Menu

Does anyone else have this weird ear problem?

J-rap

About 12 years ago, I woke up one morning to really painful ears.  So in other words, it happened very suddenly!  My doctor first thought it was an ear infection, and put me on several antibiotics over a period of about a year to help it.  It didn't, and I eventually was sent to an ear, nose and throat doctor and then an infectious disease doctor.  In the end, it just seems to be that my ears hurt under pressure.  No infections, no weird diseases.   Just super sensitive ears -- specifically, it seems to be my ear cartilage.  I don't know why it came about so suddenly, but ever since, my ear cartilage just appears to be super sensitive.  Sleeping on my ears hurts, wearing a hat that presses on my hears hurts.  Doctors can't figure it out but are no longer worried about it.  I'm not worried about it, but do think it's strange.  Particularly, because I found out that my older sister has the exact same problem, so it appears to be a hereditary disorder.  Does anyone else have this and know more about it than I do?

Do you swim a lot? Are they sure it's not swimmer's ear? Did they try Ofloxacin drops? My son had a similar issue, but it cleared up after 10 days on the drops. I'm not trying to doubt the ability of your doctors, but they see swimmer's ear a lot here.

No, I don't swim.  And it really isn't in my ear, it's in the cartilage around my ear.

No, I don't swim. And it really isn't in my ear, it's in the cartilage around my ear.

You can get swimmer's ear from just showers or baths, if water gets trapped. By cartilage around your ear, do you just mean the outer part of your ear? Because that is what hurts with swimmer's ear.

You can get swimmer's ear from just showers or baths, if water gets trapped. By cartilage around your ear, do you just mean the outer part of your ear? Because that is what hurts with swimmer's ear.

Yes, just the very outer part of my ears.  But wouldn't antibiotics have cured this?

Oral antibiotics don't usually help. You need antibiotic (or sometimes anti-fungal) ear drops to clear it up. Did they ever do any kind of drops?

No, never any drops.  Just pills.  It seems like this is something they would have known, though!  Strange!  Are the drops by prescription only?

No, never any drops. Just pills. It seems like this is something they would have known, though! Strange! Are the drops by prescription only?

Ds's doctor wrote an RX for the drops, and we picked them up at the pharmacy. I don't know if they are available OTC. I thought maybe it was a more common diagnosis here in a warm climate with lots of water sports?

But, it seems like after *12 years* it would have become bad enough for anyone to diagnose. Maybe you *had* an infection similar to this that managed to do some sort of permanent damage?

Ds's doctor wrote an RX for the drops, and we picked them up at the pharmacy. I don't know if they are available OTC. I thought maybe it was a more common diagnosis here in a warm climate with lots of water sports?

But, it seems like after *12 years* it would have become bad enough for anyone to diagnose. Maybe you *had* an infection similar to this that managed to do some sort of permanent damage?

Yes, you would think!  It was at its worst in the first three months or so.  Then, they were even bright red!  Now, they only hurt when pressure is applied, such as sleeping on a pillow or wearing a hat.  But the strange thing is that my sister has this same problem -- not quite as bad, but similar.  Which makes me think it is some other weird genetic condition!

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, but I'll just throw this out there: sometimes my ears hurt and it's because the surrounding muscles in my scalp are tight because of stress.  Massages help a lot - shoulders, then neck, then scalp.  Don't know how to do an ear massage...LOL

Hmmm, well that's something I never thought of!

I've had something similar this last week.  I have Eustachian tube dysfunction, and for the last week I've had a bad ear/sinus infection on one side.  When I lay on that side, the ear cartilage hurts.  Not a horrible pain, but enough to be really uncomfortable.  It's an inner ear infection, so I don't know why my outer ear hurts when I lay on it.  It sucks, though.  :grouphug:   

My son was laughing at me the other day because I was holding an ice pack to my ear to make the pain go away. It almost always happens to me upon waking. When I was a kid, my Mom said it was because I had scrunched my ear while sleeping on it. I don't ever remember them both hurting at the same time, so I think she's right. And it's my right ear much more often than my left, which makes sense because I sleep on my right side way more than on my left side. 

• 7 years later...

Yet another ZOMBIE THREAD BODY PART ALERT -- this time EARS!
(Resurrection of an old thread by 1st time poster, who is never "heard" of 😜 again... who is having their ear cartilage EATEN away -- Zombie-like, indeed!)

🧟‍♂️👂

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

• 1 year later...