Menu

Has anyone lost a diamond out of your wedding set and what did you have to do?

Prairie~Phlox

I just noticed yesterday that my diamond is gone.  Argh, I did call homeowners insurance and am waiting a call back.  Has anyone been through this process?  Did your homeowners cover it? What did you have to do to get it replaced?  We leave in a week on vacation and I would like to have this taken care of, we don't really have the money to do anything out of pocket, I would just have to get a plain band if that was the case, or check the pawn shop.

yes, i did have this happen :(  i have a 3 stone engagement ring. my center stone is a 1/2 carat & i lost it a few years ago - it fell out. i was totally devastated.  my wedding band is soldered to my engagement ring, so i couldn't even wear that.  i bought a fake moissanite ring to wear until we could replace the diamond in my wedding ring.  my ring was not insured, so it was not covered at all.  my husband just had it replaced 2 months ago.  i hope your insurance covers it! :grouphug:  diamonds aren't cheap for sure :(

We have riders on the insurance policies for special jewelry. Whether or not the insurance company covers it without a rider is up to the company. Do you have an appraisal of the ring? Sometimes they will ask for that when a claim is made.

You can pull your policy and read what's covered. Most regular homeowners policies cover about $2500 in jewelry loss. Depending on the policy, it may offer cash value or a replacement stone. You may decide it's not worth making a claim against your insurance depending on the stone that was lost. My engagement ring is insured through a separate policy that does not "ding" our homeowners if I had to make a claim. I had to get it appraised by a jeweler approved by the insurance company, and it has to be inspected every few years (2 or 5? I need to check...). I'd go pull any paperwork you have on the ring--receipt, appraisal, etc. to have on hand when the insurance company calls back.

I have nothing on the ring.  It's been over 18 years, dh bought the ring at Service Merchandise before they went under and the wedding band (that the ring fits into) was bought reduced at another jeweler in a small town that my parents live that was going out of business.  The engagement was just a simple ring with a 1/3 carat.

I lost mine a few months ago and was able to find it. I have no idea how long it had been gone but I scoured my house and found it against some books on a bookshelf. It was nowhere near where I was when I noticed I lost it- I was washing dishes when I lost it and feared it had gone down the drain. You may get lucky like me. I'd start scouring the house with a flashlight. The flashlight helps to spot the shiny. DH did have a policy on it as part of our insurance but we didn't claim it when I took it in to be fixed.