  

Actually, we have done SOTW Middle Ages about 3 years ago and ds liked it enough, not sure about him LOVING it. We also did Activity guide as well with extra reading. He still remembers many parts of what we read and learned. 

I keep going between TOG and HOD, mostly TOG year 2 but I am very leery I can pull it off with 3rd, 1st, and 3yo in addition to 6th grader.

Oxford University Press's Medieval & Early Modern World series is the best series I've seen for this age group.  I don't know about edge-of-the-seat excitement, that's a lot to ask of the middle ages, but it's good!

Yes, we are using this. We also used The World in Ancient Times before this. We have added in Project Passport Middle Ages and Renaissance & Reformation from Homeschool in the Woods. This is about as good as it gets for us here. I highly recommend both, but HITW only if your child is project-oriented and/or crafty.

The K12 History Odyssey is one of the most high interest history curriculum that has been very highly recommended  on the WTM forums for middle school grades. The text is very readable and the art work in the text is fabulous. There is a separate Teacher's guide with lesson plans and the answers to the student pages. The student pages give the student their classwork as well as writing help for how to write a quality research report for history.

I definitely think that it helps prepare students for high school level work.

Check it out here:

http://www.k12.com/courses/textbooks-products#.UsvssMIo7IU

Annette