Menu

Calling all Moby Dick fans

This has become one of dd12's favorite books and she has read my copy 3 times. Of course now it's a bit tattered and she would like a new copy. Lol "Yours is kind of beat up, mom." Ummm geeee. Who could have done that???

So.... She has asked that I get her a book of her own for Christmas. Any recommendations for a great version? She has no preference for hard or soft cover.

Please provide links. :)

TIA!

Oh my lands, that's crazy!  I've met a human being who liked MD so much, but he was a lit professor who said he read it EVERY YEAR.  Made the whole class of us about BARF when we heard.  You could say we weren't MD lovers.   :lol:   So just know she's unusual and has great things ahead!  :D

Oh my lands, that's crazy! I've met a human being who liked MD so much, but he was a lit professor who said he read it EVERY YEAR. Made the whole class of us about BARF when we heard. You could say we weren't MD lovers. :lol: So just know she's unusual and has great things ahead! :D

I know, it's crazy, isn't it? The even crazier thing is her like of the book got my dd9 interested enough to read the abridged version of it (and dd9 doesn't care much for reading).

The worst of it is... I haven't read the book.

But I really enjoyed Don Quixote. So perhaps we are all a bit odd around these parts. Lol

umm wow.  She must be a really deep thinker and very patient too.  I HATED that book when I had to read it in 11th grade.  My AP class studied it together and my teacher had such a hard time keeping us interested he moved us into the teacher conference room to have round table style discussion on it.  We still didn't have much to discuss. LOL

THere IS MUCH to discuss but you have to be very patient and very mature to see it.   Your daughter must be a very special young lady.

My 9yo loves it too - she hasn't finished it herself yet, but I've read it aloud to her extensively, and she's listened to the audio book a few times.   She fell in love with it a couple of years ago while I was on my third pass through it.    

I've only read it 4 times which is the same amount my brother and sister have read it (we're a bit competitive).   I have the Easton Press edition, 2 kindle versions and the audio book.   ;)  

I personally think that the secret to appreciating Moby Dick is to acknowledge that the first edition had a printing error which caused a whaling manual to be interspersed in with Moby Dick.  Then they were too embarrassed, so they said "I meant to do that", like a cat that falls off the arm of the chair.  So, I just skipped the whaling manual chapters.  It is quite a page-turner if you do that. 

Ignore the haters :D

My favorite is the Barry Moser illustrated version. The original limited edition (250 copies) was published by Arion press. But those are too dear (and OoP).

http://www.arionpress.com/catalog/006.htm

The good news is the University of California Press made a Deluxe hardcover facsimile edition. The bad news is they now go for over $600. The good news is they decided to make a slightly smaller "trade edition," which is look like you can get for $76

IMO, this is the one to get.

http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520043541

Bill