Menu

Low fat dried bean dishes with no tomato/citrus/vinegar?

Laura Corin

Husband has been put on a diet by his doctor that has to avoid excessive fat and also acidic foods.  Beans sound like a good thing - I am currently cooking pinto beans with herbs and a little leftover gammon.  All my other bean recipes have tomato in them or are salads dressed with a fair bit of oil or citrus.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

L

Red beans and rice is a common dish in this area that might suit you. It is often made with sausage but does not have to be. It can be made spicy but I generally add onions and herbs instead since one person in my family won't eat spicy foods and another shouldn't eat spicy foods(but does anyway).

Ooh... heading off to find out what succotash is.

L

Sufferin' succotash! Actually, a lot of folks don't know what it is. It's a Native American dish with corn, squash, and beans. I made mine tonight with sundried tomatoes, butternut squash, baby lima beans, onions, carrots, red potatoes, and parmesan cheese.  :001_wub:

I love the combination of beans and greens.  I will flavour with onion and/or garlic and herbs.  If I have a bit of ham or sausage to add, I will, but I don't think it's necessary. Some favourites are:

Cannellini with swiss chard (seasoned with parsley and savoury)

Flageolets with kale (seasoned with marjoram, parsley and a pinch of sage)

Any red bean with spinach (seasoned with cumin, oregano and fresh cilantro, aka coriander)

I also like plainly cooked beans served alongside a well seasoned polenta or rice pilaf and lots of veggies.

Burritos: you can use either black beans or mashed pinto beans (I don't like the texture of whole pinto beans in a burrito but YMMV.) Add ingredients that you like: chili powder, cumin, onions, garlic ,sauteed peppers. Guacamole (is monosaturated fat okay?) without tomato is an excellent substitute for cheese--you still get that creamy flavor.

Lentil and brown rice soup: I use Jane Brody's recipe (I think you can find it online). It does have diced tomatoes in it, but they aren't necessary.

Hummus is garbanzo-bean based. You can make it without the tahini to reduce fat.