Menu

Minecraft Mod Design/Youth Digital on HSBC

My DS thinks he would love the mod design class. Has anyone gone through some of the other classes from Youth Digital and have they been worth it? Are they really textbooky school-like or are they fun?

I hope they get the people they need for the biggest discount but they are so far away. If you purchased it, do you think it was worth full price or close to it?

My son is doing Game Design 1 right now. He says it's not textbooky but fun. As far as price, the program is great, the company is quick to help and answer questions but I hate that it's only a year subscription. Just because I like to actually own something when I pay that much money. I think it's worth the $130 range but I wouldn't pay over $200. But if you look at it as an online class then the price is pretty comparable. My younger son wants to do the mod design too but I'm waiting for the lowest discount before buying.

My daughter is doing game design one and two and absolutely loves it I have not had to put forth any real effort to help her other then show her how to email her questions to Youth digital. She also is signing up for the java mod design. Its extremly kid friendly with no boring textbooks or instructors. The lessons are quick and made for kids.

Do you think it's better to do game design one and two first?

My son is so excited about the opportunity to possibly design his own Minecraft mod.

We're looking at it, but I wouldn't purchase unless it hit the lowest price, but can't you sign up as an "if it hits" contingent offer? The one thing I need to know, though, was are the classes live?! If so that won't work for us as most US classes are just at a poor time. Nobody's going to get up at 4am to concentrate, even for mindcraft. ;)

We're looking at it, but I wouldn't purchase unless it hit the lowest price, but can't you sign up as an "if it hits" contingent offer? The one thing I need to know, though, was are the classes live?! If so that won't work for us as most US classes are just at a poor time. Nobody's going to get up at 4am to concentrate, even for mindcraft. ;)

No the classes are not live.  You just watch a class whenever you want to.  During the day (US time) they have someone that you can chat with if you have questions.  If someone is not available to chat you can email your question and they are very quick to answer.

Do you think it's better to do game design one and two first?

My son is so excited about the opportunity to possibly design his own Minecraft mod.

No I think they are completely separate.  The Mod design class has nothing to do with the Game Design 1.  Game Design is not a precursor.

I personally think doing Game Design 1 and 2 first is best. It puts the student in the right 'mindset' to program.

As far as cost. To me it's WORTH it. However, if you want to go cheap, there are always youtube videos.

. Really? They seem like two completely different things to me. You could be right though. :).  I suppose having completed Game Design 1 and 2 might be beneficial however I think Mod Design is meant to be a stand alone program.   I actually emailed the company to get clarification, so I'll reply here if I hear anything.

I looked at this too, I know DS would love it.  But it is pretty expensive!  If it came to the highest discount level, maybe.  I'm not sure I want an entire program devoted to Minecraft when there's so much else out there, LOL!!

As it is, he's completing the Visual Basic Kid Coder course, and I just bought the Web Design and Teen Coder Java.  So that's probably enough for now.  But I'll follow the thread anyway.  :)

I purchased it for my son for Christmas and he is very excited to start it. I really don't like MC, but I like that he will have an intro to JAVA, so I can tolerate it. DH watched several youtube videos with DS about how to make mods and couldn't get thru many vids without profanity  :sad: . I think it will be worth it because it is a safe environment and he is enthusiastic about learning. Though, I hope they get a bigger discount.

My son is particularly interested in Minecraft, but he has been working through Teen Coder Java (Homeschool Programming which is currently also on sale and much less expensive). Between that and just playing around a lot and watching youtube (searching the Internet, etc.) he can do quite a bit with Minecraft. So I think there are definitely ways to learn these things without spending that kind of money on it.

I think your son is younger than mine......the ad says for 9-12th....but your son is doing ok with it? I just showed it to my xh (he is a programmer) and he said it looks good.

My daughter is a rather visual learner. I'm having her do Youth digital's Mod Java before she tackles Homeschool Programming Java, mainly because she doesn't want to do more reading in her already packed curriculum. They both offer different projects which help with more practice. So when she finishes Youth Digital's Java, she'll do Homeschool programming next year. Since she plans on going into engineering she'll likely take the course again in college, lol!

Doing Game Design has taught my daughter the overall process to 'application' design. Since I work in this field during the day I know how important this is for newbie programmer types who are young.

But again, you know your kid, so meet them where they are at.

Ah ha.  I see where you're coming from.   You definitely have a better feel for it than I do.   ;)

I emailed them to ask if this course was OK for an absolute beginner or whether or not they had a suggested sequence of courses or what not.  This was the reply (quick too):

"...We actually cater all of our level 1 courses to beginners, so wherever your child would like to start would be appropriate.  We walk every student through the basics of programming and design in each level 1 class.  So if Mod Design is what he's passionate about, then absolutely that is the class for him.  He'll create his own Mod, and in the process learn Java."

My daughter is a rather visual learner. I'm having her do Youth digital's Mod Java before she tackles Homeschool Programming Java, mainly because she doesn't want to do more reading in her already packed curriculum. They both offer different projects which help with more practice. So when she finishes Youth Digital's Java, she'll do Homeschool programming next year. Since she plans on going into engineering she'll likely take the course again in college, lol!

Doing Game Design has taught my daughter the overall process to 'application' design. Since I work in this field during the day I know how important this is for newbie programmer types who are young.

But again, you know your kid, so meet them where they are at.

Do you think the Youth Digital is worth the price? Looks like it is 249.00? Or am I reading it wrong?

He is doing great with it. He is nearly done and wants to do the android one next. I think it is very well done. It's the first time DS has been so motivated to work through something like that and he does it on his own.

Good to know, as our DS's aren't too far apart in age. Mine is dying to learn Java, and yes, I just bought that on the sale too! I think these programs are great. We will just stick with them for the time being!

Good to know, as our DS's aren't too far apart in age. Mine is dying to learn Java, and yes, I just bought that on the sale too! I think these programs are great. We will just stick with them for the time being!

I looked at this one.....I really want to do it for ds13. Xh is a programmer and he thinks it looks good too.

I finally caved and got dh to ok it for my 10 yo.  He's already done a fair amount of scratch programming, and the minecraft part is inspiring for him - he has a friend who makes mods already, and wants to learn how.  

I think its just good to keep feeding them inspiration for tech, kwim?  

Could 2 kids share and still be able to get something out of it? Or should cheapskate me just buy 2 accounts?

I don't know, but it does say the price is PER student, just a thought..

I'm surprised by those who've started all ready considering I haven't gotten my info to start yet! :lol:

I don't know, but it does say the price is PER student, just a thought..

I'm surprised by those who've started all ready considering I haven't gotten my info to start yet! :lol:

The emails are being sent out over a 5 day period. Yours will arrive soon!

Doodle spent over 5 hours working on the course yesterday. I am trimming down today's school plan to just the basics to allow him more time to work on the mod design course again today. He really likes it.